Abit AN7 (nFarce 2 Ultra 400) query

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've seen that motherboard appear on one of my suppliers' list and I wonder if it worths a small premium over the NF7-S (the one we gave to our kind webmaster). It features a so-called µ-Guru set of overclocking utilities, but if it doesn't o/c better than the NF7-S, this means next to nothing to me.

Other features seem similar to the NF7-S, except perhaps that the AN7 has rounded PCB corners while the NF7-S has supposedly more fragile straight corners. Oh and I think the AN7 has the new audio PHY Realtek ALC-658 while the NF7-S has the older ALC-650. Is the 658 so much better than the 650, I don't know.

I currently own a nice lapped heatsink and an empty computer case, together with a spare hard drive and while my wallet is objecting, I'm damn tempted to complete the system. Prime utility of the system would be OS testing and FAH, as well as a spare box in case I beat to death yet another computer.

Don't suggest me an Athlon 64 rig, I don't have enough cash (I don't even have for a Barton + nForce2, but that's another story).

P.S. SpelChek tells me the plural of "worth" is "worths". I've been writing "worthes" for more than four years now. WHY IN HELL DID NONE OF YOU EVER TELL ME I WASN'T WRITING IT CORRECTLY??? You have no heart for poor non-english-speaking members trying hard to avoid looking like illiterates.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Just stumbled on that review at Hexus.net on the AN7. Seems to compare it to the NF7-S v.2.0 too. Haven't read it yet, but will. Me don't expect a fantastic review however.

ddrueding

Fixture
CougTek said:
P.S. SpelChek tells me the plural of "worth" is "worths". I've been writing "worthes" for more than four years now. WHY IN HELL DID NONE OF YOU EVER TELL ME I WASN'T WRITING IT CORRECTLY??? You have no heart for poor non-english-speaking members trying hard to avoid looking like illiterates.

Actually, both are wrong in this case. The appropriate phrase would be:

"...and I wonder if it is worth a small premium..."

fool

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
And to be honest the "however" should be left out entirely.

The should should read could.
Perhaps one might feel that any statement containing the sentiments "review at hexus" and " not fantastic" is somewhat tautological.
In which case the however would be redundant, but not inappropriate.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
In the strictest sense, "review at hexus" is a fact rather than a sentiment.

It would be better to employ a dash instead of a comma in the last sentence.

Last, but by no means least, "Perhaps one might feel" is a tautology.

BTW fool, you use language better than anyone else on this board. :wink:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My remark was mostly for spelling. None of us always uses perfect grammar. Let's not be over-nitpicking.

So far, this has been a very informative thread about the AN-7. :roll:

SteveC

Storage is cool
Coug, there's a review of the AN-7 here. I just quickly read it, but other than the addition of an optical-in audio port, it doesn't look much different from the NF7-S.