Windows Update fubar'ed for illegal owners

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
It looks like M$ is putting some heat on people that are using the warez versions of XP.

Quoted from Warp2Search:
"It looks as if M$ is getting tougher now on users of Windows XP (Devils0wn). For all you people that don't know what that is, it's the cracked copy of Windows XP.

Microsoft has now implemented a new feature in WINDOWS UPDATE, so that users who are running the illegal copies of windows, are unable to use the windows update features.

Users will get numerous messages including

"No Updates Found" or "No Updates Available".

It's M$'s next step to try get people to shell out the $$$ for their OS. Most updates can be downloaded manually if you really want, but it's an annoyance.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I though they would have done that sooner. However, if one could still download the updates manually, how effective is it really?

Steve

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
Groltz said:
It looks like M$ is putting some heat on people that are using the warez versions of XP...

If these folks *really* need WinXP so bad (I don't see why, if they already presumably have Win2K), they might as well just buy an WinXP upgrade copy and upgrade from their pirated Windows 95 / 98 / ME / NT4 / NT3.51 / 2000 copy for US$89.

All this cracking and fiddle-farting around with software sounds like a major drain to me. I just don't see why it's worth pissing one's life away in an imaginary war just to save US$89 ~ $199.

Groltz

GIANT said:
If these folks *really* need WinXP so bad (I don't see why, if they already presumably have Win2K), they might as well just buy an WinXP upgrade copy and upgrade from their pirated Windows 95 / 98 / ME / NT4 / NT3.51 / 2000 copy for US$89.

All this cracking and fiddle-farting around with software sounds like a major drain to me. I just don't see why it's worth pissing one's life away in an imaginary war just to save US$89 ~ $199.

I'm not positive Gary, but that "Devil's Own" warez version of XP may be a corporate version. In that case, the user of same would have the advantage of no activation procedure. I think that issue might be why it is so popular, besides the fact it can be downloaded for free.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
That's how some students are like simply because they have more time than money. 6 years ago, I remember walking all over Montreal to find a 4 meter printer cable for $10 US because I didn't want to pay Future Shop $30 for the same thing. I saved $20, which went towards a steak dinner that weekend. :)

Nowadays, I feel the same way as you do, but I have the luxury of having more money than time. 6 years ago, I didn't.

it's-fubar

What is this storage?
I very much resent the title of this thread. A sincere apology from the author is required or I shall be forced to defend my honor. :evil:

Groltz

it's-fubar said:
I very much resent the title of this thread. A sincere apology from the author is required or I shall be forced to defend my honor. :evil:

Uh-huh

...Actually, I'll tell you what...If you add a new member to our FAH team that generates a minimum of 50 points/week, (without taking away from any of the existing team members) I will apologize.