A little bit chilly

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I only have AC in one room of my apartment, and a portable unit in my computer room.

My bedroom, however, is several shades of miserable and has been all summer long. I can't get the temperature in the room below 88F (31C for people who like less accurate scales).
Add that to my windowless, unventilated office at work and it's easy to see why I sweat a lot.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I hate to tell you this G man, but your freezer has iced up :D

That is one funny photo!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just got done doing a referee camp for high school basketball. Friday night was 2 pm -9PM, starting about 100 F inside, and tapering off to about 90.
Yesterday 8am-8:30PM peaking at about 100 starting at 2 PM on.
Same today, but we got done at 3:30 after starting at 8:00am. My pulled hamstring has pretty much recovered, and, it only is screaming a little.

It's been well over 90 for 2 weeks, everyday.

HAVE to move to the coast...

s

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
mubs said:

Gosh, it's sure great to be alive.
alright.gif

ddrueding

Fixture
I just got back from a wedding in LA over the weekend. With the temp over a hundred and the humidity over 80%, I could feel the pollution sticking to my body.

The one advantage of wearing the full tux with vest and tie was that it took nearly 5 minutes for the heat to penetrate fully and cause you to bake in the direct sun for photographs.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Whatever's causing it, whether it's temporary or a more significant change, the weather has been goofy in a lot of places on the planet in the last 15 months. Raining when and where it shouldn't, unseasonably hot or cold, etc.

Some of the links in the link I provided are scary to read - glaciers melting like crazy, etc.

In 1989, a guy working for me in southern California moved to Connecticut. When I asked him why, he talked about global warming, and how he was heading off to a then-cold place that would still be habitable when the earth warmed up. At the time I thought he was a nut. He just seems to have been way ahead of the curve.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'll wager a PII 233 that many places in North America will be in for unusually heavy snowfalls this winter.

(Not that I have a clue what I'm talking about ... mostly I'm just trying to think cold thoughts.)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
i said:
I'll wager a PII 233 that many places in North America will be in for unusually heavy snowfalls this winter.
I've noticed that pattern myself-an usually hot summer is generally followed by a very cold, snowy winter. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a couple of rare below 0°F days over here this winter. In fact, I'm actually looking forward to it.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:
In 1989, a guy working for me in southern California moved to Connecticut. When I asked him why, he talked about global warming, and how he was heading off to a then-cold place that would still be habitable when the earth warmed up. At the time I thought he was a nut. He just seems to have been way ahead of the curve.
Better start staking out land in Alaska then. In 50 years NYC will probably have a tropical climate, and most of the southern US, especially the desert areas, will be too hot to be habitable (think temps >150°F for most of the year, with peaks probably well over 200°F).

This isn't even getting into rising ocean levels which may put many coastal cities under water unless we build a system of dikes like they did in The Netherlands. In fact, wanna bet that they won't build something on a grandiose scale to keep the sea from taking New York. There's just too many people and too much infrastructure here to let it go.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Blistering Heat Wave Causes More Misery
By ERICA RYAN, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Temperatures soared past 100 in several cities, and the National Weather Service posted excessive heat warnings and advisories from Illinois to Louisiana and from Nebraska to the District of Columbia. Some areas weren't expected to receive a break until Wednesday.

Some 200 cities in the West hit daily record highs last week, including Las Vegas at 117, and Death Valley soared to 129, the weather service said.
As a large swath of the U.S. suffered through another miserably hot day, people cranked up their air conditioners, headed to swimming pools and ran through sprinklers to try to stay cool.
The forecast in Raleigh on Tuesday called for a high of 103 degrees, which would break a record set in 1949, said Mike Strickler, a weather service meteorologist in Raleigh.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
At 100°F in the evening it's still hot as hell here, but it was worse a few hours ago. Indoor temps reached 78°F, so I know it was a hot one.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
Last month (June), here, was a weird one for sure. It was the driest June ever since records have been kept. Temperatures were up to 35ºC/95ºF ~ 37ºC/98ºF everyday for a month with 25% ~ 35% relative humidity. The bone-dry and often brisk winds were from the west and southwest, straight out of the Sonoran Desert. And, to make matters worse, there was forest fire smoke blowing in from wildfires in Colorado, New Mexico, Old Mexico, and Arizona. Pink moons at night.

Fortunately, since the first week of July, all that's history now and it has been between 31ºC/89ºF and 33ºC/93ºF with decent sea breeze rainstorms in the afternoon. My grass and shrubbery are no longer withering away.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It doesn't work that way....

As the Arctic ice melts, the North Atlantic becomes flooded with fresh water. As the salinity decreases, the throughput of the Gulf Stream decreases. Eventually, it will stop bringing its warm waters to Europe. It will become colder in Europe!

Splash

tazwegion said:
Splash said:
Tazwegion:

Even though your sidebar says that you hale from somewhere in the midst of Victoria, your name implies that you are/were Tasmanian. Just in case you haven't discovered it yet, our own Pradeep / Dwunken Baztard is (was?) from Taz.

