Win 7 OEM

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
On Aug 21, in the Win 7 thread, I wrote:

"What's this I just found out about OEM versions not for end-users / hobbyists? If you don't use the pre-installation kit, don't put it on a brand new PC, and don't sell the PC to an unknown person, you're in violation of the license terms. I ordered OEM Win 7 Pro barely 10 days ago. I paid for and never used that pos, Vista, purchased in 2007. MS is getting senile in their old age."

The order was placed on Amazon and shipped to CA; somebody coming over from there brought it for me and I got my hands on it last night.

All of the stuff I wrote about is on the cardboard jacket that surrounds the DVD case. Worse, there is a comment in bold red that says it is for distribution only in the U.S. and Canada. The fine text says it may not activate elsewhere.

My concerns right now are:
a) Will it install without the OEM Pre-installation kit
b) Will it activate
c) Should I forget it and try to return it back to Amz (it'll be a while - next person going to the U.S. will have to return it for me)

Can anybody shed some light on this situation?

Thanks.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry, I don't know specifics about that.

You might be able to setup a proxy or VPN tunnel with a computer over here in order to get it activated. Just a thought.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Howell & DD. I can't get to it this week, perhaps the next.

The big decision is whether to break the seal on the packaging or not.

There is the possibility that they will refuse to activate if they cannot authenticate that the IP address is from the U.S. & Canada, so that may rule out the TOR option. I guess the only way out is to try. If it doesn't work, I'm out $140.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I suspect that it will activate just fine. Anecdotally, my brother just had to re-activate a US OEM Vista system in the Czech Republic and that was OK.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks all. I'm also going to talk to the IT guys at work to see if I can web VPN into our U.S. proxy server and activate from there.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I should give you 30 days to activate giving you plenty of time to install the VPN client and click through the activation. Good Luck!