Cloud Backup

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Would love to hear more updates from you guys on this as I am definitely considering switching over to Amazon Drive unlimited from Crashplan. I would like a solution I can use from one PC. Would be nice if it also works with network shares (i.e. would like to backup a Shared drive on another PC in my network).

Handruin

Administrator
I was able to get the utility Syncovery to backup to my ACD. I wasn't able to figure out where (if anywhere) there is the option to encrypt the files. I didn't read close enough but this looks to be their level of encryption:

Compression and Encryption Support.
Easily zip your files and encrypt them with strong 256-bit AES encryption. To unzip and decrypt, simply use the Restore Wizard or make a copy of your profile and copy in the opposite direction.

I don't think that's going to work for me...so I may have to continue my investigation. I basically want to reuse the Crashplan client and connect it to ACD as my cloud source. I know the Crashplan client is far from perfect but it's the devil I know.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
At the moment, I'm just doing a basic file sync of media files that more or less never change. Backup is another issue and I'll address that after my ~4.5TB transfer completes. I sent just under 1TB in 1 week at 10Mbps to Amazon, which is in line with what I think I should be getting given my connection speed.

I remember waiting something like nine months for Crashplan to accept that much data.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Have you guys tried odrive? It supposedly works with ACD. https://www.odrive.com/

Edit: sounds like you might need the monthly fee version of the product for ACD sync to work. Still digging.....

Mercutio

None of this would really be necessary if Amazon just had a decent client application in the first place. I suppose that's the trade-off for theoretically unlimited storage.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Backblaze is only $50 per year (prepaid) for unlimited and is not Java based (so it's more efficient on resources - supposidly). Do any of you guys use it?

Only downside to it, it seems, is that it cannot do free computer to computer backups like Crashplan does.

Also note, Crashplan no longer offers the service where they will send you a HDD with all your data on it. It is online access or nothing, it seems. Backblaze will physically send you your data if you request it (for a fee).

Mercutio

My big problem with Backblaze is that they don't offer unlimited file versioning, something I'd get with most other backup tools I might want.

Stereodude

Not really a
I must be the only person here who has no interesting in sending my data to a 3rd party over the internet, pay a monthly fee for the priveledge, and exceed my data quota from my internet provider should I have to use it to restore my data.

Mercutio

I must be the only person here who has no interesting in sending my data to a 3rd party over the internet, pay a monthly fee for the priveledge, and exceed my data quota from my internet provider should I have to use it to restore my data.

Encrypt the stuff you don't want your provider to access. Do I care if somebody can see the pictures I took of my cat or know that I have a large collection of classical music? Not really. Are they going to do something with my mom's recipe collection? Doubt it. My medical info and receipts and stuff? Veracrypt.

And what kind of ISP do you have that you have to live with a data cap?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah I just got notice of the Comcast 1TB monthly cap too. I need to find out the policy on overages. I think if you go over once in a 12 month period, they may let it slide. At least that's how it was before in other capped areas.

Handruin

Administrator
I found it funny that Comcast has offered up this explanation of how much a 1TB data cap offers making it seem like the largest amount of data the world can offer you. Given that they disabled comments due to it being in their best interest, have a look at the down vote to up vote ratio of this video. It may very well be the largest percentage of down votes of any video.

Mercutio

I think I pay about a $30 premium for being on a business plan and I just moved to 100/20 service, something that costs a whole $130/month. Comcast won't even give residential customers in my area a 75Mbit plan, but wants $130 for 50/10 "with 220 channels", so I'm A-OK with what they're doing for me.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Naw. I'm paranoid about handing my data over to an outsider.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I was able to get the utility Syncovery to backup to my ACD. I wasn't able to figure out where (if anywhere) there is the option to encrypt the files. I didn't read close enough but this looks to be their level of encryption:

I don't think that's going to work for me...so I may have to continue my investigation. I basically want to reuse the Crashplan client and connect it to ACD as my cloud source. I know the Crashplan client is far from perfect but it's the devil I know.
I had mentioned Syncovery up thread, but hadn't had a chance to test it out.

It sounds like it's confusing, at best. I don't think that it's doing this encryption on the fly.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
A residential one. Comcast, AT&T, and their ilk all have data caps.
AT&T generally doesn't enforce. I know tons of people who abuse their Uverse connections.

If Charter has a cap, I've never run into it. I'm full tilt outbound most of the time.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Comcast had a cap for a long time but didn't enforce it depending on your region/state. However, they are enforcing it now.

If I started running into the cap I would switch to RCN, which has no cap.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
AT&T generally doesn't enforce. I know tons of people who abuse their Uverse connections.

If Charter has a cap, I've never run into it. I'm full tilt outbound most of the time.

Co-worker of mine switched to Uverse a few years ago and ran into their cap during the first month of service (downloaded several large games legitimately). He said Uverse made him agree to not use the service as much and capped his connection at 1Mbps for several months following. I assume they can only get away with this because they have a monopoly in some areas. My neighborhood association lobbied hard to get Google into our area. We now have options through TWC, ATT, and Google. Connection speeds are now many times faster and I pay only a small amount more than I did a couple years ago.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I started goofing around with the ACD Dokan drive and started getting errors trying to send files.

Is anyone else using it right now?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been trying to use robocopy to mirror media to ACD, but the the copy appears to hang at random and the cache blows up.

Mercutio

Maybe split your job in to a few smaller ones, just to see if you only lose connectivity on specific files or somesuch?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe split your job in to a few smaller ones, just to see if you only lose connectivity on specific files or somesuch?
Kind of makes it inconvenient to mirror each of a couple hundred folders, one at a time....

In other news, the latest line from CrashPlan is that it is not actually for back-up, just "data redundancy"; and, I'm not supposed to keep versions of files on CrashPlan. Sounds like they don't want to be public about not being able to keep their marketing promises....

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
For the record, latest version of ACD.dokan and dokany seems to fix the issues.

I'm still getting errors setting attributes on my side, but that's a robocopy/rights issue and doesn't seem to be affecting the actual copying.