Something Random

sedrosken

Florida Man
Finally got my insurance sorted for 2018. Hoping that being around people who smoke doesn't qualify me for "using" tobacco products myself, that's a pretty hefty tobacco surcharge at $25/wk. Plus I said I didn't, so they'd likely cancel my plan for fraud or something if it does. I need to get in and see an eye doctor, I haven't had new glasses for three years and the ones I have aren't aging well.

My loan from Sallie Mae enters active repayment tomorrow, though according to them I don't actually owe them anything until 12/03.

My GPU gets a little hotter than I like it to (73C, I prefer to keep it below 70 so it doesn't turn my bedroom into a furnace) when in Furmark, but that's really a worst case scenario isn't it? I haven't found a game yet that I simply cannot run on this card... Aside from maybe Doom 2016. Even at the lowest settings I can take it to it just dips so often... even then it's my suspicion that it isn't my video card but the slow hard drive I'm playing it off of that's causing the stuttering.

No one's heard from Merc at all?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not sure what to buy of the psychotic symptoms, The good old 8062A or something Like that is gone.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I had to take a break for financial reasons and they all entered repayment. It's not likely that I will be returning in 2018, looks like I'm on track for 2019 though.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I had to take a break for financial reasons and they all entered repayment. It's not likely that I will be returning in 2018, looks like I'm on track for 2019 though.

As I noted above apply for a deferment anyways to reduce your financial burden.

Make sure you go back. Don't be like many people who never go back.

If in a STEM or accounting/financial degree track that will lead to a real paying job, then yes go back but if Sed was in a mickey mouse program but gets a real job now, forget it.

Stereodude

Not really a
If in a STEM or accounting/financial degree track that will lead to a real paying job, then yes go back but if Sed was in a mickey mouse program but gets a real job now, forget it.
Even if the program is Mickey Mouse and he gets a real job it's still highly dependent on what the real job is. Some fields will overlook a lack of a degree if you have good relevant experience. Most others will not. Fair or not, a college degree is often simply used as way to thin the pool of potential applicants for a job even if it's not really necessary to do the job in question.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Sed, you could look at a dev bootcamp. My company has hired a few people from those programs. The good ones aren't cheap, but they are short in comparison to a 4 year bachelors.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Going with Nokian Hakka 9 studded snow tires this winter, after many years of non studded winter tires. I'm expecting significantly more road noise but better control in icy conditions.

LunarMist

Going with Nokian Hakka 9 studded snow tires this winter, after many years of non studded winter tires. I'm expecting significantly more road noise but better control in icy conditions.

I thought studs were banned, or does that depend on the location?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Even if the program is Mickey Mouse and he gets a real job it's still highly dependent on what the real job is. Some fields will overlook a lack of a degree if you have good relevant experience. Most others will not. Fair or not, a college degree is often simply used as way to thin the pool of potential applicants for a job even if it's not really necessary to do the job in question.

Yeah that true. A degree gets you past the HR gatekeepers. I guess I meant to say don't take on USD$100,000 student loan debt getting a gender studies degree.

LunarMist

I was replying to the quote below. Maybe the Androids were acting up. :(

Yeah that true. A degree gets you past the HR gatekeepers. I guess I meant to say don't take on USD$100,000 student loan debt getting a gender studies degree

Stereodude

Not really a
I guess I meant to say don't take on USD$100,000 student loan debt getting a gender studies degree.
That should go without saying, unfortunately it can't these days. Colleges and Universities will gladly sell you a worthless degree because they're largely in it for the money.

LunarMist

I've never hired anyone with a worthless degree. Are they post grad or do you mean B.S.?

LunarMist

UPS is BS. Supposedly it shipped Friday for overnight delivery and I am waiting around today like an idiot.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
UPS is BS. Supposedly it shipped Friday for overnight delivery and I am waiting around today like an idiot.

My wife purchased some head-bands (on Etsy) from a young lady in Chicago. Took 3 days to transit from Chicago, to LA to Sydney Australia... 18 days from Sydney to be delivered to us... (We lost tracking when it got to Sydney, as Australia Post's new tracking system will only show local parcels and not parcels from international agencies).