Zalman VGA heatpipe cooler

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I just installed (whew, took me almost an hour, and 2 beers) a Zalman VGA heatpipe cooler, ZM80C-hp, on my PNY Geforce 4200. I'm hoping to silence the computer with this.

For those attempting to do this, take a look at www.zalmanusa.com -> products -> left navigation, VGA heatsinks -> nice flash guide on how to install the thing. Recommended.
There is a booklet in the package, but I'd watched the flash before that and was very pleased with it.

So far everything is working ok, too bad I don't have (PNY doesn't have) a program to monitor the temperature of the GPU so I could compare before and after temps.

I'm happy with it, but I'll test it with some games later this week, or next week, or when I have the time....

Anyone else using this?

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Uh-oh, when I checked the computer this morning, I was greeted with a black screen and only the mouse cursor visible. The cursor was moving though, so it wasn't a completely dead machine, but anyway....

So much for the Zalman with a PNY 4200.

I'll add a silent 80mm case fan tonight in the case, hope that helps.

The cooler was HOT btw.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
A few weeks ago, I bought a large Swiftech MCX478-V P4 and finally, somewhat recently, installed it in my system along with a LARGE low-speed 92mm case fan on top. That heatsink weighs about as much as the whole mobo.

This large slow fan + MCX478-V P4 setup is QUIET. Too bad the power supply in my computer makes sound (not too much, fortunately). The upcoming Antec -- totally silent -- power supplies should solve that problem, though.

mcx478-v-400X340.jpg

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Using a Thermalright SLK-800 with a Y.S. Tech (or Sunon, can't remember which) silent 80mm is also a very good combo! Recommended.

I also use a Falconrock 3 (?) (with the copper insert in the middle of the heatsink) with the same fan and that seems to work pretty well also, temperature wise. Not as good as the Thermalright, but....

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
The JoJo said:
...silent 80mm is also a very good combo!...

One caveat that I should mention with my "92mm fan experice" is that a 92mm fan may or MAY NOT fit in everyone's case! So, 80mm may be the only way to go for some folk.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
GIANT said:
The JoJo said:
...silent 80mm is also a very good combo!...

One caveat that I should mention with my "92mm fan experice" is that a 92mm fan may or MAY NOT fit in everyone's case! So, 80mm may be the only way to go for some folk.

Yup, just installed some stuff in a case like this, the PS is usually too close to the MB.