Hmmm... nah never been a resident of the Apple Isle merely a tourist, the name is actually derived from 2 sources... firstly my fascination with the Warner Bros. character Taz, and secondly during the late 80's 27Mhz Citizens Band radio was into yet another boom... 'tazwegion' @ the time was used to describe a distant station, at times it feels that Australia is so far from the rest of the world I figured it still kinda' applied ;)

Well, I was going to lambaste you if you turned out to be one of those who complain that Tasmania is too cold -- being of the crowd who refer to themselves as "Tazwegians" (Tasmanian + Norwegian, as in living in Tasmania must be like living in frigid Norway). LiamC's Canberra is normally colder than Tasmania.

Of course, nobody's going to argue that the coldest parcel of Oz is Macquarie Isle.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I wish (see title of this thread). It's been 90+ the last few days and today the high is expected to be 99 F. At the end of September. Global warming or not, weather patterns sure have gone completely crazy all over this planet.

Dïscfärm

mubs said:
...It's been 90+ the last few days and today the high is expected to be 99 F. At the end of September....

Just got through the hottest 2 days of the year here -- 99°F and 100°F respectively (about 38°C). Today it's 83°F (28°C). All in late September. Wacky.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Today is October 4th. When I went to lunch today, the bank clock/thermometer thing I drove by said that it was 91F. In Northwest Indiana. In October. Before noon.

No global warming my ass.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's just over one month into Spring here (southern hemisphere), and the official weather station down the road reported today's maximum as 40.2C (>104F) at 1:52pm.

:cry: Help ...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
time said:
It's just over one month into Spring here (southern hemisphere), and the official weather station down the road reported today's maximum as 40.2C (>104F) at 1:52pm.

:cry: Help ...

:(

Sorry about that Time. I expect that you are more used to hot weather than I am. Nonetheless, hot, dry weather sucks! For my vacation I went to Hawaii -- humidity is much more pleasant than dry heat. I guess that is why I enjoy the comfortably humid weather we get here along the coast for much of the year (except for days like today -- 18% humidity, I'm afraid to pass wind, the whole atmosphere could go up in a ball of fire).

Gilbo

Storage is cool
You say what! Look at the picture... 20cm of snow in early October --it's practically September!

I can just tell it's gonna be a crazy one this year. That stuff is far, far west of me, but this is unusual even by Canadian standards, hell it's unusual by maratimer standards, and the only thing that we expect is to be surprised every winter.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
After a brief respite from the heat a few days ago we're back into the high 70s with high humidity. Very uncomfortable and I might add very annoying for October. We've had heat since early June, with the exception of maybe one week in mid-June. :evil: That's 4+ months straight so far. I'm worn down from it. :( I don't know how anyone can exist in a climate with this kind of weather all the time. No wonder the economy is slow in places like Mexico.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
jtr1962 said:
After a brief respite from the heat a few days ago we're back into the high 70s with high humidity. Very uncomfortable and I might add very annoying for October. We've had heat since early June, with the exception of maybe one week in mid-June. :evil: That's 4+ months straight so far. I'm worn down from it. :( I don't know how anyone can exist in a climate with this kind of weather all the time. No wonder the economy is slow in places like Mexico.

jtr, with global warming, you'll find your neck of the wood warmer and warmer each winter. It might be time to move further north (or way down south).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
A global warming article a bit different, with a few different angles. We may be in for a hotter time than we realize. L.A. Times.

Melting, melting

By Mike Davis, author of "City of Quartz," "Dead Cities" and the forthcoming "Monster at the Door: the Global Threat of Avian Influenza" (New Press, 2005).

THE EMERGENCE of two category 5 hurricanes (Katrina and Rita) in a row over the Gulf of Mexico is a troubling occurrence. But for most tropical meteorologists, the truly astonishing "storm of the decade" occurred in March 2004. Hurricane Catarina — so named because it made landfall in the southern Brazilian state of Santa Catarina — was the first South Atlantic hurricane in recorded history.

A crucial question is this: Was Catarina simply a rare event at the outlying edge of the normal bell curve of South Atlantic weather or was Catarina a threshold event, signaling some fundamental and abrupt change of state in the planet's climate system?

But all the major components of global climate — air, water, ice and vegetation — are actually nonlinear: At certain thresholds they can switch from one state of organization to another, with catastrophic consequences for species too finely tuned to the old norms.

Until the early 1990s, however, it was generally believed that these major climate transitions took centuries if not millenniums to accomplish.

Now, thanks to the decoding of subtle signatures in ice cores and sea-bottom sediments, we know that global temperatures and ocean circulation can, under the right circumstances, change abruptly — in a decade or less.

Where other researchers model the late 21st-century climate that our children will live with upon the precedents of the Altithermal (the hottest phase of the current Holocene period, 8,000 years ago) or the Eemian (the previous, even warmer interglacial episode, 120,000 years ago), growing numbers of geophysicists toy with the possibilities of runaway warming returning the Earth to the torrid chaos of the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum(PETM: 55 million years ago) when the extreme and rapid heating of the oceans led to massive extinctions.

Dïscfärm

I don't recall the exact year and some of the details, but, one nasty weather event that was quite ludicrous was, I believe, in the mid 1980s, when the baseball World Series was being played in Boston.

A fairly large hurricane was passing to the east of Boston out in the Atlantic Ocean. At the same time, a strong cold front was sweeping into New England from the northwest. The two collided making for a lot of rain and snow in the hurricane feeder bands. Depending on where you were, along the coast you got gusty winds and a lot of heavy rain, whereas New Hampshire and central Mass got gusty winds and was inundated with nasty wet snow. Yuck-o.