2 Nforce2 or ¬ 2 Nforce2

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
I would like to upgrade to an Nforce2 system, within budgetary constraints. For now, I'm considering Thoroughbred 1700+ processors, and hoping I can overclock the FSB to 166 or more (possibly having to lower the multiplier). I don't want to modify the processor or motherboard, though. Eventually I'll upgrade the processor, perhaps to a Barton, once prices drop enough.

I could hope my luck continues with a factory-unlocked Tbred (like my Duron 650 and Tbird 1.2). Or I can hope to get a B-stepping Tbred and use the BIOS multiplier-unlocking feature of some motherboards.

3 questions:
  1. Which Nforce2 mobo should I get? I was interested in Epox's, but have seen some reports of problems with it. FWIW, only the Abit, Asus and MSI are on AMD's recommended list for the 3000+ processor. But I've heard negative feedback on the quality of those manufacturers. Soltek's is interesting, but doesn't have the SoundStorm audio I'd like. I've looked at lots of reviews, but I'd love to hear about real-world experience.
  2. What do I do with my drives: 2 hard, 1 DVD, and 1 CD-RW? Could I just put the optical drives on my old Promise ATA/33 card to let the hard drives have separate IDE channels? Of the boards with serial ATA, which ones would allow multiple drives to be independent, not forced into some kind of RAID? And what about the quality/performance of the serial ATA controllers?
  3. Should I just wait for this upgrade, for instance, to see which motherboards support official AMD 200 FSB processors (if they ever come out), to see if problems develop over time in some of the boards, or for capacitor problems to be fixed and bad ones flushed out of the market?
Thanks for your consideration.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Personally, I believe the Asus Nforce2 board to be pretty much superior to the others available. However, it also costs a bit more... The asus and the epox are my top(4) picks.

I'm not sure which makes/models of Nforce2 boards allow multiplier adjustments, I know Epox does...

I believe most boards are using Silicon Image S-ATA controllers... I haven't taken much notice of it since I dont rely on S-ATA for operation.

As far as capacitor problems are involved... My best advice is to just stay away from cheap manufacturers. If it's truely a problem affecting everybody then there is not much way to avoid it... however, if it is a limited problem, then the cheap manufacturers are probably more likely to be effected.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I've had an Epox 8RDA+ and the Abit NF7 (non-S). As long as you aren't planning on going over 166mhz FSB, I'd go for the Epox. The Abit is nice if you are going >166 because it has BIOS adjustable chipset voltage which the Epox lacks. It should be noted that the non-S NF7 only has the MPC2 and not the MPC2T (which includes built in APU and firewire).

C

Newtun

I think the ASUS has the BIOS multiplier-unlocking feature. I wonder how its chipset heat sink compares with the cheepset fan on the Epox. I don't want to chance 200 MHz FSB, but I was thinking of sync-ing with PC3000 DDR (183/185/188? MHz FSB). I wonder whether this would be low enough to keep the North Bridge from overheating.

In going back to the ASUS section of the Anandtech 6-way nF² Roundup, I noticed it says "The SI3112A controller lets you setup two independent Serial ATA devices as well as RAID 0 (striping) and RAID 1 (mirroring) arrays." So that answers part of my 2nd question, though to use S-ATA, I would have to get parallel-serial converters (or a new serial drive) (or both).

Woops! I just checked Newegg, and they are sold out of the Epox, but they have the Soltek version in. I'll go check for reviews of that one, since Soltek has a pretty good reputation for quality.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
The heatsink on the Asus northbridge hardly gets warm at the 145MHz FSB that I had it set to. However, the southbridge gets hot enough to cause serious burns even at stock speed so I glued on a small heatsink to it and now its much cooler.

Newtun

Darn, the Soltek looks interesting, but not having that Soundstorm is disappointing.

The manual seems to say that the drivers are "All in 1" (an unfortunate echo of 4in1). If I don't get a Soundstorm-enabled motherboard, I'd prefer not to install the Realtek audio drivers at all, just keep my Santa Cruz. I wonder if I can just install the motherboard and LAN drivers. Otherwise I might hold out for the MCP-T.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Newtun said:
I think the ASUS has the BIOS multiplier-unlocking feature. I wonder how its chipset heat sink compares with the cheepset fan on the Epox.
The EPoX doesn't have any fan on the north bridge, just a relatively big passive heatsink. According to many, this passive heatsink is what's holding back the board when trying to reach very high FSB frequencies. Nonetheless, it generally clocks higher than most other boards based on the nForce2 chipset.

Newtun said:
Woops! I just checked Newegg, and they are sold out of the Epox, but they have the Soltek version in. I'll go check for reviews of that one, since Soltek has a pretty good reputation for quality.
First of all, I wouldn't buy the Asus A7N8X or the Soltek SL-75FRN-L. The reason? dual phase power circuitry :

[url=http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/soltek_sl75frnl/4.shtml said:
Lost Circuit[/url]] The only issue pertaining to the number of phases is the switching frequency. That is, because of trace impedance and related issues, e.g. the choice of MOSFET, there is a certain limit to how fast every phase can switch. Two phases that are shifted will double the switching frequency, three phases will triple it and so on. The underlying principle is very similar to the difference between a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder engine and the above mentioned cost savings argument would be equivalent to claims of reduced cost based on reduced counterweights on the crankshaft. In order to reduce the switching ripples, a commonly used practice is to different upper and lower MOSFETs with one being faster, and the other one a bit slower for a staggered onset.

There is, however, no substitute for multiple phases, since all improvements done on a 2-phase design can also be implemented on higher number of phases, albeit at greater cost. To compensate for the coarser granularity, and higher delays in switching, often enough a small offset in voltage is being used, meaning that the default voltage is set slightly higher than necessary so that even negative spikes can be absorbed more easily. The last issue in this respect is where the VRM gets its power from in the first place. Lately, we have seen a tendency to use the dedicated auxiliary 12 V rails to supply CPU power to the board instead of plugging into the board power supplied by the standard 20 pin ATX connector. In general, this is a good thing but if the system PSU has fluctuations on the 12V rail, those will be propagated to the CPU unless heavy duty buffering and filtering is applied.
So all in all, you're better off with a triple-phase design. You can be fine with a dual-phase, but only if it has been very well made by the board manufacturer. And no, it's not because it's Asus that it's automatically good. There are also concerns about the long-term reliability of dual-phase power circuits versus triple-phase, since the former has to share the load on only two transistors instead of three. To summarize, a triple-phase power circuitry means less risks and removes a lot of "if".

The 12V rail addition is a nice bonus too. The only nForce2 motherboard I have seen with both a triple-phase power circuit and a 12V rail is the Abit NF7. It doesn't mean it's perfect, but it should be among the most reliable. However, Abit has a tumultuous history regarding long term reliability, mostly because of the tendency of many of their past motherboards to use cheap capacitors that were prone to leak with the time. A look at the layout of the NF7 tells me that it shouldn't be the case since there are a lot of big capacitors on it, so none should be overcharged.

Here's my list of Pro and Cons for the nForce2 boards I have seen so far :

• Asus A7N8X & Deluxe :
    Pricey
    Dual-phase power circuitry
    No P4-like 12V rail

Abit NF7 & NF7-S
    Cheaper than Asus and Chaintech, but dearer than most others
    Abit's history of leaky capacitors

FIC AU11
    Like the EPoX, 10$ cheaper
    No SoundStorm support (no SPDIF and ACR for 5.1 output), although it uses MCP-T
    Passive north bridge heatsink
    No 12V rail
    Superior overclocking results nonetheless

EPoX EP-8RDA & 8RDA+
    No 12V rail
    Superior overclocking results nonetheless

Chaintech 7NJS
    Too expensive
    C-Media audio controller instead of nForce APU.
    No 12V rail
    dual-phase power circuitry
    I don't like it, period.

