XP 64bit

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
MS will soon release SP2 for Server 2003 and XP 64bit.
If you have the chance, try XP 64bit with SP2. The performance great. This is what XP 64bit should have been.
For those who like to use Server for a work station: the same service pack works on XP 64bit and Server 2003. Kinda tells you what XP 64bit really is. :)
No need for a Server cludge program to run XP apps. ;-)

Bozo :joker:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
What are the improvements?

Now that there appears to be a workable driver for my sound card, I will be looking to switch to x64.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
What are the improvements?

I'm not ignoing you. It has the usual patches and hotfixes. I was looking for more info.
To me, it looks and feels like they did some tuning to the entire OS. It is noticably faster and more responsive than XP or XP 64bit.
Drivers will still be an issue for some. This is not MS's fault. If the hardware manufacture does not supply them, then it's their fault.
In my testing virtually anything Intel works. ( duh)

Bozo :joker:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Drivers have really been my only hang-up on Windows x64, which is a real shame.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
MS will soon release SP2 for Server 2003 and XP 64bit.
If you have the chance, try XP 64bit with SP2. The performance great. This is what XP 64bit should have been.
Any confirmation on the actual release date?

I need to do a reinstall of my system, and may until wait SP2 comes out before doing so...

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who have XP x64 drivers for all their hardware! To be honest x64 feels faster than 32bit XP from the get go, when I updated to the x64 version. If SP2 brings further improvements, it'll mean holding off upgrading hardware for a while! (but I'm still considering Vista x64 due to work-related demands, but that'll be a triple boot setup - Vista, XP and FreeBSD instead of just XP and FreeBSD at the moment).