Samsung Storage announcements

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Cnet News Story here

2.5" 500GB 5400 RPM 9.5 mm HDD

2.5" 250GB 7200 RPM HDD

128GB SSD "will be available to a few PC manufacturers mid-year".

Which 128GB SDD, based on what size process, what performance?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/01/07/samsung.128gb.ssd.and.more/

Typical of Samsung, always announcing, then later, much later releasing something...was supposed to be out late 2007, then above link said H1, now it's 'summer... other than you were led to expect. So how much is this 128GB drive going to cost, is the bigger question? 2x the 64B models that currently are ~$800 to OEM's?

The 500GB drive comes with an 8MB cache and $299 price, the 7.2k drive 16MB

Intel still hasn't addressed the SDD bottleneck bandwidth issues in any upcoming laptop chipset that I know of, both the ICH8 & 9. So tannin wouldn't see full bandwidth possible for a SSD on that Stinkpad he's thinking of getting. Won't see the ICH10 until (is it only a driver issue with Vista, or a hardware compatibility issue that affects all OS's running off of the Intel chipsets/southbridges?) this summer with the desktop Eaglelake platform, the 1st that is publicly stated to support SSD's.

New motherboards, et al on display @CeBit, courtesy or Anand:

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3250

Internet access is unfortunately not as ubiquitous as we'd like it to be, and I've resorted to roaming on my iPhone far too much in order to get email access.

cebitWLAN.jpg
CeBIT offers wireless Internet access at a "low" fee of 10 Euros for an hour ($15.18). Thankfully OCZ was kind enough to let us use their Internet connection at their booth for free.
Well, there you go, if Anand uses an iPhone, the iPhone must be *awesome*, despite what the old-fart SF crowd thinks :p

SSD Update - Intel ICH9R Problems Solved (...as long as UR running Vista :)
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=326

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It is interesting, but will a 3-platter 9.5 mm configuration be reliable? Should I soon upgrade the "old" 320GB drive?

LunarMist

March is almost over and there are no Samsung M6 500gb drives yet to be found.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Since the F1's Samsung seems like the paper launch company.

LunarMist

Heh, I hope it is not delayed for eons like the Atlas 10K III. :)

LunarMist

I will be traveling for a few weeks and 320GB drives may not be enough to store all the .CR2 and .NEF files, so three of the 500GB drives are needed now. However, only some unfamiliar sites carry the Samsung 500GB M6, i.e., not NewEgg.com. http://www.google.com/products?q=samsung+500gb+m6

Where would you order three drives from tonight if delivery is required within one week? Thanks, LM

Stereodude

Not really a
FWIW, I've had good luck with Directron in the past the few times I ordered from them. I haven't had any issues with supermediastore either, but I've only ordered less expensive items from them.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
ZipZoomFly will sit on an order for a week and then ship it overnight....

I've never rushed anything from Directron, but they've been fine for me.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Zipzoom has a habit of saying things are in stock when they are not. They also take eons to ship. I would go with Directron; they're good.

LunarMist

The 500GB drive appears to be fine, but would be rather noisy for a notebook. I have little confidence in the Samsung HD reliability, however.