1KW Power Supply

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Overkill is when one usesd redundant 1KW PS's in a stock Dell Celeron vomit box. For the rest of us it is a minimum requirement. How else is Merc supposed to power his terrabytes.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Triple 12v rails, awesome:

DC Output:
Output: +5V @ 30A
+12V1 @ 16A
+12V2 @ 16A
+12V3@ 36A
+12V1,V2,V3 = 66A (70A pk.)
-12V @ 0.8A
+3.3V @ 30A
+5VSB @ 3.5A
continuous = 1000W
peak = 1100W

I am not even going to look the price of that thing up.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Around $500.

For a little more, I can get a Supermicro case with 15 hot swap bays, and triple redundant 760W PSU. Which does fine with dual Opterons, and 12 drives.

I guess this is one for the "mines bigger than yours" people."

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
P5-133XL said:
For the rest of us it is a minimum requirement. How else is Merc supposed to power his terrabytes.

Most of my machines actually have 450 or 500W PSUs in them, actually. Nothing too fancy.
At the point where a 1kW PSU is actually required, you'd probably be better off with 3 400W redundant units.

I'm not sure what kind of idiot would really need such a thing.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Hmm. I'm working on our DR iSeries today. It has redundant 6 amp 220V PSUs (1368 VA each). Add to that 3 expansion drawers, each with redundant 2A/220V (358VA) PSUs and the supporting goodies (tape library, console server, dedicated Cisco switch, KVM & switch, etc.). All told it takes 25U in the 42U rack has 4 PDUs. Each PDU is on a separate L6-30 (30A 220V) circuit for redundancy. It throws off about 6800 BTUs.

Overall hardware is 2 Power5 CPUs w/12GB RAM, 42 140GB 15K disks (5.1TB in RAID5), 3 Windows-on-a-card servers, dual-LTO3 tape library, and a partridge in a pear tree.

With the rack it weighs just over 1200 pounds. :lol:

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
...I'm not sure what kind of idiot would really need such a thing.

The sort of idiot that can't install a redundant power supply in their gamer chassis, has a loaded up system full of high-wattage SLI graphics with a PCI card in every other available slot, 8GB of überclocked RAM, a pair of überclocked dual-core food processors, a bevy of bus-powered input devices on every port, LED lightshow ornaments on every component, fans fans and more fans, then wants to add liquid cooling apparatuses without external DC power supplies.

Explorer

Fushigi said:
Hmm. I'm working on our DR iSeries today....

I commonly work with and around various computer systems / peripheral hardware that use 3-phase 240-volt power or single-phase 208-volt power. Upstream from there are numerous PDUs powered by a farm of serious UPS units running off of 600 volt 3-phase power.

• [list:51fcd2b491]
    intropic.jpg

Hum City
[/list:u:51fcd2b491]

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My first AS/400 took something like 7 or 8 complete racks and had a 20KVA dedicated UPS all to itself. The iSeries I mentioned above is 600x faster, has 500x the usable disk, and 100x the RAM in essentially a 1/2-rack that uses far less power.

All the other equipment in this data center chews through power & heating capacity like mad. Around 80 Wintels + Cisco + Nokia + phone system + others. We have 3 15 ton chillers and we're busting capacity. The new data center will upgrade that substantially. Unfortunately, the building's mains are starting to be pushed and there aren't any immediate plans to add more capacity as it's pretty expensive (the data center is on the 45th floor).

This is just for DR. Our production data center is in a bomb-resistant facility. :mrgrn:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Explorer: Hey that's a Liebert 600 series UPS, that's some serious stuff. I work for liebert in their monitoring division, where are you, it's possible we have met at some time.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
MaxBurn said:
Explorer: Hey that's a Liebert 600 series UPS, that's some serious stuff. I work for liebert in their monitoring division, where are you, it's possible we have met at some time.
Our 3 HVACs here are Liebert Challenger series machines.

Platform

MaxBurn said:
I work for liebert in their monitoring division, where are you, it's possible we have met at some time.

Maxburn, it's a good thing the Grammar Police did not spot your run-on sentence. You have been warned!!!
18774222393e4a55cbef1cb.png

where are you,

I'm near the intersection of Heartattack and Vine.

By the way, a quick survey shows various other Liebert goodies around here like dozens of System/3 cooler units and gaggles of Precision Power 12 PDUs. Strangely enough, after looking a bit harder, I just noticed a Datawave 1 that I guess has been sitting there forever -- never really noticing that it *wasn't* a "Precision Power 12."

it's possible we have met at some time.

I doubt it, since I'm invisible.