8 x 1.5TB + Perc 6i + RAID-6 = Faster Storage

ddrueding

Fixture
I meant, I wasn't supposed to have enough time to start it. The missus and I are supposed to be driving to Shadowbrook for dinner before dancing...but she's still "not ready", even though I would have declared her "ready" before she started.

It's running now, along with MS Update, but they are on separate disks...

Stereodude

Not really a
I wasn't really intending to post that as a comparison. It's just the latest benchmark I got. I need to IOmeter the Seagate 1.5TB x 2 RAID-1 array I made today.

Stereodude

Not really a
I ran it again, and basically got the same results. :(

perc5i2xseagate15tb2.png

Now I'm running a single drive "array" to see what happens.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Now I'm running a single drive "array" to see what happens.

I'm guessing you should see your read speeds drop by about 1/2 compared to the previous graph and your writes should stay about the same.

ddrueding, I'd really love to see that softRAID.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm guessing you should see your read speeds drop by about 1/2 compared to the previous graph and your writes should stay about the same.
I wouldn't... The card doesn't appear to speed up RAID-1 reads (see the results from my 750x2 RAID-1 array test).

Well, I'm only 2/3rds of the way through the IOmeter run on a single drive "array", but the single drive seems to be matching the RAID-1 performance. I will have to test the other single drive next. *sigh*

Stereodude

Not really a
Here's a single 1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 on the Perc 5/i:

That is not at all what I would expect. I'm testing the other right now and will test them on the ICH9R later today when I get home.

Mercutio

You did get somewhat better performance with the softRAID. Kinda. :)
With 10 drives, I kind of wonder if you've exceeded the capacity of your card's CPU. Maybe if you switch down to 4, 6, 8 drives, you'll find different results.

ddrueding

Fixture
You did get somewhat better performance with the softRAID. Kinda. :)
With 10 drives, I kind of wonder if you've exceeded the capacity of your card's CPU. Maybe if you switch down to 4, 6, 8 drives, you'll find different results.

That softRAID was with the drives in passthough mode, so the CPU of the fileserver should have handled it (a Q9550 with 8GB of RAM, shouldn't be a problem).

Mercutio

OK, well that answers that.
Maybe you should try running off your Gigabyte X48 board's onboard ports next?

ddrueding

Fixture
All those ports are already used with production drives, unfortunately. I could throw the 16-port 3Ware in there and see what it can do, but I can only do hardware work on that machine during the service window (it is our primary file server) and I'm booked for the next couple days.

Stereodude

Not really a
I discovered today that I had a single drive failure over 1 week ago on my Perc 6i RAID-6 array and I didn't know it because the default setting for the LSI MSM software for a warning (which a drive failure is considered) is to log it to the system log and the MSM log, but do nothing else (like a popup message). :tdown:

Oh, and the best part is you can change the settings, but they don't stick. :cursin:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The cards also have a speaker which should sound.

However, this appears to be disabled in the firmware on Dell PERCs. I'm not sure if it's disabled in software only or if the speaker is also physically removed. If it's a software only setting you could reflash to the LSI firmware.

Our LSI card make a shrill beep when a drive fails.

On a PERC card in a Dell server we get several orange flashing lights (one on the server front, one on the server back, one on the remote if we have it connected, and one on the drive carrier) as well as an email from the DRAC card. I suppose if we had the dell software installed we'd get some sort of popup.

Stereodude

Not really a
I updated to the latest LSI MSM software. It still didn't consider a partially degraded array a worthy of a popup, but it actually saves the changes, so I bumped up the severity so a partially degraded array will generate a popup.