XP3200+ Stability issues

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
While I personally haven't had any problems with XP3200s, I've had some dicussions with another tech recently in which he suggests that there are inherent stability problems with that processor.

I've installed six of them to date, all but one on a Gigabyte VT600-based board (the exception used an Asus nforce2).

His have ranged, across several brands (Gigabyte, AOpen, Epox, Abit) of KT600 and nforce2 400-based boards. He claims to see consistent random lockups, boot errors and FS corruption, and also claims that these problems are allieviated by installing Barton XP3000s or 2800s. Temps on these "bad" chips - according to him - don't typically exceed 45C. He's so convinced of a defect in these chips he was willing to swap me a new XP3200 for an XP2500.

We both always buy and use retail chips and HSFs. I HAVE noticed substantial variations in the retail HSF combos available with that chip. Some have full copper bottoms, others copper slugs, others still are simply oversized AMD-approved variations on the Speeze Bigrock.

Anyway, given his fantastic offer, I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. Has anyone else had issues with XP3200 chips?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hi Merc. I run my 2500+ at 3200+ speed without any problems (and that is my Folding machine). I'm just using one of those slow spinning 80mm fan Speeze coolers with the copper slug inside (Falconrock?). It's running at default voltage although I used to slightly overvolt it (by about 0.25v).

Never experienced any stability problems with this machine and I've had the CPU temp at 60C+ a couple times (I won't go into why)..

I think it is most likely the installer rather than the processor.

Clocker

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
First thing that struck me was the FSB, any possibility of memory problem or something similar? Have to check, but isn't the 2800 a 333FSB, the 3000 can be had as 333 and 400, and the 3200 as 400FSB?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I'll take 3 to 1 it's bus speed or RAM problems. Or, another possibility, Nvidia chipset problems. We have sold exactly one 3200 and had problems with it. Swapped boards three times. (More ASUS crap.) Not sure what finally eventuated, as the guy who bought it is one of those people who wants to buy everything $3 above your cost because he can "do all his own work", never orders anything you have in stock, always wants weird stuff, and then if he can't get it working right we have to spend the time sorting it for him anyway. That aside, he's a nice guy, but in the end we get tired of losing money every time we see him.

Anyway, I don't trust 3200s. I don't think that 400MHz FSB Athlons sell in enough volume to guarantee stable product. In particular, I wouldn't trust one unless it had A1 RAM fitted (our Geil, for example). Even then I'd rather a 3000.

If you want to go faster than that, it's Athlon 64 time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
ddrueding said:
For systems more powerful than the XP2500s I use for basic workstations, I've switched to A64 2800 and 3000s.

Funny thing about that: The "big number" remains the big draw. 3200 is more than 3000, and despite my best efforts, it's very difficult to convince some people that an A64/3000 is in fact faster than a XP/3200. At some point I think it's more of a bragging rights issue.

The other funny thing I run into is I have an easier time convincing people to go with more expensive chips than more expensive motherboards. For WHATEVER reason I can sell more XP3200s + VT600 combos than A64/2800 + K8VT800M even though the price AND performance wind up being more-or-less identical.

For the future, however, I'm planning to move my builds except "extra-budget" units to Athlon 64s. I really can't think of a good reason not to.

ddrueding

Fixture
I think I've built my last non-64bit system. I just built a basic office machine based on a MSI K8T Neo FSR motherboard (I love these things, used about 40 of them) and a A64 2800+. The price premium is so negligible, and I have no problem selling the "future-proofing" capability of an A64.

I've been having a really good time with the mobile A64 chips; nothing like an 80F 2800+ CPU.