A little bit chilly

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Got down to a brisk -26C last night, with wind chill it was -29C, coldest day since 1994 for us. Much further and I will be able to convert F straight to C!

How goes everyone in the forthcoming storm? Must have already buried Merc :)

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Well Merc probably survived as we didn't get quite as much as they said we were supposed to, though the lake-effect may add to it. Unless he was sleeping outside, then there might be a problem. But I suppose I should let him speak for himself. :)
Here we got maybe 5-8 inches? It was plenty anyway, but not a paralyzing amount. Not a good idea to go out on the roads though except with 4-wheel drive.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Brisk! I'd be frozen stiff. The coldest I've ever experienced in my life is about 34F (that's +, not -).

The weather's all goofy this year, it seems. We got record rainfall here in S. CA a few weeks ago. Buck, JSF and I became champion swimmers (in my dreams! Despite the fat on me, I sink like a stone).

ddrueding

Fixture
Last weekend I got to play in an ice storm in Portland, OR. As I was driving through it on my way to Monterey, I throught of Mark as I drove past him with 1cm sheets of ice slowly melting and peeling from my car at 80mph. Monterey was nice, 60/70s all week while I enjoyed the convertible. Now I'm back in Eugene, where 40/50s are considered "nice".

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Last night it got down to 5°F. I actually went for a long walk earlier when we were having a heat wave (10°F). I enjoy this kind of weather. Very exhilarating.

The snow's coming down hard now. Looks like about 4" so far with much more to come. Looks like I'll be busy shoveling on and off all day. Strange weather. First arctic cold, and now a blizzard. What's that I see out my window now? No, it can't be. :-? Looks like.....water? A wall of water???? :eek: No, this can't be!! It's a tsunami, and this far inland! OMFG, it's heading straight for me!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: HEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Oops, sorry guys. I just mistook my TV screen for my window. :oops: Still alive and well here. Just lots of snow, no water. Whew.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I am in fact buried, although because of the location of my house I'm not sure how much such is mine and how much blew from other people's houses. But I am somewhere well over one foot of snow delivered since yesterday afternoon. Stupid lake.

I have shovelled my driveway at least two times more than I'd consider reasonable for a two-day period - it hurts to TYPE right now - and I had the wonderful experience of watching a loaded semi jackknife in my rearview mirror last night while driving on an unplowed highway.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'll be following my GF to wherever she goes to grad school. I'm rooting for my local ones: Stanford or UCSF. But she only has interviews there, so #3 (where she's already been accepted) looms large:

Madison, WI

Where it is currently 19F with windchill taking it healthily negative and the forcast reads like a horror film:

Saturday
23°F (-5°C) | 1°F (-17°C)

Sunday
19°F (-7°C) | 17°F (-8°C)

Monday
35°F (2°C) | 24°F (-4°C)

Tuesday
36°F (2°C) | 27°F (-3°C)

Wednesday
36°F (2°C) | 25°F (-4°C)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
That's where I went for my undergrad. It's a good school (ranked #7 public in the country) and a great town. Don't let the cold scare you. Madison has the highest number of bars per capita of any city in the USA so there are lots of places to stay warm.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Madison is only 2.5-3 or so hours from here, a smidge further to Timwhit's Homewood, and maybe 4 hours to Merc.

Snow amounts varied here and there were/are lots of small drifts. I think we managed 8 or so inches overall. I shovelled twice yesterday and again this morning. Really, it's not that bad.

RWIndiana

I spoke too soon. I thought the snow had stopped, but it continued for the entire day (lake effect). I'm not sure how much more we got, but there is probably 15 inches on the ground (rough guess). 3 or 5 of that was from a previous snow. It was -7F degrees last night. Like Jtr, I actually find this weather somewhat exhilarating. I spend a couple hours outside each day trudging through the snow (I walk at least 3/4ths mile each day, more during the week since my job often requires much walking) feeding the animals and such. I love it. I'm crazy. :p

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
We got about a foot of snow here in Drexel Hill, PA.
And it is the light, non-packing, blowing stuff.
I spent many hours shoveling and brooming.

