Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
$20/month for an unlimited monthly account is definitely high but probably not out of the realm of reason if you get a lot of content from Newsgroups.

I pay $40/year for my VPN account and use a dedicated PC with a full time connection to that VPN, including DNS requests. The provider retains no logs and has about two dozen end-points. There's a kill switch on the interface if the VPN client stops working or drops connection. I think that gives me more options for whatever strange things I might be doing online.

ddrueding

Fixture
Maybe once in a while, but 10$ per person per meal is too expensive for me. My 21 weekly meals cost me more around 140$ per week. That's including restaurants. And I eat big portions (due to my training).

We spend between $1k-$2k a month on food, mostly dependent on how many nice restaurants we go to in a week. This is more about saving time on the shopping and trying to learn a new skill.

Mercutio

Does it work with virtual machines. Or do you run it from the host system?

I run it on single dedicated machine. It would be completely fine on a VM. The provider allows I think four or five simultaneous connected clients and they have instructions for connecting with a number of different client types and protocols.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've hurt my lower back at the gym, doing chest fly, go figure. No matter what my real age is, I'm officially 85 until I heal. That what I look like everytime I lift my ass from a chair, anyway.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I've hurt my lower back at the gym, doing chest fly, go figure. No matter what my real age is, I'm officially 85 until I heal. That what I look like everytime I lift my ass from a chair, anyway.

Plenty of time to study for the CCNA then.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Tonight's Blue Apron Dinner. Time consuming but awesome.

View attachment 826

Looks pretty tasty.

I think I have a very similar mouse to that - - but the shaping of the left side of yours is a little more pronounced. Same button to lock/unlock the scroll wheel into smooth scrolling (I always keep it on ratchet scrolling: I don't have anything set to smooth scrolling and I like scrolling 1-3 lines at a time). I like everything about mine but that.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture

Have you been to a Dr.?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
This morning, I looked more like a century old than only 85. When I cam eback from lunch, a bit after noon, I almost had to thru myself out of the car in order to get out of it. When I came back from work, I sat on my cheap computer chair for almost two hours, but surprise, when I stood up, almost no pain. I've even been able to train for more than an hour, starting at 9 p.m.

I feel like I'm 25 again. Back then, I recovered very quickly after injuries (like most 25-year-old). I'll probably feel rusty tomorow morning, but this evening, I'm ok. Never thought I would visit the gym today when I woke up this morning.

The bad side is that I did not take time to study for the CCNA, but it's just the first semester so I already know most of the stuff.

And no, I did not see a doctor. I've hurt myself often enough to know that this is just a muscular injury and doctors can't do anything about that, except a Tylenol prescription. It takes more than that for me to seek medical assistance. Thanks for your concern.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
After 4 months of treatment for my "very severe" sleep apnea (my oxygen saturation was dropping to 68%; on average, I stopped breathing for significant periods 65 times an hour), I was finally turning the corner and getting some energy back. For the last two months, I've been restricted by a persistent cough (started as a clear cut sinus infection, but the cough won't fully quit).

Last Tuesday, I went for a steady 2.5km walk and jogged for about 90 seconds. Pulled up fine. Wednesday, I didn't feel well, but backed it up with a fast walk and a run for about 60 seconds. Couldn't get my breath back on the rest of the walk. Very disappointed. Unfortunately, I've been sick ever since. It's starting to look like I may have damaged something by pushing myself too hard when my body was telling me to take it easy. I now have depressions on my EKG and may face another stint in hospital (or worse), thanks to my genetic heart condition: Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

LunarMist

I agree... While personally I'm just unift with no major helath issues, my wife was recently diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer (was at stage 1 with it dormant for 2yrs), and has started chemo yesterday...

OMG, that's just terrible. I'm so sorry for you and your family.

LunarMist

This morning, I looked more like a century old than only 85. When I cam eback from lunch, a bit after noon, I almost had to thru myself out of the car in order to get out of it. When I came back from work, I sat on my cheap computer chair for almost two hours, but surprise, when I stood up, almost no pain. I've even been able to train for more than an hour, starting at 9 p.m.

I feel like I'm 25 again. Back then, I recovered very quickly after injuries (like most 25-year-old). I'll probably feel rusty tomorow morning, but this evening, I'm ok. Never thought I would visit the gym today when I woke up this morning.

The bad side is that I did not take time to study for the CCNA, but it's just the first semester so I already know most of the stuff.

And no, I did not see a doctor. I've hurt myself often enough to know that this is just a muscular injury and doctors can't do anything about that, except a Tylenol prescription. It takes more than that for me to seek medical assistance. Thanks for your concern.

At least you are good shape. Every injury I get lately involves a bone or tendon or ligament.

Mercutio

I agree... While personally I'm just unift with no major helath issues, my wife was recently diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer (was at stage 1 with it dormant for 2yrs), and has started chemo yesterday...

Shit. That's just shit. Do please say something if we can help somehow.

Handruin

Administrator

I don't intend to know or understand what you're both going through right now but m heart goes out to you. That really is terrible to hear. I wish you both the best and if there is anything we can help with please let us know.

Handruin

Administrator
After 4 months of treatment for my "very severe" sleep apnea (my oxygen saturation was dropping to 68%; on average, I stopped breathing for significant periods 65 times an hour), I was finally turning the corner and getting some energy back. For the last two months, I've been restricted by a persistent cough (started as a clear cut sinus infection, but the cough won't fully quit).

