Western Digital vs. Seagate: Only One Is a Buy

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have no idea what that stock stuff means. Does Seagate not have plans for SSDs? I would find that odd at this point in history.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm not much of a fan of Seagate, however they do offer SSDs in their lineup. I don't know who makes the parts and NAND which would be key to them staying relevant and profitable. They announced a 60TB SSD a while back. If they can offer a pricing advantage compared to other NAND offerings that might help them. Having 60TB drives would be an awesome in terms of density.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I don't know who makes the parts and NAND which would be key to them staying relevant and profitable. .

Early models used LinkAMedia Controllers with Toshiba NAND, current PCIe/NVMe models use Sandforce controllers with Toshiba NAND. Very few detailed reviews of their current consumer based SATA SSDs so can't tell you.
Typically firmware was customised by Seagate.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Early models used LinkAMedia Controllers with Toshiba NAND, current PCIe/NVMe models use Sandforce controllers with Toshiba NAND. Very few detailed reviews of their current consumer based SATA SSDs so can't tell you.
Typically firmware was customised by Seagate.

So Seagate will go out of business after a while? :( I like the 10TB helium drives.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It'll be a long while, but they don't seem to be building a future as a storage company.