Wii

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Way behind the times here but my 4 year old just got a Wii. I got it installed, have not played any games yet but connected it to the internet and downloaded all the updates etc.

What's good on the Wii for little ones? Anything I should know these systems? Good accessories to get? How about decent FPS's for me?

Thanks,
Clocker

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Basically, if you have Wii Sports, you already have the only decent thing that's available for Wii. Everything else might as well be a Gamecube game but with some stupid motion control gimmick.

I gave my Wii away a few weeks ago after I realized that I hadn't even had it plugged in for over two years.

Wii Boxing, Bowling and Tennis are kind of fun. If you like the stupid motion gimmicks and want something a kid might like, maybe try Cooking Mama or something.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
"How about decent FPS's for me?"

Not on the Wii. Maybe on the WiiU coming out 2012 that will be more technically proficient. Gonna cost far more than a Wii 1 tho.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Bought Super Mario Bros. for the kids for Xmas and they love it (neither are teenagers yet). Another vote for Sports and Sports Resort.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
To watch out for:

There are some spectacular YouTube videos of people damaging ceiling fans, lamps and the TVs themselves with help from the Wii.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
"How about decent FPS's for me?"

Not on the Wii. Maybe on the WiiU coming out 2012 that will be more technically proficient. Gonna cost far more than a Wii 1 tho.

The WiiU looks like it will have a similarly retarded (in the sense that it creates an obstacle, though I suppose the other definition fits as well) level of graphics horsepower, with the big gimmick that it comes with some kind of weak-ass quasi-tablet built in to its controller.

On one hand I suppose that's a logical reaction to cellphone games' ascendancy, but crap if they're going to do that, why not just bring out a Gameboy-branded NintenPad or something?

Sol

Storage is cool
The best games on the Wii are generally the first party ones. I've enjoyed the Zelda games, the best FPS is probably Metroid and Mario Galaxy is generally well thought of (Might be a little advanced for a 4 year old but there is an option for one player to play and a second to help with another controller).
If you're at all in to on-rails shooters House of the Dead Overkill is a good option. (Not one for the kids though) Monster Hunter Tri and Xenoblade Chronicles are both good examples of their genres, but whether you'd enjoy them depends entirely on whether you enjoy those types of games.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
At age 4 he is still young for a wii. A leapster maybe or tag reader. Unless he's ahead of the curve.

The mario galaxy games were good but controls a bit difficult for younger players.
Mario Kart is my default recommendation for younger players. You can even get the wii wheel if you want to make it easier. It is just one button pushing and steering most of the time. And it is fun for old and young alike.
There is another racing game for kids a bit older that involves monster trucks called Excite Truck. This one has more controls to learn and tricks you can do. It is lots of fun.