PCI Slots

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Do any mainstream PCs still provide PCI Slots? The vendor claims that the facility should buy a new instrument, but I think it is BS. It's only 120K but the delay will put my dept in red on the Gantt. Thanks.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Some workstations from HP/Dell/Lenovo still have a single PCI slot, eg the Lenovo P500, Dell Precision 3000 (Full Tower), etc...

However, most consumer and business orientated desktops I've seen lack PCI slots... Best to contact your preferred supplier/vendor and ask them directly.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Mainstream full ATX boards, insofar as those are a thing that exist, still usually have one. Asus still puts one on most of the newest (LGA1151) boards it offers. Gigabyte seems to have dropped PCI entirely.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
(Z97 still supports regular PCI slots off the ICH).
Just correcting myself. The last Intel chipset to natively support PCI off the ICH was the Q77.

The Intel 80-series dropped native support for PCI slots on the ICH, of which motherboard manufactures adopted using PCIe-PCI bridges to provide PCI slots on the motherboard. The most common PCIe-PCI bridges in use seem to be from IDT and TI.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#5.2F6.2F7.2F8.2F9_Series_chipsets

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Just correcting myself. The last Intel chipset to natively support PCI off the ICH was the Q77.

The Intel 80-series dropped native support for PCI slots on the ICH, of which motherboard manufactures adopted using PCIe-PCI bridges to provide PCI slots on the motherboard. The most common PCIe-PCI bridges in use seem to be from IDT and TI.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#5.2F6.2F7.2F8.2F9_Series_chipsets

Oh well. I'm not really up on the hardware, but it makes sense. I wonder how long PCIe will remain compatible.

ddrueding

Fixture
If you are looking for new hardware from a major vendor, I can put you in touch with my sales rep from IT Creations. He can find a current supported spec that will fit your needs.