Why power supplies should not have rocker switches....

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
My cat just shut down my server/workstation by hitting the rocker switch on my power supply....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That sounds less like a power supply problem and more like a problem with how you have your equipment set up.

The only power supplies that don't have rocker switches are the very lowest quality models.

Handruin

Administrator
How big is your cat? I don't think I've ever had an issue where I've bumped or accidentally powered off my machine

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I really like having the switch there. You can turn off power but keep the chassis grounded. I really don't think we need to change things based on kids and animal interference.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That is more of a "Why animals should not be running loose around the computer room..." question. I'm guessing that no real harm was done, unlike what I read in other forums when a dog knocks over the tripod with 5 or 10K of gear on it.

Handruin

Administrator
There is no controlling my cat...it's her house not mine. She has full roam of my place.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The cat is half feral, 14 pounds, and, she likes to sleep behind the server. The power supply and video, combined with a squirrel exit fan make a nice heater.

I'd pushed it under the desk, not giving her enough room. So, as she stretched, she hit the power button, right in the middle of the Lakers Knicks 1972 championship game. SCARED me to death. Push button sounds better then rocker switch.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
TO CLARIFY THE RELATIONSHIP:

DOGS HAVE OWNERS.
CATS HAVE STAFF.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I'd think the cat hair would be more dangerous inside the computer than the cat hitting the rocker switch. Clogging up fans and creating electrical pathways. I'd try to keep my cat out of there.

My cat likes to try and sneak into the bottom of my printer stand/table right next to the UPS. I kick her out. I try not to let her in the office anyway as she gets locked in there if she goes in. I have to lock it to keep the kids out. One day I found my new ikea desk covered in glue and like 5 cds stuffed into the cd burner.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Our cat's litter pan & food are in opposite corners of my den. It's the most convenient room we have on the first floor for shutting her off when needed as the rest of that floor is an open plan. No fur issues to date and so far she has wandered around the PC but not really stayed or tried to do anything to it or the cables. She's just curious.

Every few months I do take a can of compressed air & blow out my case, but in general it's dust I'm clearing & not fur.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Computer is in the same room with her water and litter pan.

She won't drink out of anything but a running faucet, so the bathroom is on slow drip all the time, and, the litter box is in there.

IT IS HER HOUSE. Now, if she would just pay her rent...

Guess she took that part over from my girlfriend, who hasn't paid rent in about 8 years...

"Dogs think they're human. Cats think they're God. "
ROFL! Well said...

LOST6200

Storage is cool
We hade a gaetweay at the botom on the stairs to oprevents animals dfrom intrucing.