WinXP Mirrored Volume Increased Read Speeds?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I was just wondering, is there an increase in read speeds when using WinXP dynamic mirrored volumes?

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There wasn't in NT or 2000. I'd venture a guess and say you're not going to get it in XP, either.

If you want "performance RAID1", you could do a lot worse than a 3ware card.

Handruin

Administrator
I tried to make a mirrored RAID 1 volume in XP and it doesn't allow me to. What am I doing wrong?? I converted my disks to dynamic and I tried numerous methods to create a mirrored disk but I wasn't given the option.

I don't believe this is supported in XP for some reason...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd try this on my system but I can't really right now...did you follow these instructions provided by Windows, Doug? Usually, the LAST place I look is in Windows HELP but it is actually really good. I don't know why I don't look there more:

Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

Right-click the unallocated space on one of the dynamic disks on which you want to create the mirrored volume, and then click New Volume.
In the New Volume Wizard, click Next, click Mirrored, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
You can create mirrored volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.
You need two dynamic disks to create a mirrored volume.
You can mirror an existing simple volume.
Mirrored volumes are fault tolerant and use RAID-1, which provides redundancy by creating two identical copies of a volume.
Mirrored volumes cannot be extended or striped.
Both copies (mirrors) of the mirrored volume share the same drive letter.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Whoops.

XP DOES NOT, repeat DOES NOT support mirroring. Software RAID1 and RAID5 are the province of server editions of NT. XP, like NT4W and 2000Pro, can only do striping.

You may now beat me with my MCSE ID card.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Whoops.

XP DOES NOT, repeat DOES NOT support mirroring. Software RAID1 and RAID5 are the province of server editions of NT. XP, like NT4W and 2000Pro, can only do striping.

I'll let Tsar Tannin start the beating.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Whoops.

We'll just take your card away from you. :mrgrn: