ZFS?

Sol

Storage is cool
Recently I've been setting up a linux box to act as a file server/router with the aim of getting the bulk of my storage out of my soon to be watercooled duel core opteron and into something a litte cheeper/safer to run 24x7 as well as increasing my options with security and internet control.

Currently I'm using a 4 drive sata fakeraid array with a promise controller in windows and I've been looking at better/safer solutions. I can get away with my current setup because the data on it is handy but not in any way critical and the expense of redundancy,backups or whatever would be more than it's worth but a better setup requiring no more hardware would be nice too.

I've looked aat just creating a linux software raid array and that looks like a good option but another solution looks like it could be even better.

OpenSolaris supports the use of the ZFS filesystem. From what I gather ZFS would allow me to declare a pool of block devices which contribute to a file system. Essentially this would be much the same as a raid 0 array but without the striping. Additionally I should be able to simply add block devices to the pool at a later time and the filesystem could just use them with no extra setup.

The advantages of this setup seem pretty high, admitedly I'd lose the performance advantage of raid0 but since I'm mostly streaming data onto the file system thrugh a 1.5Mbit ADSL connection or off to watch in realtime or burn to a DVD I doubt it will be a great issue. I would get some reliability from it since if one drive failed I'd just lose what was on that drive (and any files hanging over the edges I guess) and I can add any sized drives later without any problems.

So to finallly get arround to a question has anyone used OpenSolaris or ZFS? Are my conclusions totally crazy? And will other factors, like hardware compatability, be so much of a pain in the arse as to make the whole thing not worthwhile anyway.

Also does anyone know of some similar system I could use in Linux instead?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I know Gilbo was quite interested in ZFS and had been doing some research on it (....I have no clue if he's actually tried it out).

As for trying it out, perhaps the OpenSolaris live CD ? ( BeleniX )

Sol

Storage is cool
In any case GFS would seem to require a cluster of computers... All I want is a cluster of hard drives...

The live CD would be a good idea but I think I'll have to buy a new sata controller and possibly borrow or buy a few more hard drives before I could set anything up anyway so probably installation isn't the largest barrier to a simple suck it and see approach.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I kind of fake a distributed file system by using specific shares for specific tasks, and exporting all the shares to a central point. I'd rather have a real SAN, real volume management and FS-aware metadata, but those things are not really available for consumers.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Handy, do they let you think they'd let you sneak out with maybe just a little Clariion? I only need one or two...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Sol said:
In any case GFS would seem to require a cluster of computers... All I want is a cluster of hard drives...
Pardon Mercutio. He has so many of both (computers and hard drives) that his notion of those sometimes gets blurry.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Handy, do they let you think they'd let you sneak out with maybe just a little Clariion? I only need one or two...

They all live in full-sized rack. :-? My trunk isn't big enough.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I am having difficulty ridding myself of the mental picture of Merc walking down the street with a sort of large vine thing over his shoulder, long trailing leads everywhere and clusters of several dozen 500GB hard drives dangling from then like bunches of grapes from a vine.

Of course, so as not to fall over, he would need to balance the weight with the traditional sack full of Micropolis full-height units on the other side.