100 watt led bulb

Stereodude

Not really a
I made note of the Switch bulbs here last month. The "100W" version isn't expected to be available until early 2012 (along with the "40W"). Even the "60W" and "75W" versions can't be bought yet and they're supposedly available.

Picard

What is this storage?
I want one just for the looks of the thing. But probably won't; CFL's are more energy efficient, that matters to me more.

ddrueding

Fixture
I want one just for the looks of the thing. But probably won't; CFL's are more energy efficient, that matters to me more.

CFLs are not more efficient.

Cheaper? yes.
More light? yes.
Better quality light? Maybe.
Dimmable? No.
More efficient? No.
Longer lasting? No.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Neutral white? Where's the market for that?
They used neutral white to mean like halogen track lighting, so it's really warm white. And there's a huge market for neutral white (3500K to 5000K). 3500K and 5000K CFLs at the local Home Depot are always nearly sold out. Despite the fixation of trying to imitate incandescent with both CFLs and LEDs, it seems large numbers of people prefer something whiter once they realize they have a choice.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
My brother uses some reeeeallly yellow CFLs in his home. They don't seem to bother him, but I feel sick eveytime I'm there. I don't mind incandescents, but these really bother me.

Picard

What is this storage?
CFLs are not more efficient.

Cheaper? yes.
More light? yes.
Better quality light? Maybe.
Dimmable? No.
More efficient? No.
Longer lasting? No.

Cheaper? Yes

More light? Yes - That being the point.

Better Quality light? what with all the choices, I'd say yes.

Dimmable? Some are - http://dimmablecfls.com/

More efficient? They have improved over the last few years, but do you really trust the figures being put out by those wanting to sell you a $35-$60 dollar light bulb?

Longer last? No? Tell that to the guy that bought 8 of them a couple years ago, and now has only two that still function-the two he put inside his fridge...Oh! Wait! that was me! What a waste of money that was. Thankfully, I did not pay $35 each for them. Perhaps a $35 dollar light bulb would still function, but that is no way I will ever pay $35 for a light bulb. I have a couple CFL's that are twenty years old and still function. Yeah, yeah, I know, they don't put out as much light as that once did, but that put out a lot more than those 6 dead led bulbs. The two in the fridge only function cause the fridge keeps them cool.

ddrueding

Fixture
Those Dimmable CFLs do look nice.

I trust the efficiency figures of the LED manufacturers themselves, as they are independently verified by lots of people.

The problem with LED "bulbs" that you encountered is that there is more to it than the LED. There is a power supply, some kind of circuitry (that I don't understand), and some connecting bits. This makes LED "bulbs" highly variable in terms of quality, reliability, and efficiency.

When built well (like the ones JTR has done for me), there is no competitor when it comes to efficiency.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm sympathetic to Picard's position. I think it will be a few years yet before LEDs become ubiquitous in lighting. It's worth remembering that there's a considerable difference between leading edge technology and what can be mass produced and installed for a low cost.

There's actually an example in the CPF forum that Ddrueding linked to, where a firm has announced an LED lamp with a stunning CRI of 97. Note that it's not yet available to buy, and certainly a long, long way off being available in your local supermarket. Unfortunately, efficacy hovers around just 45 lumens per watt, which is less than the typical CFL with 50 to 60 lumens per watt that you can pick up for a few bucks.

On top of that, low cost CFLs with their integrated ballast are nowhere near the efficacy of discrete fluorescent tubes that deliver 90 lumens per watt and have lifetimes of up to 30,000 hours. None of this requires the same degree of careful design and production engineering (eg Jtr1962!) that LED lamps do.

I see LEDs attaining prime time in downlight and spotlight applications, where the difficulty in focusing fluorescents means they struggle to displace halogen lamps. But the energy efficiency of LEDs is still too low to solve the heat dissipation problems that plague the economics of the technology.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They used neutral white to mean like halogen track lighting, so it's really warm white. And there's a huge market for neutral white (3500K to 5000K). 3500K and 5000K CFLs at the local Home Depot are always nearly sold out. Despite the fixation of trying to imitate incandescent with both CFLs and LEDs, it seems large numbers of people prefer something whiter once they realize they have a choice.
I think it's more likely that most people don't know the difference. They're probably selling out because they don't stock many.

I figure that your Home Depot CFL customer ;argely fall into two categories: those looking for whatever is cheap, and those who prefer cool white or daylight CFLs.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Cheaper? Yes

More light? Yes - That being the point.

Better Quality light? what with all the choices, I'd say yes.

Dimmable? Some are - http://dimmablecfls.com/

More efficient? They have improved over the last few years, but do you really trust the figures being put out by those wanting to sell you a $35-$60 dollar light bulb?

Longer last? No? Tell that to the guy that bought 8 of them a couple years ago, and now has only two that still function-the two he put inside his fridge...Oh! Wait! that was me! What a waste of money that was. Thankfully, I did not pay $35 each for them. Perhaps a $35 dollar light bulb would still function, but that is no way I will ever pay $35 for a light bulb. I have a couple CFL's that are twenty years old and still function. Yeah, yeah, I know, they don't put out as much light as that once did, but that put out a lot more than those 6 dead led bulbs. The two in the fridge only function cause the fridge keeps them cool.

I agree. The LEDs are not ready yet, but wait a few years. The one I have is already dimmer than it was in the beginning. The lighting is also too harsh and directional compared to CFL or frosted incandescent lamps.