4 computers, no internet, one hub.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
How to make them all see each others and share files? I used to do this all the time ten years ago, but now I'm no longer sure how to do it. I don't think that just all hook the four computers to the hub and let them play together by themselves will be enough (WinXP). They'll probably have to have fix IP addresses. I'm supposed to do this Thursday morning.

I setup several SBE server 2003 a few weeks ago and I had no problem. The above is simply not complicated enough.

mangyDOG

Learning Storage Performance
Just need to give them fixed IP addresses, if you do not have any Internet then use:

I would leave 192.168.0.1 free as that is used by XP internet connection sharing if your client ever needs to turn that on and is also occasionally used by routers if they ever need to add one.

cheers
mangyDOG

ddrueding

Fixture
Considering routers are basically as inexpensive as hubs, I'd put a router in and let it's DHCP/DNS work for you. No special settings on the workstations, no remembering IP addresses, just a plug-n-go situation. Plus if they ever do get an internet connection, it is that much easier to transition.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
They all need IP addresses on the same network.

They all need file sharing turned on.

They all need to belong to the same workgroup.

Do you need details on how to do the above?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
No it will be fine, thanks.

DD, they already have the hub and they don't want to pay for something else. It should be fine.

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
Yep. Pretty stupid. I think he/she/it has about 8 aliases or whatever the hell you call them. Anybody that has that many aliases should be banned from the forum.

...just my 2¢