Nichia Develops 60 Lumen Per Watt White LED

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I bought some Nightcore EC4GT lights. For a 170g light it has a crazy throw (56,000) and is compact enough for an easy carry.
The only drawback seems that the body gets rather warm an after about 30 minutes on high power.

Last edited by a moderator:

LunarMist

Thanks. I don't know why it does that. Most of them will be XMAS gifts.

I have a Fenix and some old Zebralights that use a single AA, but have not looked at what's new lately. I prefer RC123A rechargeables in lights of that size.
Most likely you want one with an XP-G2, rather than an XM-L2 that is very broad with the mini-reflectors typical in an AA light.
2016 seems to be the year of the XP-L, a smaller emitter that has replaced the XM-L2 in a lot of the 800-1000 lumen lights.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
If you wanted a flashlight that took 1x AA, which would it be?
Inquiring minds want to know (me). I'm invested in the AA format, and don't want to start investing in other formats.

I have a Zebralight that runs on 1xAA, and it's beyond awesome. I just checked their website, and it appears they've gone the 18650 way for all their new stuff. :cursin:

Stereodude

Not really a
FWIW, I only buy lights in neutral white and have for several years. I don't care how fancy or awesome the light is otherwise. No neutral tint offering, no buying.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Been looking at the Sylvania/Osram Lightify tunable white LED bulbs that can go from 2700K to 6500K, in the A19 (65 W)size, however they are $30 each.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Suggestions on a drop-in replacement with a candelabra base? Prefer 60W equivalent in daylight.

I'm not planning to be in the place for more than two years, so don't want to spend too much. Looked at CFLs, but at this size, there's not a lot of price difference.

Found these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M06IFIX/

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I have the 40W equivalent of these and I'm very happy with them. That said, if you don't need dimming the ones you linked to are worth a try. They seem to have gotten good reviews.

Yeah, there's less and less price difference between LEDs and CFLs these days, even in A19 sizes. When you consider that LED last several times as long, they're actually cheaper in the long run.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for the input.

I don't need dimming, so I will probably go with the ones that I mentioned.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I bought some Nightcore EC4GT lights. For a 170g light it has a crazy throw (56,000) and is compact enough for an easy carry.
The only drawback seems that the body gets rather warm an after about 30 minutes on high power.

So at work recently one of the employees was car jacked at 5.30pm at the adjacent multi story car park. How would something like this flashlight shined in the face fair in terms of dazzling criminal scum enough to make them go after an easier target? Lethal options are forbidden per work policies. Basically would be carrying this in a holster for the walk back and forth to the car.

LunarMist

So at work recently one of the employees was car jacked at 5.30pm at the adjacent multi story car park. How would something like this flashlight shined in the face fair in terms of dazzling criminal scum enough to make them go after an easier target? Lethal options are forbidden per work policies. Basically would be carrying this in a holster for the walk back and forth to the car.

That's not a tactical light with a crenelated bezel. Anyway, I'd expect the individual with the weapon to aim in the direction of the light so it's probably useless.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I don't require a striking bezel as I don't plan to get that close to the criminal. I'm parked in an outside lot, was thinking more of something very bright that I could use to dazzle/temporarily blind them from a distance to give me an extra few seconds to get away. Maybe in strobe mode? Pepper spray and tasers also not permitted at work.

Edit to add: maybe something like the Nitecore Tiny Monster?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017MO9DEK/

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't require a striking bezel as I don't plan to get that close to the criminal. I'm parked in an outside lot, was thinking more of something very bright that I could use to dazzle/temporarily blind them from a distance to give me an extra few seconds to get away. Maybe in strobe mode? Pepper spray and tasers also not permitted at work.

Edit to add: maybe something like the Nitecore Tiny Monster?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017MO9DEK/
So don't follow the rules if you don't want to be a be a victim.

LunarMist

What sort of job is this?

It doesn't sound like a good one. I've worked in some pretty rough neighborhoods (e.g., dead bodies found nearby), but the facility provided security.
If the parking lot is not safe, there should at least be a security "walk to the car" policy. Is the company taking any actions after the incident?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
LED filament bulbs have really taken off over the last few years. I ignored the older ones as decorative curiosities, but the current household ones in Warm White and Cool White from Osram can top 130 lumens /Watt. They run dramatically cooler than non-filament bulbs.

This is because there are several LEDS in series in each filament, which allows a higher drive voltage and a more efficient driver design. Typical designs have 4 filaments of 20-odd LEDs each, so each LED in a 7W bulb uses approximately 80mW.

A new video from BigClive caught my attention:

The Dubai Lamp bulbs are available only in the UAE under an exclusive deal. By tripling the number of LEDs (12 filaments), Philips was able to reduce the power of each LED to only 10mW, which improved efficacy to a very impressive 200 lumens per Watt. The reduced LED heating means that the bulbs should last a lot longer - Philips claims 25000 hours but surely you're now limited by the longevity of the driver rather than the LEDs?

In other words, Philips just boosted their luminous efficacy and longevity by 65-100%, without introducing any new technology, because someone gave them an incentive.