12TB storage

Handruin

Administrator
You could probably build a setup just like that for less than $2200. The Hitachi 3TB drives are about $190/each ($760) leaving you with $1440 to build a small little PC to manage them and likely keep a 5th 3TB HD running as a hot spare.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
You could probably build a setup just like that for less than $2200. The Hitachi 3TB drives are about $190/each ($760) leaving you with $1440 to build a small little PC to manage them and likely keep a 5th 3TB HD running as a hot spare.

To be fair, the non-"enterprise class" version is $1000 cheaper. The only difference I saw was a 3 year warranty on the standard model and 5 year warranty on the enterprise model. If you bought your own drives and parts you'd be lucky to get more than a year warranty on any of the parts beyond the HDDs. That makes the cost of the enclosure closer to $450.

Although you could just buy one of these sans-digital (seems to be a terrible translation to me) external enclosure for ~ $150 . Probably cheaper than trying to build something from scratch.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
maybe, unfortunately I don't have any spare 3TB drives to test. I do have a sans-digital enclosure (port expander/backplane only model) I need to setup.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My server is 12gb available in RAID6, less formatted and after the HD size myth of course. I must have less than $1500 in that machine.

Handruin

Administrator
Mine is about the same, minus raid overheard for raid5 and I spent about $1500 in parts.