Last Tuesday, I went for a steady 2.5km walk and jogged for about 90 seconds. Pulled up fine. Wednesday, I didn't feel well, but backed it up with a fast walk and a run for about 60 seconds. Couldn't get my breath back on the rest of the walk. Very disappointed. Unfortunately, I've been sick ever since. It's starting to look like I may have damaged something by pushing myself too hard when my body was telling me to take it easy. I now have depressions on my EKG and may face another stint in hospital (or worse), thanks to my genetic heart condition: Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

I hope things get better for you also. Hang in there time, we want you around for a while.

LunarMist

This sounds really bad, too. :cry: Is there surgical treatment or is it too risky?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Thanks guys...

The full story with my wife was:

Approximately 2yrs ago she was diagnosed with bowel cancer (complication resulting from Crohn's disease) and at the same time benign lesions were noted in the lymph nodes around the breasts.

She underwent biological treatment for the bowel cancer, which thankfully cured her of the bowel cancer as it was caught early. (no chemo required during this treatment). The benign lesions during the treatment did not grow, and as a result the docs decided to leave them alone. (biospy or attempted removal of these types of lesions have been known to trigger a benign growth to turn malignant).

Since then, she's had monthly blood screens and ultrasounds on the lesions monitoring for any growth in them. Two weeks ago, the last test showed the lesions had grown/spread/new ones cropped up, and thus has commenced treatment.

The bad news, that even with chemo/biological treatment/hormone therapy, she won't ever be cured, as it's spread and progressed too far. (essentially non-operable, so removing the growths surgically and chemical based treatment won't do squat).

The good news, without treatment, the expectant life span was still measured in 4-5years based on the current measured growth rate, and with treatment, historical evidence that with continued chemo/biological treatment/hormone therapy, she has a current life expectancy of 10-15 years. (biological treatment and hormone therapy will continue for the whole time, but chemo will be done for 3 months in every 12 months). Because of her current life expectancy, she's only considered stage 4 (chronic disease) and not stage 5 (terminal, immiment death) according to the Australian medical books.

In many respects, I'm still trying to come to terms with it, the hardest bit being the time frames involved. In the past, when we've heard of someone with a terminal disease they have weeks/months to live, but in this case we're measuring in 5+ years. At the moment things at home haven't changed a great deal, but knowing a clock is ticking it's a little surreal, knowing it's going to happen but there is no real rush in preparing yourself for it. We haven't gone into too much detail with the kids (Isaac is 6 and Gabriel is 4), they just know mum is going for treatments at the hospital. At this stage we're just trying to keep things normal around the house, which for the most part they will be...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't have much to say about Chewy's wife, except that it is very unfortunate. I've know several people close to me dying of cancer. Just try to focus on making the remaining time being worth it for her, you and your kids. And even though it's very hard, accept it. Fighting reality won't help. Accepting it will lift a weight from your shoulders and will help you to focus on the good moments that are still to come (because there will be some).

As for Time, you're a nice guy and I only wish your well being. I've never been really sick (physically, at least) so I have no advice for you. Only being able to walk 2-3Km for a guy in his fifties is worrying. You, of course, know a lot more about your own condition than what I can find on a quick Google search. I read that competitive aerobic training and heavy weight lifting are prohibited for people with HCM, so regarding physical training, you practically are the opposite of what I am. Sucks to be you. I hope some researcher will find a fix for HCM before your healtth degrades too much.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Chewy, one thing worth remembering here is that medical science is always advancing. If your wife has a life expectancy of 10-15 years based on current medical technology, I've little doubt significant advances will occur during that time which may well prolong her life further. So yes, enjoy every minute of your time with her but also don't take the doctor's words as gospel. I've known people who got a clean bill of health die a few weeks later. I've also heard of people who had months or less to live who ended living the remainder of a normal life span. I'm hopeful there will be huge advances in cancer treatments within a decade. I'm also hopeful a cure or vaccine will be found within my lifetime. You and your wife may yet grow old together.

time-it's a fine line between exercising enough to keep fit and not pushing yourself too hard. This year for me it's been more of the former since starting a new consulting gig. I have yet to reach 1,000 miles this year when a "normal" year for me is ~3,000. Of course, going too far in the other direction doesn't help much, either. I did 4293 miles in 2012 and 3022 last year, so maybe my body needed a respite this year. Anyway, thankfully I've never pushed myself far enough to damage anything as you did but it's a possibility even for people with no congenital defects. One downside (for me personally, anyway) of this being an "off" year riding is the fact that I seem to get sick somewhat more often. Evidently besides the cardiovascular benefits riding immensely helps my immune system. I was barely sick in 2012 and 2013. This year so far I've probably been sick enough to slow me down at least 5 times, including right now. I'll try to get some serious miles in what remains of 2014. I'm sure my body will thank me.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
We haven't gone into too much detail with the kids (Isaac is 6 and Gabriel is 4), they just know mum is going for treatments at the hospital. At this stage we're just trying to keep things normal around the house, which for the most part they will be...

Oh my god.

You have young children.

I am literally crying right now.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I didn't finish. I was going to add this as an edit, but my five-minute limit is up, so...

They shouldn't have to deal with this, especially at their ages, so I definitely agree with your decision to keep the details (very) vague.

My advice is to do as the others have said - make the most of your time, but don't let it hang over you. It's always better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all, as they say. And that's assuming you lose at all - - like jtr says, don't take the doctor's words to heart. As he said, medical science is always advancing. Here's hoping her life expectancy (at least) doubles. The end will come, as it does for everyone. It may come earlier than expected, or later. My guess is that it will come later, given all the info I have.