500 GB

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I forgot to say that moments before seeing that the 500GB 7200.4 drive was deactivated, I had received notification that the drive was in stock. Now it has changed from deactivated to out of stock status. What are they smoking over at the Egg?

LunarMist

There are some complaints about noise. I wonder how bad that really is.

LunarMist

STILL in stock out. Perhaps I should wait for the next capacity step at 5400 RPM. When will there be 750GB drives?

ddrueding

Fixture
That would depend on your metric for both. I suspect that you are willing to pay a premium for SSDs, and that speed for your large drives isn't as important. If they could get down to merely double in price, and not completely suck at small random write performance, I doubt they would have a hard time selling them.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Well as I don't have the WD 500GB drive, not sure how much comparison I can do. But I can run a benchmark or two when I get it. What type of benchmark are you looking for? And links to download the benchmark software would be helpful too.

LunarMist

Mine is lost in space. How reliable is that supplier? How well was it packaged?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I've ordered from mwave quite a few times over the years. Always a good experience. But I have nowhere near the volume of someone like merc or ddrueding.
I only order maybe once per year.

The cardboard box was a bit dinged up, probably thrown by the delivery people, but it weighed like nothing as these drives weigh like nothing. There was however at least two layers of big bubble wrap around the drive and on the ends. That is like an inch plus on the front and back of the hard drive. The bubble wrap was also sealed well with clear tape. It looked almost waterproof. Inside the box there was no gaps so it was sandwiched in there well. All in all I'd say it was packaged very well but handled poorly. But it came all the way from CA to PA. No markings like fragile on the box though. And the drive itself just came in the silver bag. No case or anything.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Well the drive seems fast. But it keeps making this noise like the head parking or something. It keeps testing fine via chkdsk no bad sectors. But the noise has me worried. I can't find any AAM setting tool for this drive either.

LunarMist

My drive was not packed very well, but the box is fine. Drive is made in China. :tdown:

LunarMist

I thought we had moved on to the 500GB 7200.4. The WD is SO 2008. :D

LunarMist

Well I found a program to adjust the APM and AAM settings of the drive:
http://code.google.com/p/quiethdd/wiki/quietHDD
It worked, clicking is gone.
Must of been the head parking agressively to save power.
I only wish the program could tell when my computer was docked or undocked.

What settings are you using? My 7200.4 is very slow, with access 17-18 ms. Is this just another Seagate POS?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I ran two tests in each of hdtach's modes quick and long.
Here they are
http://willrickards.net/images/hdtach/

This isn't a great test because it was running from the drive itself.
But I didn't feel like taking the drive out of the laptop just for this.
But if you want me to run other benchmarks let me know.
I can hook it up to my home computer and run tests.