80mm ->92mm convertor + fan == better temps?

ddrueding

Fixture
no floppy
no speaker
no PS/2
no serial
no optical
no IDE
no fans <120mm
no LEDs

I'm sure there are some more, but that is a good start ;)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Lots of the newer nicer motherboards have LEDs or other lights that diagnose problems eliminating the need for an old-school speaker.

Handruin

Administrator
Well…you got a little push-back from Antec, but they were willing to send you a speaker free of charge as I thought they may have done for you. I may have misunderstood your original intent because I figured you'd mount the speaker in your own fashion if they sent you one.

I don't miss having the speaker so I can see why they stopped shipping the cases with them. Granted the cost is miniscule, but if the majority of people don't need/use it...why bother providing one. I realize you are the exception in this case.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Hell, a lot of newer motherboards have speakers right on them. The first time it happened to me I thought I was going crazy.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
no floppy
no speaker
no PS/2
no serial
no optical
no IDE
no fans <120mm
no LEDs

I'm sure there are some more, but that is a good start ;)

You left out:

RJ11 (Telephone) -- Who needs stinking dial-up anymore.
parallel ports -- Thay are being replaced by usb only printers.
game ports -- I've never found a Joystick that I've wanted to use on a game.
Case doors -- They only break anyway.
Reset buttons -- Any time a reset button is needed, the power-off button is a better choice.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nice additions Mark. I forgot about game ports and RJ11, as no system I've worked with in years has had either. Parallel wastes WAY too much of the space in back; just fill the space with USB ports. The reset button is another good point, for just the reason you mention.

However after following the exclusions to this point, the case door is a moot point; there's nothing behind it!

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Hell, a lot of newer motherboards have speakers right on them.

No point in getting one with my case, if my motherboard has one.

My current desktop came with one of the aforementioned small ones that sits on the motherboard's header, giving you the option to hook it up to something else or have no beeps at all, if you wish.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Lots of the newer nicer motherboards have LEDs or other lights that diagnose problems eliminating the need for an old-school speaker.

My nearly 3-year old MSI K8T Neo has a mounting bracket with their "D-LED" thingy ("diagnostic" LED) which I think is nice. It mounts in the back where a PCI card would sit (but does not plug into a PCI slot) and gives two USB ports and a 2x2 grid of green/red LEDs. IIRC I needed it once and it gave me a nice code that I looked up to solve the problem. I could have lived without it, but I hate counting beeps.

http://www.msicomputer.cz/clanek.php?id=2541