XPde : XP-like desktop environment for Linux.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Version 0.2 of XPde has been released and can be downloaded from here. It's based on X11 and (obviously) looks like a Windows XP desktop, but under the Linux operating system. I'm downloading it, but given my skills and legendary patience with Linux, I probably wont be able to make it run on my Mandrake box (I'm getting used to failures under Linux).

I don't know if it's good/bad, light or bloated. I simply know it exist and post it as a curiosity. If more experimented Linux users want to give it a shot and post their impressions, they are welcome. I don't expect too much from something that's only in revision 0.2 though.

logo.gif

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Oh and I don't know why, but I'm fairly familiar with their front page. Strange impression of déjà vu, just like if I visited (administered) something similar in the past. Weird, isn't it?

Handruin

Administrator
php-nuke...xoops was based on it. :) I'll get my ass in gear to get you a download's section. I know buck is itching for it too.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't think we used php-nuke in production if you know what I mean. You helped me test the older version of php-nuke in the area 51 section on the old server.

I think we settled on xoops after enough people asked us to get a front page up and running. It had the better admin interface at the time. Now there is no admin interface...except the news of course.

I've looked in the past for a decent download manager but was unable to find one. I'm hesitant to write my own because that could be scary. I'll keeping hunting, and I'll let you know what I find.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
What do you guys think of linux imitating windows?

Is it a good idea to immitate windows.. or will it make people wonder why/if they should switch?

I think windows 2000 has the best default interface, XP was a big step down as far as control panel and start menu organization is concerned... maybe that depends on how organized you were when creating start menu items though...

Win2k and XP obviously have stability that rivals most linux distros.. and all have arguably more than enough stability for the average PC user.

So why should someone on a PC switch? Ease of use(interface) and available programs... and compatibility... i guess

So this Xpde might address the 1st problem... but it still won't give me a linux version of Photoshop (Something that I'd require in order to do a full switch to linux)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think it's stupid to steal Microsoft's UIs. Microsoft's interfaces tend to be flawed (the classic example being "Click on Start to Shut Down") and certainly non-intuitive to an inexperienced user. I believe an ideal interface is adaptive. An experienced user should have more options or faster ways to accomplish a task than a newbie. Microsoft loses there, too. Heck, in XP, with personalized menus turned on, if you use a PC for awhile, options get taken away (fine. Hidden) from a user.

I don't think interfaces should copy Microsoft. I think they can be made better.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
blakerwry said:
So why should someone on a PC switch? Ease of use(interface) and available programs... and compatibility... i guess
If people had to actually make an OS choice when purchasing a new system, XP @ $199 (or whatever) vs. Linux @ $0, Linux would gain more devotees. But since Windows is already installed on most all new systems, this choice doesn't enter the equation. It's a shame, too, since the cost of the OS is becoming a larger & larger percentage of the cost of a whole system (based on MS costs going up, not down while hardware costs continue to fall).

Which begs some questions for the resellers out there: How much does an OEM license for XP Home (or other MS OS) cost? What percent is it of an 'average' system's overall price? Finally, if known, what percent of the overall cost was it in 1997?

- Fushigi

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Mercutio said:
I think it's stupid to steal Microsoft's UIs. Microsoft's interfaces tend to be flawed (the classic example being "Click on Start to Shut Down") and certainly non-intuitive to an inexperienced user. I believe an ideal interface is adaptive. An experienced user should have more options or faster ways to accomplish a task than a newbie. Microsoft loses there, too. Heck, in XP, with personalized menus turned on, if you use a PC for awhile, options get taken away (fine. Hidden) from a user.

I don't think interfaces should copy Microsoft. I think they can be made better.

I agree that there can be better UIs than Windows... however, if you're used to windows, making a switch to something alien can be quite difficult... hence, why some people still use old archaic programs instead of the newest, despite fetures.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tannin didn't spell it properly, but somnolence means "slumber".

We can remember this the next time someone complains about American English vs. the British or Aussie kind.