Why is the site always slow?

Stereodude

Not really a
Am I the only one who finds SF slow? It seems like no matter from where or when I get on the site it's very frequently quite sluggish to respond. Today seems even worse than normal.

As an example of what I'm talking about it can take anywhere from 5 to 10's of seconds after I click a link before anything happens.

Edit: Now after posting this the site is nice and quick :confused:

ddrueding

Fixture
Typically it is a bit slower than others, but reasonable (1-2 seconds). Just now it was timing out on me.

Edit: Right now it is quick.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Sometimes the site is very bad (typically at night): I think that's when they do backups. You can tell when it is at its worst when there are lots of double posts. Most of the time it is sluggish, but acceptable. Right now it is quick. The pattern has been that way for years.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It is practically hopeless today. :( This is the first day I've had functioning internet for a while, yet it has been lousy for a few weeks. I think Doug is working on another IP.

LunarMist

Sure, it is fine at the moment. The slowdowns are intermittent and always seem to occur when I am trying to reply to a thread. Very annoying.

Handruin

Administrator
I need to figure out how to get the new site up and going. I think it's going to mean some downtime for a day or two when I do the switch.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I need to figure out how to get the new site up and going. I think it's going to mean some downtime for a day or two when I do the switch.

Can we access the new site through an IP address or something during that time?

Handruin

Administrator
I'll see if it's possible. I tried a few things last night and when I try connecting via IP, it gets redirected to the domain name which obviously doesn't help if propagation hasn't yet occurred.

All the accounts I have are already copied to the new server with the bulk of their data. The issue with the downtime is getting the changes moved over and then changing my name servers to point to the new hosting provider.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'll see if it's possible. I tried a few things last night and when I try connecting via IP, it gets redirected to the domain name which obviously doesn't help if propagation hasn't yet occurred.

All the accounts I have are already copied to the new server with the bulk of their data. The issue with the downtime is getting the changes moved over and then changing my name servers to point to the new hosting provider.

I think downtime will be necessary to move all the data, but once that is done, the major delay will be waiting for the DNS records to update. If you schedule the downtime for the data move and then tell us when we can connect via IP it will probably work, as long as it doesn't try to forward us back to the domain.

We could also update our HOSTS file to point storageforum.net at the new IP, then forwarding wouldn't break anything.

ddrueding

Fixture
I know that a DNS change can take 48 hours to replicate globally, but I typically see the results within hours. You could make it even faster by changing the TTL of the DNS entries.

Handruin

Administrator
Just to keep you guys up to date, I'm planning for the end of this month to make our transition to the new server.

LunarMist

This site is slow for me now, but other sites are not. Am I the only one?

Handruin

Administrator
I think the drive ran out of space. I'll clean it up tonight. If it still seems slow, I'll reboot the system.

LunarMist

The slowdowns are intermittent and not nearly as severe as those last year. However, I thought it best to comment now before the situation deteriorates. The new host has been great overall.

Handruin

Administrator
After 735 days of uptime, I decided to restart the entire server. The site seems to be running ok from what I can tell. Let me know if you notice problems again.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
wow! For over a year and a half (maybe more), the site has been dog ass slow for me* (just getting to the site would take ~10s). Now its back to how it used to be, and as fast as all other sites. Note to Doug: reboot server more frequently.

* I really don't understand the expression "dog ass slow", given most dogs I've ever encountered are several times faster then myself

Handruin

Administrator
Wow, I'm really surprised that the reboot fixed that issue for you. Let me know if it happens again and I'll reboot.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Rather than restarting the whole server you might try restarting Apache using a cronjob. Apache is designed to be restarted quickly and frequently.

Handruin

Administrator
Rather than restarting the whole server you might try restarting Apache using a cronjob. Apache is designed to be restarted quickly and frequently.

I have restarted apache several times since we've been on this server. That has fixed a few issues we've seen during that time. I checked to see what the value was for MaxRequestsPerChild and I couldn't find it defined within the httpd.conf, so I'm assuming that means apache uses the default value of 1000.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
ugh ... seems to have slowed down a far bit again -- took about 10s again just to get on the site...first couple of page loads were also slow ... though, the last couple of page loads have been fine :dunno:

Handruin

Administrator
Think it has anything to do with DNS resolution? Can you try accessing via IP and see if this does anything different:

http://67.222.3.121/~handruin

I can try rebooting again to see if it fixes the issue. I'm not seeing any slowdown from my location like you've describe.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Think it has anything to do with DNS resolution?
Well, that's what I was thinking for the past year or so, but once you rebooted the server, it became a speed demon again. I just don't know how highly coincidental the two events could be.

I'm not seeing any slowdown from my location like you've describe.
yep, no one seemed to report the same problem I had been observing over that year and a half, so I was thinking that it was simply DNS related ... but, now wondering if there is more to it then that.

Can you try accessing via IP and see if this does anything different:

http://67.222.3.121/~handruin
yes, I will test it out over a couple of days.

I can try rebooting again to see if it fixes the issue.
Meh..if we can't figure it out easily enough, I wouldn't want you to spend any much time on it ... I'll just suffer with the lag/wait .... woe is me :pale: ... but I'm sure I'll get over it :grin:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie