Adblock Plus to begin sucking

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you poke around on the site, they say one of their top priorities is to bring parity to the Chrome version of ABP. Though at the same time, ABP was an offshoot of the original Adblock. Hopefully someone else will fork a proper adblocker if these settings are not easily changed.

ddrueding

Fixture
The standard way of disabling this new feature does not require about:config...they've put it right in their preferences page.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
ABP has always sucked, but the original Adblock got way too long in the tooth for me to keep using. This crap chaps my hide.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I didn't like the way Wladimir Palent usurped development of the original Adblock, but from a functional standpoint, building in the subscription updater is a big enough carrot to put up with one dickheaded developer.

But recently ABP has incorporated or gotten commercial funding somehow and now all of a sudden some advertisements are OK. And that's bullshit. I'm sure someone will fix the issue so that there's a minimum of screwing around to fix things, but this is something that annoys me to no end.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Just had ABP update to v2 on my netbook, took all of 2secs to disable the 'allow ads' function...

I just question how their reputation will survive this, as most users will install it, and think that all ads are blocked, only to have a few get through. IMHO, their immediate thought will be "this crap isn't working" and will remove it... and then leave negative feedback on Mozilla's feedback page...

ddrueding

Fixture
The thing that is making my life most miserable is that after the transparent update, on next start up my users are seeing a screen they don't understand. I have deployed ABP on every machine I've built in the last several years with at least 1,000+ still in operation by people who won't understand what it is telling them. I'm getting a call every 30 minutes on this.

Handruin

Administrator
That's pretty bad. Maybe see if you can send out an email to your clients/customers with information on what the new screen is. I saw mine pop up this morning and it was very simple to disable, but I completely understand that many other people will not understand what that means.