Windows 11

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
Windows 11 was released to the public today. You can get it using the Windows Upgrade Assistant or wait for Windows Update if you have a qualifying system.

Handruin

Administrator
I assume TPM needs to already be enabled for Windows Update to consider the system qualified for an upgrade?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So I should turn off the TPM to disable Windows 11?

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
I assume TPM needs to already be enabled for Windows Update to consider the system qualified for an upgrade?

That appears to be the case. I don't have anything that immediately qualifies aside from my big desktop at home. I suppose I'll find out, but I'm not super thrilled for it.

Here's what I can say so far: I clean installed Windows 11 on an i5 NUC and upgraded an Asus Zenbook with a 4000-series Ryzen 7. Both had nVMe drives and 16GB RAM. The clean install took about 15 minutes, a little longer than 10 takes. The upgraded Windows 10 took about 45 minutes to finish.

My clean Windows 11 install accepted and activated from a Windows 7 Pro product key.

Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp are among the suggested apps in the Start Menu. I don't remember that being the case in the beta, but it's possible I just didn't notice. The Widgets don't work if you aren't signed in to a Microsoft account. I actually did like the News and Weather Live Tiles in the start menu. I know there's some concern there might be a performance hit with games, but the systems I'm looking at don't really give me a way to look in to that.

I don't think Windows 11's default fonts look as good as Windows 10's. I'm on FHD screens on both computers. It might be a case where it's optimized for higher DPI screens.

LunarMist

Is there something like OpenShells for 11 to keep the GUI under control?

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
I think there are a couple third parties offering Start Menu replacements. The thing that drives more nuts more than that is that Microsoft moved the OG Context ("right click") Menu so that it's now a second-level submenu.

11 is also mildly clueless about printers; you get the Microsoft drivers for most things auto-installed, but it didn't recognize LAN-enabled plotters or document center-type printers, and installing Windows 10 drivers for Brother and Canon printers from manufacturer executables often generated application crashes. Microsoft drivers allow for basic printing, but not things like paper type selection or double sided printing, so they're hardly ideal. In this way it isn't much different from 10, but it was an area I thought might be a bit better.

I wound up having to mess with the Cleartype setting on both Windows 11 systems. I literally never even looked at those on 10. I'm not sure why it's a problem on 11.

LunarMist

Windows drivers for a 4-color SOHO printer might be OK, but not a photo printer. For example I noticed that Epson claims the drivers for the SC P7000/P9000 claim support for 11. Whether it will actually work I have no idea.
I suffered with the inability to properly scan on some older devices when 10 came out. I have a ticket to Hamrick to see if the current version will work under 11.🤞

LunarMist

So I D/L and installed 11 clean and the GUI sucks. The scaling is borked so everything is blurry.
Many items are no longer easily accessible. It's like they are trying to make it more difficult to do simple things. :mad:
I'm sure there are workarounds, but it's not close to being worthwhile.
It is necessary to enable the TPM thing in the BIOS to install the OS, but then I was able to disable it and the computer continues to boot. (I'm not online nor is Windows activated, so that may change after a while.) That seemingly contradicts the supposed need for TPM security.

Last edited:

sedrosken

Florida Man
Yeah, there was a big hoopla with the leaked beta builds where they supposedly needed TPM, but only to install. "Fixed" builds were circulating just hours later. Getting force-updated to Win11 might just be the last straw that makes me figure out how to do GPU passthrough to a VM through KVM in Linux -- I've been looking for an excuse to for a pretty long while now, but I'm hanging up on finding a decent low-power card for cheap enough that can still adequately drive dual displays and decode VP9 in hardware. Preferably a Radeon so I don't have to fuss around with the proprietary nVidia drivers, though if a 1030 winds up being what I need, I guess that's just how it goes. I almost wish higher-end Ryzen CPUs still had iGPs, even if just for a fallback, but I understand not wanting to waste even more power on that. I also wonder about an equivalent to the Ryzen Master software that enables my PBO to function more intelligently.

The thing about it is, WINE/Proton have come a long way, yes, and in general I'd say that you can get most things working on Linux through them now, but I made some stupid purchases and some of those will flat-out never run on Linux regardless of emulation/compatibility layers.

LunarMist

I expect that most of the "badness" in Win 11 will get into Win 10 through updates.
MS may remove the TPM requirement later since it is mainly artificial, but they won't do it soon.
The two concerns I had with 10 from the beginning are that 1) a change may render my critical older programs unusable and 2) that new programs will have to be obtained from a central store. I don't see 11 being any different yet.

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
Anyone tried installing on "unsupported" hardware yet? It looks like there are working scripts to bypass secure boot and TPM, but I didn't have the strength to spend any time on it this weekend, but I have a Lenovo m83 sitting here with with an i7-4785 and 32G RAM that I'm about to try to upgrade.

The weirdness with fonts really bothers me. How can Windows 11 be this bad with something Microsoft has gotten right basically since Windows Vista? So far I haven't seen a Windows 11 system with what I'd call good looking fonts out of the box. They ALL have to be tuned. Maybe it'll be different on new machines shipped with 11, but right now that's a pretty big disappointment.

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
My "unsupported" m83 only needed about 30 minutes to upgrade. It's a relatively vanilla PC with Office 2013 and some basic developer tool installed. Windows Update doesn't seem to do anything, but I can run the Offline Updater if I have to.

Apparently, Office 2013 is unsupported on Windows 11, which is pretty lame. I know it's still fairly common as an operating standard.

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
I guess the requirements to mess with the Android on Windows 11 are fairly hefty; 8GB RAM and a 3000-series Ryzen. From what I've read so far, people aren't having much luck getting the Play Store framework to run, although it's not that hard to get individual apps sideloaded.

Does anyone else think it's funny that the most exciting things about Windows 11 are graphical Linux software and running mobile-only Android messaging applications?