XP computers in a business environment

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Santilli
Storage? I am Storage! Santilli's Avatar

Sounds like my house...

The Beast, which DD is working on, is down. I've had to move to move the HTPC in, and I'm now doing my business stuff on it.

I kept the HTPC on XP3 because of a lack of drivers in 7 for the sound card and printer. I do understand why people keep XP around. Some
of the old hardware was just REALLY good, and lasts forever. Examples are my Xerox printer/copier, 130 something, and the HP 4000N that continues to run
perfectly. Both bought around 2000, and still going strong. Hard to throw away a $1200-1700 printer that works flawlessly.

Why doesn't anyone make DVI monitors anymore??? Samsungs' are all HDMI or analog. Thank God for Costco's return policy...
The sad part for me is the apparent similarities in certain areas, where XP and 7 are both similarly slow. Even with the hardware in the Beast, their are spots where 7 slows, as does XP on the 3800+ X2 Athlon.

I run two XP3 machines now. The Panasonic laptops don't have drivers for 7, so they stay on XP. Both machines use Peerblock, windows firewalls, and Avast and or Nod32.

I download a lot of stuff, and it's been a very long time since a scan has nailed a bad file, trojan, or virus.

Still, it does happen.

I try and use Firefox for just about everything...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
How is Samsung relevant to XP support?

I run Samsung products on XP.

Is considering they are the ONLY monitors offered by Costco, that is relevant, don't you think????

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How is Samsung relevant to XP support?

I run Samsung products on XP.

Is considering they are the ONLY monitors offered by Costco, that is relevant, don't you think????

That is truly bizarre logic. The monitor is OS agnostic. And why must you buy at Costco?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Get an American Express card. Their return policy is very good. So is the warranty.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Teehee, anyway I get shopping for monitors at costco because not everyone has the money for 4k displays. No costco around here, so that leaves meijer and walmart. Sadly there the monitors tend to be bundled with full machines.

(shudder)

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm wary of some of the stuff Costco sells. I bought a 27" Samsung monitor there and when I Googled the model number off the back of the monitor, the only hits I got were for Costco. The model number wasn't listed on the Samsung site either. I could find models that were close, but the last digit of the model number was always different.
Special models made for Costco? Lacking some features? Don't know, but it worked.

ddrueding

Fixture
Special models made for Costco so they can avoid price matching. HP printers used to have 4-5 versions of each printer for the different resellers.

Edit: Nothing was actually different, just the letter.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It's a very common one that has been in existence as long as I can remember. I can remember trying to buy a mattress coming out of HS and going from store to store and never finding two identical models # that I could use for price matching or even price comparison.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a few people a week asking for such things. Some of them are removed enough from my operations that I just tell them to Google for something. That will help, thanks!