Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
She's not in pain, not that I can tell. She's never liked being picked up and carried, but now she just meekly accepts when I put her back in her spot on my bed. She's hiding rather than staying in accustomed places, which is what cats do when they get near their end. She's had a fatty tumor on her belly most of her life, but it's changed in shape and consistency, and I suspect she might have progressed to something fully cancerous.

I feed her entirely wet food now, because I think that she likes that, and I've set one of the pillows and the blanket I kept on top of my bed in her hiding place in my closet. She's not so ill that she doesn't recognize me. I guess that's what I'm waiting for. For now at least she's comfortable.

Handruin

Administrator
Sorry to hear about your cat. If I was in your situation I'd be truly heartbroken.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
It's awful when you can sense a pet is near the end. Cats and dogs live long enough to get very attached to them, but not long enough to make lifelong companions. For all the talk about extending human lives, I wish first we can find a way to extend our pets lives closer to ours.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's awful when you can sense a pet is near the end. Cats and dogs live long enough to get very attached to them, but not long enough to make lifelong companions. For all the talk about extending human lives, I wish first we can find a way to extend our pets lives closer to ours.

I'm not a cat person, but have outlived far too many wonderful dogs.
The best you can do for pets is keep them healthy, including diet and exercise.
I just hate seeing overweight, out-of-shape pets. :mad: It's not that owners cannot control the feeding.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I know there is something terribly wrong with my 15 year old Grace cat. I don't want to take her to the vet because I'm sure I won't be bringing her home.

Small world.

Mom recently took her cat to the vet and returned alone :(((

The poor lil guy was miserable. Hid in closet. Labored breathing. Sickly drool. Over $500 in vet bills/medicine no help. I suggested she end his suffering. Then I started to feel a bit guilty because maybe he just had a "bad cat flu" and would have recovered? He was down to 9 lbs from 12 lbs. Would not eat/drink wet/dry food, tuna, etc.

He did some strange things like wanted to go into the shower just after somebody was in it. Jumped up into a bathtub and laid there. Never got in the tub before.

Sad situation. I hope your cat gets better soon.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've hurt my back. Not when lifting 300lbs at the gym, but when I changed side on my bed, last night when trying to find sleep. What a glorious way to injure myself. I'm quite stuck. I've tried to unlock my back by going at the gym this evening, but it didn't fix anything. Now I walk like the evil ape in the Planet of the Apes movie from 2001.

Last edited:

LunarMist

I've hurt my back. Not when lifting 300lbs at the gym, but when I changed side on my bed, last night when trying to find sleep. What a glorious way to injure myself. I'm quite stuck. I've tried to unlock my back by going at the gym this evening, but it didn't fix anything. Now I walk like the evil ape in the Planet of the Apes movie from 2001.

I hope it is only temporary. At some point you need to reduce the abuse.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
This site is very light on resources and could even be classified as dial-up friendly. I'm pretty sure that's because this is using an older version of vBulletin.

All I can say is that this is one of a very small group of sites that don't make me want to kill myself while waiting for them to load when we've gone over our data limit for the month.

Mercutio

Not that this will make you feel any better, but my father's active service in the US Navy ended because he threw his back out during to a particularly vigorous attempt to to void himself after a very long period of constipation. This is not something he will ever live down. At any rate, back problems are really very serious and I hope you've found some form of relief.

As far as my cat goes, she's as alive as the last time I saw her. Still hiding in my closet. I can't tell if she's any more ill in the five days I was gone or if she's simply in the snit that cats have when their owners go and leave for a while. I think I'm going to pretend that it's the latter.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My back problem is purely muscular. It won't last. I already feel better, but I can still feel pain. I'll visit the gym later today (I never train in the morning) and see if I can make it go away.

I'm not sure I completly understood your sentence about your father's back problem, but the end result is obviously more severe than what I currently experience.

You could try playing peek-a-boo with you cat in your closet's door. Only if it no longer has claws though.

And yes, to answer Sedrosken, as you probably remember, Handruin tried to upgrade to a more recent version of vBulletin, but it was far from an upgrade in term of user friendliness. There would probably be a way to customize the newer version to fit our preferences, but it would take a lot of time from Handruin and none of us wants to ask him more than what he currently does to maintain the forum. I guess we'll remain dialup-friendly for a while. Feel free to bust your data cap every month; you'll still be able to visit.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

Have you tried Advil?

ddrueding

Fixture
Did some of the local holiday parades with a giant piece of construction equipment on a trailer, the whole thing covered with 10,000+ lights that blink to music. Last time we did it was 3 years ago, but last time I didn't manage to injure myself this badly. Jumped backwards off the equipment (6'?) while it was moving slowly (not a big deal), onto a steel "no parking" a-frame sign that just happened to be passing by at the wrong time. Clean through the jeans, the boxers, and quite a bit of me. Not bothering with stitches, but a tetanus shot is on the agenda for tomorrow morning.