And can i just say
E A G L E S
!!!EAGLES!!!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
We got about 14" all up with lake effect, I'm sure Doug got plenty more, being close to Boston.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It's been 20F in the mid-mornings dropping to 15-17 as a min. No snow yet except on the mountains. It's really not that bad.

Except two nights ago I lost my car at the super walmart and had only a light jacket. I think my hands were cold for 10 minutes after I got into the car.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Snow? What is this snow? Do thermometers even go down to 0? Now water, that is something I have become familiar with. As mubs mentioned, we had plenty of the infamous liquid sunshine. Good thing I have room to attach an outboard motor to my trunk. Snow is that white chilly stuff that you put in a cone and squirt some fruit flavored syrup on, right?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You can have the 20" of it that's in all the places around my house that I didn't have to shovel six times over the course of the weekend.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Poor guys, all that snow. It's been a horrible winter for much of the northeastern US and Canada with ridiculous amounts of snow. I've been hearing about Atlantic Canada (New Brunswick and Newfoundland) getting a major snow storm (>1 foot of snow) at least every other week this winter it seems.

Over here in southern Ontario, we've had our snow storms, but they haven't been too bad (half a foot of snow each time). It's the cold temperatures that have been annoying me. It's hit -20 C (-4 F) / -36 (-33 F) with windchill several times over the past month and has been consistenly below -12 C (10 F) / -20 C (-4 F) with windchill for what seems like weeks on end.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I've been hearing about Atlantic Canada (New Brunswick and Newfoundland) getting a major snow storm (>1 foot of snow) at least every other week this winter it seems.
Ya, it's been an interesting winter so far e_dawg. We got three storms in a week that were, individually, big by anyone's standards. Together they almost reached white juan level.

The biggest problem we have with winter storms, in Nova Scotia anyway, is actually the wind. Most storms come with >=gale force winds which cause incredible visibility problems, and pile the snow up into huge drifts. You'll have 6" in one corner of an intersection and 8 feet of snow piled up on the other side. We've had two snow storms with hurricane force winds already this winter. Everyone walking around looks like abominable snow men. I've had a full two cm of snow caked and frozen on my face :D.

I was out walking in the last one, and actually got lost for a little while downtown because the visibility was so poor (~20 yards) :eekers:. I got lost within walking distance of my own house...

The scary thing is that, in the past february, has almost always been worse than january, so I have to admit that I'm a little curious about this coming month. I can't believe how crazy the weather has gotten in Nova Scotia the last two years.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I never cease to be amazed at the tenacity and fortitude of humans to live in some pretty difficult climes (inhospitable for me, having lived in warm/temperate climes all my life).

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Gilbo said:
Ya, it's been an interesting winter so far e_dawg. We got three storms in a week that were, individually, big by anyone's standards. Together they almost reached white juan level.

Ah, yes, that's what it was. 3 in a week.

The biggest problem we have with winter storms, in Nova Scotia anyway, is actually the wind.

Didn't know that, but perhaps I should have. I know that it's generally windy out there. BTW, it seems I forgot to include 'Scotia as part of my description of Atlantic Canada in the previous post... rest assured that I thought about NS even if I didn't write it :)

I was out walking in the last one, and actually got lost for a little while downtown because the visibility was so poor (~20 yards) :eekers:. I got lost within walking distance of my own house...

:) You know, when it's that nasty outside, it becomes a treat. I don't know if it's just the kid in me, but those days when it's so bad that everyone's having problems and I don't have to battle the blinding snow to drive 2 hours to get to work (when it normally takes 30 min), I actually quite enjoy walking and driving around and being immersed in this surreal ballet of frozen water and powerful display of nature.

Speaking of driving, when the roads are deserted and there's lots of snow and a bit of hard-pack or ice as the base, it's really fun driving around practicing power slide turns, using the handbrake to assist rotation, throttle/brake F/R weight transfer, etc. Unplowed parking lots are a treat, too, and are definitely safer as long as you avoid the light standards and curbs :)

I can't believe how crazy the weather has gotten in Nova Scotia the last two years.

