Why is the site always slow?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
timwhit's supplied address has worked fine, every time ... the regular way/address -- not so fine

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Isn't there a way to flush the DNS cache on your computer?

( don't know if thats right )

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Code:
rcnscd restart
is ineffective in regards to the "problem"

hmm, I'm wondering if my dd-wrt based router is doing something wakey with the address .... I do have an issue with Google (and a couple of other sites) periodically that I know is related to the firmware ... [just don't know exactly what ... nor that knowledgeable in regards to networking stuff ... or inspired to dig deeper] .. so that's about my only other thought as what might be the problem

I'll live with the status quo...besides, I can use timwhit's provided link from now on, which always provides a "bang on" connection.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
sorry for the delay (was on holidays)

yes, have tried changing DNS in the past (was ineffective at the time). Will look into it again soon.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Access to the forum is currently very slow. I don't know if someone else experiences the slowdown too, but it is annoying.

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't noticed anything huge, but I'll take a look tonight and give it a reboot to see if things improve.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't really know. We are in a VPS environment and maybe something went bad with the setup or software. I don't really know how much someone else's virtual environment can affect ours if at all. The network could have been having issues also. I get notifications but don't recall seeing anything in the past few days.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm getting it once and a while now too. Seemed to be the main forums like pub and computers but then one thread took like 30 seconds to come up too. Course now it is fast as ever.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The site is slow and stalled when I tried to post a reply. Then the post appeared in triplicate. Something is amiss. :(

Handruin

Administrator
I actually rebooted the entire setup 3 days ago, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I'll have to start looking more at their network status and see if their having issues with the server.

Handruin

Administrator
I've noticed an occasional lengthy time to load a page or two, but nothing that's bothered me or consistent. I also may not be visiting as frequently as others are. I've been very busy with home reconstruction (much like you ddrueding).

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
The site is pretty slow right now.
I noticed LM post was about the same time last night. Is there something running on the server every night at 9EST that's causing it?

Handruin

Administrator
It seems ok now. I wasn't on here earlier so I didn't see it happen.

LunarMist

Yes it was. I don't know what the deal is with the host.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The site is pretty slow right now.
I noticed LM post was about the same time last night. Is there something running on the server every night at 9EST that's causing it?

Potentially the opening of a backup window that increases load on network or system.

Handruin

Administrator
I did contact support tonight to look into some of the problems. I logged in and one of the management panels was missing all the controls. They had to reboot them and now that's working again.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I think a good objective measure of frequency of slow periods and their seriousness is the number of duplicate posts that happen. A good running setup will post quickly enough that people do not feel the need to press the submit button again. That really only shows a fraction of the problem though because most threads have far more passive readers than posters. So you know that there are serious problems, and need to do something about them, when duplicate posts start showing up with consistency

It would be interesting to see if one could plot duplicate threads over time to see if you can find any long-term patterns.

Handruin

Administrator
Verizon is calling tomorrow to discuss the cost of their business service. I may have more information after that.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm noticing the site being very slow right now. I don't know yet what's causing it.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
It was very slow this morning at about 8:20 EST.
It's more tolerable now at 8:39 EST.

Handruin

Administrator
I've tried rebooting the system. I've also opened a ticket for performance problems to see if they can check into the hardware of the machine we're on. Since we're on a vps, there are others on this system. We're supposed to have a guaranteed slice of the resources, but maybe something happened.

LunarMist

SF has been fine lately. I'm never certain of the problem. I know that some sites are plenty fast when SR is slow.

What was that deal with the internet being composed of a series of tubes? Perhaps something is clogged. :rofl: