Adding front USB 2.0 ports to an old box.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I need to add Hi-Speed USB ports (at least two), accessible from the front panel of an aging computer system. The computer is a P3 866MHz on a VIA-based motherboard that hasn't integrated USB 2.0 ports. The enclosure doesn't have front USB ports. The OS is Win2K.

I am considering this Sagent card + 5¼bay.

M501-1140-main.jpg

Do you have a better solution?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
have you thought about just using USB "extension cords" or a device that gives you a few ports like some keyboards and monitors do? After building a nice new computer for my parents and then watching them break TWO front USB ports, I hooked up a USB extension cord and taped the female part to their desk. Problem solved.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I need USB 2.0 ports and the ports on the motherboard are USB 1.1. An extension won't upgrade my USB 1.1 ports to USB 2.0 ports.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sabrent quality is questionable, in my experience. My PC has 2 USB-1 ports in the back. I have a USB 2.0 PCI card in my PC, and have done what Andy did - have a 6-foot USB 2.0 extension cord plugged in the back and coming out to the front. May not be pretty, but works great for me.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I installed it yesterday and while it's true that the front module felt shaky, it did work. Oh and I forgot to add that this module fits into a 3½ bay, not a 5¼ like I first thought.

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
I think I'll be going down the route that Andy suggested also - my NForce 2 mobo's USB ports are supposed to be USB 2.0, but are flaky to say the least :crap: Some devices work OK (my Creative webcam and Sidewinder joypad), but storage devices such as digital cameras and USB flash drives won't work properly (such as the the 1GB Dane-Electric pen drive I bought last week :cursin: - it works fine on my work laptop, several work PCs and my friend's pair of Shuttle boxes, but flat refuses to function on my home PC where I actually need it; any attempt to copy data to or from it produces 'file not found' or 'delayed write fail' errors in XP when attached to any of the 6 mobo ports). Googling for similar issues with NForce 2 chipset boards produces plenty of similar tales of woe, so the chipset has to be the cause.... As one of my relatives has recently given me a digital camera as well, I can't see any alternative other than to disable the onboard ports and stick a USB 2.0 card in there instead and use a couple of extension leads for both devices - at least it won't break the bank (less than £10 for the lot I should think).

GM