Yes, it seems crazy recently, although I remember it being like that in 96 or so, and it just seems like major winter storms hit Atlantic Canada on a regular basis.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Wow, it's so nice and warm now! Seriously, I am enjoying this break from the cold. 0 C (32 F) during the day, and -7 C (19 F) at night.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
e_dawg said:
Wow, it's so nice and warm now! Seriously, I am enjoying this break from the cold. 0 C (32 F) during the day, and -7 C (19 F) at night.
Same here. It's above freezing after quite a few days of 20°F and much less. It looks like it'll be seasonal for at least the next week or so rather than below average. I might also add that it's odd how it can feel "warm" in the 30s in midwinter after a cold snap yet in fall the first day in the 40s or 50s feels quite cold. Amazing how quickly the body becomes acclimated. I don't really complain about cold any more, either. Whenever I think for a moment it might be a little too cold for comfort I just think back to some 100°+F day in mid-July and the thought quickly passes.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Ahh, nice and warm here in Dallas for the last two days, 75+ is a nice change from constant 30s and below. Tho I dont think I could live here in the summer. Oh well, back to the cold NorthEast this arvo.

.Nut

Pradeep said:
Ahh, nice and warm here in Dallas for the last two days, 75+ is a nice change from constant 30s and below.

You're lucky it wasn't icing or snowing, as it does that there in Dallas somewhat -- though much more out in the western part of the state, especially the panhandle (blizzards, snow tornadoes, etc).

...Tho I dont think I could live here in the summer.

Summer: Avoid, unless you like hail. Besides that, I couldn't deal with the bible-belt fascists during any of the 12 months.

RWIndiana

I personally didn't really like the variations in temperature from 65F to -5F. For one thing, the two inches of rain we got flooded half the county, then it froze solid. We went skating on the lawn (the day before, we had to use a boat). That was back in January now. But now we have another flood again after 1.5" of rain with more expected, and an expected 6" or more of snow tonight . . . Seems it just gets messier and messier around here. Yeesh. Actually, a small part of me loves it. I wish I didn't have to work, then I wouldn't care about the nasty weather. :)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I missed most of the winter (at least the snow) so far. A few weeks in Africa and a few weeks in LA helps. ;)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Those of you in the midwest/northeast US and Ontario/QC... during the long cold winter, you said "please make the cold weather stop!" All I can say now is "ask and you shall receive". It's been hot as hell for the past month now.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
We've had 90F+ for the last five days, thank god for central air. Last year, there wasn't a single day over 90. Should have drier air for the holiday weekend tho.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
If it hasn't been hot here for the last few days, then I don't want to know what hot is. I remember late last week (or this week end, whatever), I look at the thermometer when I sat in my car and it was written 37 freaking celsius. My car was in the shadow of a big tree.

37C, F***!

37C on a dry day is okay (well, bearable), except the climate is always wet here, so it felt like 37+++C. It might not be as bad as the Australian desert, but it's enough to give me an insolation if I stay outside for too long.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Well it sure has been nice here along the coast.

How does Tea stand those exasperating months of 45C weather with all that fur?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
It hit 106°F during that heat wave we had on the East coast about two weeks ago. I was as pissed off as hell having July weather in early June. The summers have definitely gotten hotter. When I was a kid 90° days were relatively rare. 100° was practically unheard of. During the last ten years I can remember at least half the summers where we had 100+ temps for a week or more in a row, 20 or 30 days over 90°F, and a few times we had temperatures in excess of 130°F. Yes, Death Valley temps in NYC. :x

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
I'm not sure how the rest of the country is doing, but around here it's been hot, I mean like Africa hot. Buck took me for a quick ride in his oil burner (we picked up some parts for a new ice cream maker), and with the AC off, it was awful. Unfortunately, he doesn't use his AC, but not because it doesn't work, but turning it on would be the equivalent of hooking a wagon to a snail -- his car would go from annoying slow to exhaustingly sluggish.