Leadtek K7NCR18D & Pro
    Cheap
    Not the best overclocker
    No 12V rail

MSI K7N2-L
    dual-phase ...
    has the 12V rail though
    Not a great overclocker
    Like most things from MSI : average
    IMO, there are better products elsewhere

Soltek SL-75FRN-L
    No SoundStorm support (MCP not-T south bridge)
    dual-phase...
    has the 12V rail
    From the few reviews I read, very optimized timings.
    Yellow, I mean, come on.
This list is far from being complete. Just my first impressions on each motherboards.

The best values are, always according to my little opinion :
  • Abit NF7-S
    FIC AU11
    EPoX EP-8RDA+
    Leadtek K7NCR18D Pro
Each of them has apparently a good power circuitry and has a lot of bang for the buck. The Leadtek is good if you don't plan to overclock. FIC is the cheapess board if you want good overclocking potential, but couldn't care less for fancy features. The Abit and EPoX are the most full-featured boards with an acceptable price and with few short-comings.

Disclaimer : Should I need to repeat it, this is only my personal view on it.

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
I'd happily recommend the Epox 8RDA+ - very stable and loaded with features at a very reasonable price. May be worth putting some sort of active cooling on the northbridge heatsink (or at the very least replacing the gunk Epox use with Arctic Silver) if you want to run it above 166FSB, but it's been rock-solid for me thus far with my 2100+ T'Bred B.

GM

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
unfortunately there are still alot of boards using dual phase circuitry.. i would love to have a 3 phase power circuit... but i'm sure Asus saw that their board already cost more than the others, and had to cut corners somewhere... most people will never realize the difference.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
... but i'm sure Asus saw that their board already cost more than the others, and had to cut corners somewhere...
... to preserve their fat profit margins. :p

I wonder if people may be off-course worrying about Northbridge cooling on the Epox? The fact is, a consensus of reviews to date has found it to overclock better than anything else so far, so why would it need extra cooling? Clocker's experiment didn't seem to change anything much with his board (it's still unstable at 200MHz).

Newtun

Thanks for all the interesting replies. I was leaning toward the Epox +, but Soltek seems to have a good reputation, and that 12v rail would appear to be a plus for future processor upgrading. So Abit has that, and 3-phase power too. Hmmm.

I had the misfortune of being forced into my previous upgrade with little notice, and my somewhat cursory research resulted in my current Abit KT7-RAID (just before the kt133A's arrived). But it's been pretty good to me.
Also, I had gotten the impression that Abit was not the only manufacturer that used bad cap's, just one of the few to admit it.

I was interested in getting out of the VIA arena with the nF², but now there's news of the KT400A. So I guess I should wait and see about that - it might blow the sox off of the nF² by 2-3%. Or it might help lower the prices of the nF².

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Don't wait for the KT400A. It won't be much faster than the KT400, just more reliable with PC3200 memory. It probably won't be as fast as the SiS746FX either. Motherboard manufacturers say that it will feature a south bridge with a few more goodies, but that's about it. All in all, it will just be a better budget chipset, not a bleeding edge toy.

You'd wait for nothing. Buy a nForce2 now.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
time said:
blakerwry said:
... but i'm sure Asus saw that their board already cost more than the others, and had to cut corners somewhere...
... to preserve their fat profit margins. :p

I wonder if people may be off-course worrying about Northbridge cooling on the Epox? The fact is, a consensus of reviews to date has found it to overclock better than anything else so far, so why would it need extra cooling? Clocker's experiment didn't seem to change anything much with his board (it's still unstable at 200MHz).

Correct, my situation was weird. The board would be stable with very good cooling (and the case OPEN) but if the case was closed with ambient temps inside at about 90F the system would not be stable. I'm 99% certain having the ability to increase the chipset voltage would have solved the problem. It is necessary on my corrent NF7 (which has adjustment in BIOS) to use 1.7v Vdd. My next board, the Epox 8RGA+, will have BIOS adjustable Vdd up to 2.0v so I suspect additional cooling will be required at the higher voltages. I don't expect to need more than 1.8v for the speeds I'll consider though (200-217Mhz)..
C

Newtun

Oh, great. I was just trying to decide between the Epox and the Abit (stop me before I do Abit again!). But the Abit has the power of two: 3-phase and 12v rail.

