XP Tablet Edition: Can't Login?

ddrueding

Fixture
One of my laptops is a Gateway Tablet: Model CX2726

After restoring a backup image via acronis, it boots to the screen right before the login screen; a blue one that has the "Microsoft Windows XP" logo (you've all seen it before) and stops. Occasionaly, if I let it sit there, I will see the login screen appear for a frame and then it's gone. Same thing (at a different resolution) in safe mode, last known good does nothing. Alt-Ctrl-Del does nothing. The mouse is still responsive, and the Tablet specific buttons bring up error messages (as they should at this point), so it's not locked up.

Help?

ddrueding

Fixture
Unfortunatly, this laptop requires an "F6" SATA driver to install the OS, and I don't have a USB floppy handy. I tried slipstreaming the driver and it didn't work :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Could you maybe pull the drive and work on it in something with similar hardware? A desktop with an intel chipset would be a good start.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yes, that is a good idea, but I don't happen to have any of those lying around. I'm getting close to ordering another "restore CD" from Gateway (mine is lost).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
People ask me why I have so many computers. Stupid crap like what you're describing is a big part of the reason.

ddrueding

Fixture
Completely new install, exact same issue. I also tried re-restoring an older image that was working perfectly. Same issue. WHat drives me nuts is that it is SO CLOSE to working properly. I can see the login screen flash by every few seconds.

ddrueding

Fixture
As an update; I just threw in an Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft CD and it booted fine, detecting everything but the touch screen and wifi card without me touching it. SWEET!

ddrueding

Fixture
Ubuntu installed fine, and performed quite well, but it isn't ready for prime-time as a workstation yet; even if the only complaint is that is has a clunky UI.

As another note, Vista Ultimate went right on as well, not requiring a driver disk.