Suggestions for changes/enhancements to storageforum

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's not my wish for you to avoid them. I would only hope that you would use them correctly. Learning and writing English is an on-going thing for myself. I'm assuming and hoping it's the same for others. We have been teasing you a lot lately and maybe that is a bit disrespectful, but seeing your reasoning behind it can be a little frustrating.

Why is that frustrating? Slang is often the basis for language change. I view it as a pretty high evolution of language use when you take terms understand their meanings, and use them with a subtle twist on the subject matter.

There are other 'sciences' that take common English terms and give them their own meaning. Really fun relearning the English language according to Psychology or Sociology. Law and medicine are guilty of the same redefining terms.
For that matter, Computer Science has done the same thing.

My girlfriend is currently taking a Political Science class at a local Junior College and her test seems to hinge on the author's redefinition of identity.
THAT'S frustrating.

Kids do this all the time.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
For me it is an ongoing battle to understand the different slang used in this area. It is generational, racial, class defined, and area specific. It goes so far as each sport has it's own 'in' type language, and slang. My work takes me from
the very rich sports, volleyball-lacrosse to the generally inner city game basketball. I do games with children to over fifty-five 'adults'. This reminds me of the temporal nature of language.

Handruin

Administrator
Why is that frustrating? Slang is often the basis for language change. I view it as a pretty high evolution of language use when you take terms understand their meanings, and use them with a subtle twist on the subject matter.

There are other 'sciences' that take common English terms and give them their own meaning. Really fun relearning the English language according to Psychology or Sociology. Law and medicine are guilty of the same redefining terms.
For that matter, Computer Science has done the same thing.

My girlfriend is currently taking a Political Science class at a local Junior College and her test seems to hinge on the author's redefinition of identity.
THAT'S frustrating.

Kids do this all the time.

I have no problem with slang. That was not even on my mind. In the few recent examples of teasing you about your usage of 'than' vs 'then', the reasons you came up with for using the wrong word really didn't make any sense to me. That wasn't slag by any stretch of the word.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It was a takeoff of the slang, "SO yesterday!"
Fairly common with the high school kids, in discussing history meaning anything past last week.

It is also used as a derogatory term for older people ideas concepts and more.

I was enjoying poking a bit of fun at Lunarmist calling my computer anemic and dated. I found the juxtaposition of one of Sam's posts, stating that even the lowly 920 i7 was so fast that little if anything he
did taxed the processor and Lunar's that my machine is out of date and slow, much like the cultural, and temporal gap created by the slang I'm discussing above.

It very much reminds me of the hubris of youth that what they are doing or have is simply the best anything else being outdated, "So yesterday" and worthless. If Lunar is making such remarks about
a i7 940 that gave me some insight into what he would think of dual Xeon 2.8's from 1999. In the timeless opposition of youth against maturity the battle is clear here and represented again.

I found this entire sequence incredibly ironic. We have someone saying that anything short of the newest Intel processors that have nearly 3 times the processor power of my 940, are dated and anemic.
At the same time most software doesn't come anywhere near taxing the setup I have. Even the most demanding games are under 45% CPU useage. I'm finding we are at a point where I don't really have need of
anymore then half of the power of the 940, much less one of the new Intel chips.
I replaced my Dual Xeon machines function with a Jurassic Park laptop. It functions just fine for it's role in my computer setup.

I found this exchange amusing on a number of different levels and decided to add to that complexity a bit.

For a quick lesson in the problems I have with slang, go to the link I posted on the Margaret River Surf contest and try and decode the commentary. Keep in mind this is another
area I grew up in surf slang. Also area and time dependent.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
You seem to mix slang with spelling, grammar and clear writing. Of course this forum, like other specialty forums, is replete with technical jargon, but that is not the main issue.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Sorry, but I've never experienced that a quality critical analysis harming my appreciation of a good book. If anything my experience is the opposite for I appreciated it even more as ideas that I didn't even consider were brought forward.

Unfortunately, applying that same type of analysis to a poorly written book can kill even the escapism value.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry, but I've never experienced that a quality critical analysis harming my appreciation of a good book. If anything my experience is the opposite for I appreciated it even more as ideas that I didn't even consider were brought forward.
Maybe it wasn't critical enough.

Unless Lord of the Flies and Island of the Blue Dolphins were poorly written books....

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I still can't make the connection between the topic of this thread and this post:

"You know how to ruin a good book? Analyse it in a class."

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have managed to misplace my mark all read button under the mobile theme. Please oh please help me find it!

Handruin

Administrator
How much of a deal is upping the PM quota? Would that be an additional expense?

It's not a big deal. I take a look at it and up them a bit. I don't believe there is any kind of automatic purging happening.