Storage Review?

sedrosken

Florida Man
I was reading some old threads, and I saw Santilli mention that he "love most of the people in storage review." This was in the thread "Is this forum going to last?" from 1-30-2002. What exactly is (or was) this Storage Review?

Is it still around? Can anyone scrounge together some Wayback links, if it's dead, or perhaps give me a URL to go looking for myself?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I was reading some old threads, and I saw Santilli mention that he "love most of the people in storage review." This was in the thread "Is this forum going to last?" from 1-30-2002. What exactly is (or was) this Storage Review?

Is it still around? Can anyone scrounge together some Wayback links, if it's dead, or perhaps give me a URL to go looking for myself?

Most of us are refuges from SR. Davin hosed the database and lost all the forum posts (MBF), although Eugene was already about to pack it in at that time as advertising revenue had dropped substantially. A few years ago the SR site was purchased by a group who mainly use for regurgitating press releases from enterprise storage firms. They still do a few useful tests now and again.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Yep, most of us are from Storage Review. If you check I think you will find that most of our join dates here coincide with the oldest post at SR. Any post on SR before 2002 was hosed.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'm sure most of the regulars are ex-SR, with myself being one of the most recent to migrate. I migrated at a time when reviews on SR where very few, and the forums literially become "What drive do buy?" and "What is the most reliable drive?" threads... Shortly after SR was purchased by the new guys... (around 2007)

LunarMist

I'm sure most of the regulars are ex-SR, with myself being one of the most recent to migrate. I migrated at a time when reviews on SR where very few, and the forums literially become "What drive do buy?" and "What is the most reliable drive?" threads... Shortly after SR was purchased by the new guys... (around 2007)

IIRC it was late 2009.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, it almost would have been simpler for everyone if it just dropped off the internet entirely. But, no. I discovered this group on SR when I was just a little older than you, sedrosken. More than half my life ago.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
And now, you're rich, married, have a kid and a good job. If you ever write a book about the secret of your success, we better have a special spot into it.

ddrueding

Fixture
And now, you're rich, married, have a kid and a good job. If you ever write a book about the secret of your success, we better have a special spot into it.

This place (composed of these people) have been remarkably influential in my life. Good stuff ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As a rough timeline, many members from SF were active on Storage Review's forums in 1998 or 1999. We've been talking about computer stuff for probably at least as long as sed has been alive.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's good to see the Bartender again. This place has been dry for many long months. It's like he retired or something.

Handruin

Administrator
Out of curiosity sedrosken, how did you find SF? Was it from various Google searching or did you know someone here?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Since he shares the same family name as Mark and he kind of looks like a much younger version of our beardly member from Oregon, maybe he's his nephew or something?

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
It's good to see the Bartender again. This place has been dry for many long months. It's like he retired or something.

It's the old man, Merc and Stereodude. Between running up his tab, watching Premier League and Bundesliga soccer, and playing something rude called Rust, he's asleep. There is also always something to clean up after he visits. The last time Buck and Tony were in here together, they trashed the place; it took months to recover. I think it all started when Buck just used the name Tony. Tea arrived with reparations, and helped clean up. She's great at dragging drunks outta here.

Chocolate Milk on the house!

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
I just came across it by Googleing something, can't remember what.

AFAIK I'm not related to anyone here.

neksordes, glad you found the place...stick around, this is a good group. As a warning, a few members to avoid: Buck, Tony, and Cougtek. Buck is violently stupid, Tony is violently arrogant, and Cougtek is just violent. Good luck.

Handruin

Administrator
neksordes, glad you found the place...stick around, this is a good group. As a warning, a few members to avoid: Buck, Tony, and Cougtek. Buck is violently stupid, Tony is violently arrogant, and Cougtek is just violent. Good luck.

I dunno. I haven't heard of or seen Cougtek destroy his PC in a while. Maybe his intense testosterone levels have subsided. That's not to say I still wouldn't heed some caution.

sedrosken

Florida Man

Good to know. :-D

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
sedrosken,

I suppose that some informational clarity to the members I have mentioned would be helpful. This forum operates under the guise that members use an alias. Beyond that, there are a few here we can consider imposters. The phrase "sock puppets" has been used before in regards to these criminally illusive users. Therefore, here is a list and commentary regarding the members I mentioned:

MEMBER: Tannin
True ID: Tony Wilson
Mr. Wilson's cantankerous and wildly arrogant personality has caused this elderly man to hide behind the cheeky alias Tannin. Although, tannins are astringent, the word blithely hides the real man behind the peacefulness of a fruit.

MEMBER: Tea
True ID: Tetley Cuthberta Tea
This dear girl is the genuine article. If you need a confidant, she's your girl. Her honesty in all matters, including Tannin, has been a welcome addition to the other superlative members on this forum. As her middle names implies, she certainly adds a brilliance to this forum that no other member can match.

MEMBER: Buck
True ID: Buckley Winchester Russel
Although Mr. Russel uses his first name on this forum, it is merely a decoy for the aloof, mostly unsympathetic drunk that this fat git really embodies. He realizes that a name like Buck seems harmless, and thus hides his true identity behind it. Violently stupid is an understatement.

MEMBER: Bartender
True ID: The Bartender
Yes, this is what I do and I'll gladly serve you any beverage you request (proper ID notwithstanding).

MEMBER: Cougtek
True ID: Charles Michel
In an attempt to escape the realities of politics, Monsieur Michel hides his Belgian roots behind his Québécois alter-ego, Cougtek. His violent temper was craftfully trained under the Belgian youth movement, Jeunes Réformateurs Libéraux de Jodoigne. Hence, his public personality of smiles and kindness, compress his deep-seated anger into violent reactions that come alive on this forum through the parables of his life as a demanding computer technician.

MEMBER: Handruin
True ID: Handy
He is a true master with a Stiletto (and I don't mean heels). The jobs for which he has been contracted makes me wonder if he does not host this site from behind bars. A computer geek? A programmer? Nonsense. A front for the true talent that impairs a decent man. How else could the cost for this site be covered?

So, a short list it is, but it helps you see the imposters you should avoid. With the two honest ones listed, you must add the many outstanding members on this site with which you should feel safe to interact.
Although I do question, sedrosken, why you hide your real identity, Ross Ndeek.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Probably because my name isn't Ross Ndeek, it's Jacob Turner. No, I do not play baseball, and frankly sports in general do not capture my interest in the slightest.

Very useful and entertaining information, by the way. I'm finding it hard to believe that you came up with such detailed profiles on the fly. Thanks.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
You are lighter than I, but considering your archaic unit, that is merely a guess. At this point I am almost exactly 100kg.

Archaic unit I am. But the last stone has been gained in the last 6 months. Before that, I ran a half-marathon, then stopped running, and pow! But you are tall, so you should carry 100kg well.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
All this nostalgia makes me pine for the Grammar Police. In their absence, may I point out that you should use "I" for the subject and "me" for the object? So "I am lighter than you" is fine, but the reverse should be "You are lighter than me". :diablo:

HellDiver

Learning Storage Performance
kudos!

Nice to see SF alive and kicking (well, at least alive), and quite a few of the familiar names still around. To put things in perspective, it's been over fifteen (15!) years since I encountered some of you guys back in the old SR forum... Some staying power!

LunarMist

Nice to see SF alive and kicking (well, at least alive), and quite a few of the familiar names still around. To put things in perspective, it's been over fifteen (15!) years since I encountered some of you guys back in the old SR forum... Some staying power!

I forgot your name at SR; was it the same?
Unfortunately it looks like we lost one member permanently. :( http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php/10516