But now this. Good thing I didn't go with my impulse last night.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I've got to say, my A7N8X Deluxe and a friend's Shuttle SN41 both work fine (for the time being at least). The article implies that this is a standard problem with these boards, but it seems its probably only true under some circumstances, or some batches?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
As far as I know the shuttle problem is something they mucked up in the BIOS/firmware... they have set the board to save certain settings even through a CMOS clear... so people who are overclocking, etc... can't reboot if they muck something up... the problem is solved by holding down the insert key on boot... aparently the people with this problem are the less experienced overclockers...

I have read less about the Asus problem... although I have seen several people state that it has to do with a setting that has the option to be either "Auto" or "by SPD", so i believe they are referring to memory timings... flashing with a BIOS update seems to set this setting to "by SPD" causing problems... I think this problem should be solved by a BIOS update as well...

Newtun

When I was checking the Abit NF7-S reviews this morning, Adrian's Rojak Pot noted that as a feature: if your O/C attempt fails, you don't have to reset all your BIOS settings from the defaults again.

Of course, if your setting combo doesn't boot at all, it loses some of its charm.

One question I didn't find an answer to is whether the Abit BIOS has that feature of being able to change the multiplier of "locked" Thoroughbred B processors.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Newtun said:
When I was checking the Abit NF7-S reviews this morning, Adrian's Rojak Pot noted that as a feature: if your O/C attempt fails, you don't have to reset all your BIOS settings from the defaults again.

Of course, if your setting combo doesn't boot at all, it loses some of its charm.

One question I didn't find an answer to is whether the Abit BIOS has that feature of being able to change the multiplier of "locked" Thoroughbred B processors.

THe NF7 unlocks my 2400+ no problem.

C

Newtun

Yeah, but I see your RMA didn't fix your reboot issues. That's a shame.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i wonder if all these problems are being caused by stupid overclockers... not that overclockers are inherently stupid, but these guys might be of the inexperienced "joe six pack" variety.

Of the problems I have seen(through message boards) with the Nforce2 they involve overclocking... either overclocking while upgrading BIOS... overclocking too far and unable to POST.... making changes to the CMOS while overclocked... etc. etc...

When people are saying that their BIOS's are currupted, I believe they actually mean their CMOS data has been corrupted... holding down insert restores defaults and fixes the problem...

A few posts lead me to believe that there may actually be a problem with the Nforce2.. however, most of these "problems with the nforce2" lead me to believe that the problem is actually somewhere between the chair and the keyboard if you catch my drift.

The VIA kt400a should be out soon... if you're worried about Nforce, just get a kt400a

Newtun

The claim seemed to be that the BIOS is permanently corrupted, and couldn't be cleared - a BIOS chip replacement was required.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i've seen people who had the "corrupted" BIOS problem... both did the same thing and got the same problem... one person chose to hold down the insert key and it resolved the problem... the other chose to replace his BIOS (and made no mention of trying to hold down insert) and fixed the problem...

perhaps the latter guy should have tried more troubleshooting...

I have heard of these problems being fixed by holding down the insert key... atleast 5 seperate cases.. i have only heard of one thread where the guy chose to replace his BIOS chip.... this guy never mentioned holding down insert...

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Overclocking little bit too much (so that the computer doesn't crash immediately) gave me BIOS checksum error in my old 440BX-based computer. BIOS offered to "fix" the problem with a floppy with BIOS file (so the boot block was still ok). I didn't flash my BIOS at the time, so I knew it wasn't corrupted, but I had just put more memory to the computer. I think keeping Insert pressed while pressing reset fixed it (it dropped to defaults). Same checksum error happened at work when some bozo decided to overclock his PIV 2.6 GHz...

Cheers,

Jan