On the bright side:
View attachment 836

LunarMist

Did some of the local holiday parades with a giant piece of construction equipment on a trailer, the whole thing covered with 10,000+ lights that blink to music. Last time we did it was 3 years ago, but last time I didn't manage to injure myself this badly. Jumped backwards off the equipment (6'?) while it was moving slowly (not a big deal), onto a steel "no parking" a-frame sign that just happened to be passing by at the wrong time. Clean through the jeans, the boxers, and quite a bit of me. Not bothering with stitches, but a tetanus shot is on the agenda for tomorrow morning.

On the bright side:
View attachment 836

You should seek proper medical attention, including stitches if necessary. Surely the organizer had the event insured, right?

ddrueding

Fixture
You should seek proper medical attention, including stitches if necessary. Surely the organizer had the event insured, right?

My wife is a doc, and her professional medical opinion was that I should have some stitches, but she wasn't adamant about it so I think I'll be fine ;)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My back is ok now. Like I wrote, it only hurt for a few days. I'm back to weight lifting tomorrow.

On a completly different theme, Hagupit is heading right o Paugie's location. If he wasn't too much touched by Haidan last year, it doesn't look good for this one. The typhoon should still be at scale 4 out of 5 when it'll pass a bit North of Manilla, pretty much where Paugie lives. It should be there next Tuesday. I hope Paugie will be able to get out of the way and move somewhere else for the duration of the storm.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
WTF is wrong with Newegg's site?

Anybody having problems with Newegg's web site?

I select computer hardware, then say SSDs, then I select Samsung but I get redirected to:

http://promotions.newegg.com/welcome/index.html

Doesn't matter the category or the search, every time I try to narrow my search I get the redirect.

Annoying as F&CK!

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I am slowly but surely getting fed up with only having 4GB RAM. I would like to be able to use my computer for menial tasks even when I have 20+ tabs open in Firefox, thank you very much. I have it set to save my tabs at shutdown but it's a PITA to get them all loaded again in reasonably short order. I have an extension that lets me scroll directly through my tabs (much like I could on Linux without an extension, but whatever) so all I have to do is go crazy on the wheel, but then I have to wait 5+ minutes for my computer to not be running at slideshow levels. For being a Celeron it handles multitasking very well, but it's getting pretty clear that my RAM situation is not at all optimal.

But hey, at least I had the foresight to get a laptop with two SODIMM sockets and 4GB of factory installed RAM, eh? Most of the others I saw going for the same or similar prices only had 2. Would've been a pain to have had to upgrade it (and void my warranty by not taking it to Toshiba) right off the bat. As it stands now, I can't do much about it except whine about it here (or just download some more </sarcasm>) and hope I get some money for Christmas. It should get me through the rest of the school year as it is now, but I don't think I'll be able to function happily on this for much longer than that.

I really should have expected this, but I'm still not unhappy with the purchase, because it was such a deal. If I had gotten a Chromebook for the same price (which I'll admit I looked at seriously there for about five minutes before saying "screw that" and looking for decent laptops in the realm of sanity in terms of pricing) I'd have been coping with only 2 GB RAM and quite possibly not being able to upgrade it at all. Which sucks.

Another thing I really need to look into is an SSD. Let's face it, I'll probably buy one of these before I buy more RAM, if finances allow. My page file will be on there, speeding things up a bit already, and then you factor in that most of my experience is waiting for stuff to load (seriously, The Sims 3 takes an eternity and a half to load up to the title menu and all I can hear while it's loading are the sounds of my HDD grinding dutifully away to fulfill my requests and that incessant noise they call music. The sad thing is, TS3 actually runs very well once it loads. I only play it because I enjoy torturing things and the Sims is one of the few things that will let me do that without serious in-game consequences). I'd have to get a decently sized one, though, because I've now filled almost half of my 500GB hard drive. What did that? Why, installing a few games. Umm. A few? Wait a second, I actually installed something like eighty of the things. All of my old C&C games, all of my Diablo games (which are even more broken in Windows 10 than in 8, oh what a fun-filled day it was when I was trying to get those running) and all of my other crap too. I have the space, might as well fill it. Christmas break is coming up anyway, gives me something to do.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Assuming you're using Chrome, have you tried a third browser?

