Windows XP to Vista?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I'm (slowly) working on putting together a new computer, likely for assemblage in late January to late February. I want to run Windows XP Pro and maybe the Vista equivalent. I've heard it's cheaper to get XP Pro OEM (~$140) now with a free upgrade coupon to Vista. Plus that way if Vista blows I can just go back to XP. Does anybody know for sure? Any problems with this approach? The chart below doesn't help me much other than suggestion that I'll be able to go from XP Pro to Vista Premium, but does that mean that my upgrade coupon will be for Vista Premium?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060730-7384.html

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Upgrading from XP to Vista is a not a good idea. It takes hours and leaves a bloated mess on your computer. Going back never worked for me during testing. It always ended up as 'format c:'
I didn't have an 'upgrade disk' to see if you could do a clean install from it.

Besides, I haven't found any compelling reason to upgrade, especially to Premium over XP.

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not.

ddrueding

Fixture
If you want to use XP and play with Vista, this is the most affordable way to end up with a licence for both. Do not actually "upgrade" from XP to Vista (or from any MS OS to any other for that matter). Do a clean install every time.

Adcadet

Storage Freak