Adblock Plus "Malware Domains" filter sub breaks YouTube

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Link.

reddit thread.

You will need to click the "Actions" button for the "Malware Domains" sub under the "filter preferences" option of ABP and update. I guess these don't update everyday as some of the subs were a few days old.

Perhaps I should look into the other adblocker you guys are using.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As far as I'm concerned, if it can't have the Malware Domains block list installed, it's not worth using in the first place.
I think most Adblock Plus-type extensions usually check at browser start. I'm not sure if they check more often than that.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
As far as I'm concerned, if it can't have the Malware Domains block list installed, it's not worth using in the first place.
I think most Adblock Plus-type extensions usually check at browser start. I'm not sure if they check more often than that.

I agree. I simply had to update the sub and all is well, but I did notice that some of the subs were behind a few days on updating.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
It happened again. I had to go into AB+ and manually update all my subscriptions for Youtube to load properly. Prior to updating the "last update date" was today so not sure what's happening or what sub caused the problem.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Handruin

Administrator
I think they're trying to sidestep this for sure. Even with my whole-house block list they sometimes get around this when new ad servers are connected up. Many of the channels I follow already have in-video advertisement which I respect helps support their channel but on top of that to get a 15-30 sec ad from YT is annoying when they already restrict and suck from the content producers. It's no easy problem to solve and I'm skeptical the Youtube Red program with solve or help this.

ddrueding

Fixture
Why are you skeptical about YouTube Red? I does exactly what it says; no ads (except in-video) and the creators I watch get more money than if I'd watched ads.

Handruin

Administrator
Why are you skeptical about YouTube Red? I does exactly what it says; no ads (except in-video) and the creators I watch get more money than if I'd watched ads.

I believe that it works from my side as a consumer but I'm skeptical if it'll keep the ecosystem working long-term for the content-creators. YT continues to put larger constraints on the advertising methods and revenue and for smaller content creators this might give some income but I've read that it doesn't work well for those with smaller channels. I feel it'll cause content-creators to venture out to alternatives. Perhaps things will improve with time as they figure out the right way to compensate everyone. This can't be an easy problem to solve.

ddrueding

Fixture
Fun jobs work for a very small percentage of the people that want them (photographer, musician, sports, YouTuber, etc). Nothing, including this, is going to change that. If you have a small YouTube channel you also have a day job. Just like 99% of Hollywood. From what I've heard, the amount of money YouTube Red is bringing into the ecosystem is so much higher (per view) than ad revenue that it can only be good.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital

I've seen a couple videos that included a "Hey, if you like this, watch what I do on Youtube Red!" Functionally, those channels are now full time ads shilling the idea of giving Google, rather than the channel creators, more money.

Of course, I'm also not going to be watching an external ad any time soon, but if I want to give someone $10, I'd rather just give them $10 than give $10 to Google and hope that $1.50 of that makes it to the the channel I like enough to pay for.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've seen a couple videos that included a "Hey, if you like this, watch what I do on Youtube Red!" Functionally, those channels are now full time ads shilling the idea of giving Google, rather than the channel creators, more money.

Of course, I'm also not going to be watching an external ad any time soon, but if I want to give someone $10, I'd rather just give them $10 than give $10 to Google and hope that $1.50 of that makes it to the the channel I like enough to pay for.

To be fair the $10 for YouTube Red doesn't really company to what I give them on Patreon, but I'm sure it is better than the ad revenue I wasn't going to give them anyway.

I've also never seen a video trying to promote red-only content. AFAIK all the channels I watch are still entirely unrestricted.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I started seeing ads on YouTube. Went into Adblock Plus and all my filter subscriptions were gone?!? Don't know if AB+ was recently updated causing the problem on if Noscript is doing something. I added all the subs back and things seem fine now.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I avoid YouTube ads with my Red subscription. It works flawlessly, everywhere, and the content providers still get paid!