Women's surfing comes of age...These girls/women rip

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
This last women's surfing contest at Snapper Rocks saw the dawn of a new era in women's surfing. Carissa Moore has completed a few steps started by Layne Beachly, and, we now have women that surf VERY well, in fact, so well a combined world tour may not be out of the realm of possibility.

For a bit of fun, have a look here:

http://www.roxypro.com.au/videos.en.html#20110226070521VIDE766330902021dmlkZW8=

Both Tyler Wright and Clarissa Moore, and Sally Fitzgibons surf VERY well.

Then compare with

http://www.quiksilverpro.com/

While it's pretty clear Kelly Slater is in a class all his own, the gap has narrowed, more then ever.

When I was in Santa Cruz we had two women,
Jane McKenzie, and Brenda Scott that surfed much like Clarissa, but without the 360's.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think they would be even better if they were wearing thin foil suit to prevent cosmic rays from diminishing their performances.:rolleyes:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Or perhaps they need to be hardwired with ECC ram. Maybe that's Kelly's secret:)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"Leave a Message"

Shot mainly in the tropics: Pro women top surfers. Great moves, beautiful women, tropical incredible beauty, moving women's surfing to another level. Incredible...

You really need to see this movie. ...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Tradition at Bells for the winner. Don't know how real but, the guys do it too.
The winner is painted up, and they play a horn, IIRC.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm surprised we don't see you over in the DSLR thread. You could be capturing some pictures of these women surfers that you enjoy in high megapixel goodness.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm surprised we don't see you over in the DSLR thread. You could be capturing some pictures of these women surfers that you enjoy in high megapixel goodness.

Normally high megapickels are not needed. Nowadays 1D MK III/IV or D3/D3s with 600/4 or maybe 500/4 are commonly used for the long lens and an assortment of zooms for the land and entering water stuff.

Handruin

Administrator
Normally high megapickels are not needed. Nowadays 1D MK III/IV or D3/D3s with 600/4 or maybe 500/4 are commonly used for the long lens and an assortment of zooms for the land and entering water stuff.

Sure they are if you want to print out a posted to put on your bedroom wall and see ever hair follicle and pimples! ;-)

I wasn't meaning to start a serious discussion of hard core camera specs and the different needs required for sport/surfing photography.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm happy with what I've got:
Nikon D50, made in China I think. Don't see much difference between that, Canon, and any of the others these days. Telephoto zoom is up to around 400MM, IIRC, not really enough for good surf work, though I haven't tried it, much. Also came with a 35-150MM zoom, around 1000 dollars for the package.

I did get my water camera back from my mother:

A Nikonos III, made in Japan, with an actual 50MM lens, made in Japan by Nikon, back in the old days. It's still takes some of the clearest, most incredible pictures ever, at least in 35MM.