WHY, WHY, WHY DID I JUST SPEND MOST OF THE DAY TRYING TO A..

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
MAC TO PLAY GAMES????

I got the great idea of trying to get stuff to run on my mac. Now most of my games work ok, but they are 7X and 8X. I'm running 9.2.1, and, its a frigging nightmare to get the old games to work on it.

The machine is probably best with 8.6, but I can't remember why I upgraded, firewire, maybe?

I decided to go through all my stuff, and put it in three binders, one 7x, one 8x, and one 9x, rather then the one big one I have...

s

Handruin

Administrator
Serious sam is fun, and so is the second version. Greg, why the heck would you try to play games on a Mac anyway? :tounge:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Don't ask... Probably because it can look really good, using the Voodoo 5500 and the Sony monitor, and, perhaps I just hate to see all that software sit in a box.

The end result was, crashed system. Somehow I changed the setting for the video card to out of range for the monitor... The result being that the computer started up, but even with extensions off, no video out.

I had to reinstall my os, and most of my applications, after trashing most of the stuff I had.

It's truly amazing the kind of stuff you need to game on a mac. Hack drivers so I can use the Voodoo 5500 with games that are supposed to be written for Voodoo cards, but only work with the number one or three cards. Guess 3dfx wasn't very good at making the cards able to work with older games on the mac.

Back up and running and emailing, but it's not something I'm going to do again...

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Having less luck with Tiger Woods 2003 on the pc. Apparently the Matrox P650 driver is not working real well.

See if the patch fixes it. Just had to reinstall the entire game...

Do a complete install, then the game asks for the CD's? This one maybe going back.

Costco is a wonderful thing...

s

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Greg, If you are just bored you could take up the hobby of whittlin' toothpicks. Sounds more productive.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'll be washing my mouth out with soap for even thinking this but... buy an Xbox or something.

At least the *nix people have transgaming...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Get out the soap. One would think this box could play something besides Quake III.

I'm pretty sure the disks are defective. It kept looking for files that were not installed... and would not uninstall.

s

Grim

What is this storage?
Re: WHY, WHY, WHY DID I JUST SPEND MOST OF THE DAY TRYING TO

Santilli said:
...I'm running 9.2.1...

This has been bothering me for a bit. Do you have a post somewhere that explains why you continue to run MacOS 9? Note this question is coming from an old unix hand, that only took another look at Apple after MacOS X had been out for two years. (My beef with the Apple was that too much stuff was inaccessible to prying fingers. Great for users, not so great for power users.) I honestly don't know what has been broken between 9 and X.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Grim:

The components I have in my beige aren't really good, or supported with OS X.

Start with the Voodoo 5500 card, no drivers for it in OS X.

Oem ATTO UW card, was for a long time, unsupported in OS X. Don't know currently.

Beige isn't really supported, either, and loading OS X on it, requires expost facto, and new all of the above. Beige's ide is limited to 16 mb sec. Requires some kind of card to work. Tried Sonnet trio, hoping to get usb, and firewire, along with ATA 133. Found out from Sonnet that the problem with the beiges is insufficent memory for compressed drivers, so what appears to be pci card conflicts, in in fact a failing with the design of the machine.

that said, for what I use it for, all my old software runs on 8.6 to 9X, and, my entire school district runs os 9, because it's virus safe, and, the networking wiring is even setup for it...

While I like OS X, it feels awkward, weird, and the file organization, just isn't as easy. I don't feel like springing for another version of OS X(already have Jaguar on my Powerbook, and hardly ever use it).

OS 9 is speedy, and works for what I use macs for...and it's firewire compatible, with just a plain firewire card.

Sides, I don't much like all the fancy stuff that makes OS X appeal to people. It seems bloated, slow, and weird, and I've run it on some really nice machines.

Guys tell me it takes 1.5 gig of ram to really run quickly. Plus, I can't get my scsi stuff to work, without having to rebuy everything. Why bother?

Finally, everytime I look at it, the hardware, and software, require upgrades or replacement. Having owned macs for awhile, I get sick of the constant bleeding caused by the constant upgrades, and, all the upgrades required on your hardware.

So, in the end, I went back to the stuff that either came with it, or worked in the past, and it works fine for what I need it to do, which is keep virus crap away from my machine.

It's funny, but OS 9 gets a bit better all the time, and continues to work.

s