Xeon solution vs. P4 for single processor?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I'm looking for a motherboard and processor to run Windows 2000 on.

It's a value deal, and I'm wondering if I would be better off using a motherboard with a xeon processor, so I could use hyperthreading, or the P4, without it.

I guess I might also consider a dual capable motherboard, use one processor, with upgrading to, or starting with XP.

Apps are Photoshop, IE, DVD rippers, DVD players, cd burning, etc.

My tendency is towards Supermicro motherboards, or Intel, but all solutions are entertained, including Athlons.

Thanks

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Processors in the 2.8 ghz or better area was what I had in mind.

Thanks

s

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
G-
You don't need a Xeon to have a HT processor. I believe all the P4s (except the pretty old ones) now have HT.

C

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
If we are talking stbility and outstanding value for money, you want an Athlon XP 2500 on a VIA KT-600 mainboard. Biostar, Gigabyte, any brand that's decently reputable. KT-600s are bulletproof, and the 2500 is the stand-out bang for buck chip on the market today.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If it's Intel then the P4 is the best value. I believe all P4s are HT enabled. Intel makes some reasonable motherboards with 800MHz FSB and onboard video and sound. Stability is paramount with these motherboards.

P4 2.8c Northwood $181.00 The Northwood are NOT the room heaters)
Intel D865GBF $83.75 w/ video and sound.
Add a CPU heatsink and fan to your liking.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Briefly, I concur with Tannin regarding the XP2500 + VT600 combination.
Buying an Intel-based solution right now, ESPECIALLY a massively overpriced Xeon, just seems silly to me.

If I wanted or needed performance I'd look at any form of Athlon 64. Since about 95% of people in the computing world don't need performance, even those are pretty much overkill. Athlon64s - even the cheap socket 754 ones, seems to be the best thing around these days.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The Athlon XP 2500+ coupled with the a KT-600 board, like the Gigabyte GA-7VT600P-RZ, makes for an excellent system, especially for the price. However, if you are looking at the current higher-end processors, let’s say the Athlon XP 3200+ through to the new Intel P4 570, the Athlon 64 3400+ Socket 754 (2.4 GHz; 512 KB L2; 1 Channel memory) comes out right in the middle of the pack (performance-wise) for Photoshop work along with video and audio encoding. The Athlon 64 3400+ s754 works well with the Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 motherboard. Interestingly, this is the CPU with the biggest recent price drop for me. The Semprons and s939 chips have been steady with their price, but the high-end Socket 754s have finally dropped out of the realm of thievery.

One thing I would avoid for Photoshop work is integrated video (especially from Intel and VIA), and I would try to manage a separate scratch disk/pagefile disk, plus a healthy dose of RAM (which I’m sure you are already aware of).

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What dual boards, and what processors would you use, if you are trying to do it on a budget? I really like the idea of starting with one processor, on a dual board, and, if you are having problems with speed, or processing, adding another.

Any economy Athlon MP solutions?

s

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Athlon MPs are a deprecated solution. Anything you can get at this point would be "kinda slow" to begin with. Dual Opterons, on the other hand...

Sun makes a very nice dual opteron system that sells for shockingly small sums of money on ebay - $1500 - $2000 for dual FX53s with 2GB of RAM.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Santilli said:
What dual boards, and what processors would you use, if you are trying to do it on a budget? I really like the idea of starting with one processor, on a dual board, and, if you are having problems with speed, or processing, adding another.

s

The problem is that even if you go for a single CPU now, the cost of a decent dual mobo is significant. Even if you can then get a matching second CPU down the track for a fraction of the original price, it still may be cheaper to just get a fast cpu+mobo now, and then a new cpu+mobo when price/performance has improved.

AthlonMP memory performance leaves a lot to be desired nowadays.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
One has to wonder about this line of reasoning.

A Xeon 2.8 is around is about 220 bucks.

$176 - Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800MHz 775
$171 - Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800MHz
$207 - Pentium 4 3.06GHz 533MHz
$158 - Pentium 4 2.8GHz Prescott

Above from pricewatch.

That's 60 bucks different from the prescott 2.8 ghz.

$204 - Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800MHz . Everything else above this is WAY to expensive to consider.

Now the P 4 3.2 is cheaper, but, is there really that much difference between a 2.8 ghz, Xeon, and a P 4 3.2 ghz, that you can't expand?

Now dual motherboards can be found for around 106 bucks, refurbs admittedly, for Xeon 3.06 ghz and down, and, they are Supermico.

I wonder...

s