Had something like this recently but eventually figured out how to nuke the browser memory - sorry, I can't remember either ... Must have been MIB.

Mercutio

The thing that seems to do more to hose my browser RAM utilization is tumblr. Certain tumblr layouts absolutely annihilate all available RAM. Some of my friends use tumblr for one reason or other and I believe it's entirely the reason I've had to switch to Palemoon or Waterfox.

I did have some weirdness on Newegg earlier in the week where the search function didn't seem to be working right, but it's fine now. I assumed at the time it was load due to massive amounts of e-commerce things.

Maybe we could take up a round of donations to get our most junior member some decent hardware. My or (especially) dd's spare parts collection would probably be the stuff sed's dreams are made of.

I picked up a couple LGA1366 motherboards to go along with some scavenged 980Xs one of my students gave me, giving me four spare 1366 i7s in total. I had hoped to turn them in to a small cluster of Hyper-V servers that I could set up for student use and internal testing, but I've found that most X58 (Gigabyte, EVGA and Dell OEM, at least; one Asus Workstation board is fine as far as RAM goes) motherboards, regardless of BIOS updates or other refinements, only support either 4GB DIMMs or a total of 24GB RAM, which wouldn't be bad except for the fact that most of Microsoft's newest big-dollar server products need 8GB to run and 16GB to be happy. So now I have a lot of machines that are probably destined to be Plex Servers.

LunarMist

I am slowly but surely getting fed up with only having 4GB RAM. I would like to be able to use my computer for menial tasks even when I have 20+ tabs open in Firefox, thank you very much. I have it set to save my tabs at shutdown but it's a PITA to get them all loaded again in reasonably short order. I have an extension that lets me scroll directly through my tabs (much like I could on Linux without an extension, but whatever) so all I have to do is go crazy on the wheel, but then I have to wait 5+ minutes for my computer to not be running at slideshow levels. For being a Celeron it handles multitasking very well, but it's getting pretty clear that my RAM situation is not at all optimal.

But hey, at least I had the foresight to get a laptop with two SODIMM sockets and 4GB of factory installed RAM, eh? Most of the others I saw going for the same or similar prices only had 2. Would've been a pain to have had to upgrade it (and void my warranty by not taking it to Toshiba) right off the bat. As it stands now, I can't do much about it except whine about it here (or just download some more </sarcasm>) and hope I get some money for Christmas. It should get me through the rest of the school year as it is now, but I don't think I'll be able to function happily on this for much longer than that.

I really should have expected this, but I'm still not unhappy with the purchase, because it was such a deal. If I had gotten a Chromebook for the same price (which I'll admit I looked at seriously there for about five minutes before saying "screw that" and looking for decent laptops in the realm of sanity in terms of pricing) I'd have been coping with only 2 GB RAM and quite possibly not being able to upgrade it at all. Which sucks.

Another thing I really need to look into is an SSD. Let's face it, I'll probably buy one of these before I buy more RAM, if finances allow. My page file will be on there, speeding things up a bit already, and then you factor in that most of my experience is waiting for stuff to load (seriously, The Sims 3 takes an eternity and a half to load up to the title menu and all I can hear while it's loading are the sounds of my HDD grinding dutifully away to fulfill my requests and that incessant noise they call music. The sad thing is, TS3 actually runs very well once it loads. I only play it because I enjoy torturing things and the Sims is one of the few things that will let me do that without serious in-game consequences). I'd have to get a decently sized one, though, because I've now filled almost half of my 500GB hard drive. What did that? Why, installing a few games. Umm. A few? Wait a second, I actually installed something like eighty of the things. All of my old C&C games, all of my Diablo games (which are even more broken in Windows 10 than in 8, oh what a fun-filled day it was when I was trying to get those running) and all of my other crap too. I have the space, might as well fill it. Christmas break is coming up anyway, gives me something to do.

I'm afraid to ask why you need 20 tabs open at one time. :)

LunarMist

I'm with the SDude on this. How can anyone keep track of 100 tabs? It's mind buggering.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I regularly have 30-50 tabs open. Sometimes I am researching 5 or 6 things at a time. It's not that hard to keep track of.