1TB Drives?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
What are folks currently recommending in 1TB and up drives?

I have yet to need to recommend anything this large to anybody, but am personally coming to the point where I need to upgrade the 750GB drives in my NAS.

Stereodude

Not really a
FWIW, my Samsung's (8 x 1.5TB) have been fine, as have my Seagates (3 x 1.5TB, 2 x 1.0TB) [aside from the firmware issue].

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yes, I am. I have a 7K1000.B here. I haven't paid much attention to it and it is still in its original package.

What do you want to know?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Just general reliability and performance info, Coug. There is so much mention of the other brands but none of the Hibachi, I was beginning to wonder. The Hibachis are easily available at decent prices in my neck of the woods. The other brands easily available are Seagate and WD. Now you know why I'm asking!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The only problem with Hitachi's, that I know of, are that they run much hotter than the other brands. I won't use them unless the case they are installed into have fans blowing directly on them.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've got four 1TB Hitachi drives sitting in an Acer Windows Home Server at a customer site. They were the cheapest 1TB drives I could get. They get a little bit warm, but that might be from the design of the enclosure.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I only buy drives one at a time these days, so I don't know how useful my observations are.

I disagree with Mark, the current Hitachi models aren't any hotter than anything else. In fact, the 1TB Hitachi in the PC in front of me is cool to the touch, and therefore much cooler than the 250GB Samsung that preceded it.

Having said that, the case does have a 1000rpm cooling fan in front of the drives.

Not that it means anything sensible at all. You should be looking at power consumption, not surface temperature, and certainly not whatever the drive reports (when comparing different brands). In theory, a drive that feels hot to the touch is getting rid of heat more effectively.

In terms of power consumption, the Hitachi is comparable to the Samsung. It draws less power when spinning up (and possibly at idle?) but more when seeking - because it has slightly faster seeks.

A big thing for me is that the Hitachi is fairly quiet, unlike some user reports of newer Samsung 1TB drives.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There seems to be a slight price premium for the Samsung drives. Do I get something for that?