Air Cat strikes again...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's 2:20 am, and I'm watching Winning! It's a movie about a Neuman finding his new wife sleeping with Robert Wagner, basicly because he neglects her for a race car...

While that's going on, my cat jumps to the top of the door, and starts walking around...

Talk about an analogy... Time to play with the cat.

:mrgrn:

GS

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Instead of starting a new thread every time your cat jumps in the air, can't you just amend an old thread with the new post?

Stereodude

Not really a
timwhit said:
Instead of starting a new thread every time your cat jumps in the air, can't you just amend an old thread with the new post?
Yeah, I was just remarking how their are far too many new threads in this forum every day.

Why, threads that are almost 2 months old might get bumped to the 2nd page!!!!

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
And where are the pictures?!

You can't start a cat-oriented thread and not post some pictures!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Anyone have any favorite free picture hosting websites?

Thanks

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
As requested, Air Jumpster pictures...

First, I hear a bang, grab the camera, and, this is my first shot:

gs1.jpg

As I get a little closer,

one of my favorite pictures:

gs4.jpg

And, once in the bathroom, I realize she's looking very relaxed on the top of the door, looking for moths...

gs3.jpg

Here's another picture, when she does the walkway routine on the top of the shower

gs2.jpg

And, that's how she earned the titles:

"Air Jumpster"

"Her Airness"

Hope you enjoy, and Merry and Happy Holidays..

GS

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Thanks Santilli. I laughed out loud at that third one. It looks like your cat has developed some kind of anti-gravity device and has floated up to the ceiling.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Nice shots Greg. I really like the one where she's looking for moths.

Handruin

Administrator
So, in one leap, your cat gets to the top of the door? That's insane.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Her airness does a number of different tricks. The first time I realized how high she can jump, she had followed me into the shower, after I was done, and started marking and sniffing around. Just to teach her to stay out of the shower, I closed the doors, with her inside, and started drying myself off.

I hear a rather loud rattle, and turn around, and she's walking on the top of the shower, waving her tail in the air, like she just doesn't care, out for a Sunday stroll. Nothing in the shower for her to jump off, except the floor.

There was a moth in my bathroom, and she wanted it, big time. Usually, I have to put some sort of cloth on top of the door, or shower, and she'll jump up to that, sort of a claw safety net. This time, bang, from floor to top of door :excl: :excl: :idea: :eekers:

She will also do off the toliet, onto the shower top, bathroom sink top to top of door, and, one of my favorites, top of kitchen cabinet, accross walkway, to other top of kitchen cabinets, an uphill jump, straight accross, with no arch, because the ceiling is in the way.

She has a realitive, a giant maybe, 19 pound version of her, same coloring, that lives up stairs, next door. He jumps to the top of the fence for the lower patio, maybe 4 feet, and, from that, jumps at least 10 feet, straight up, on the second floor, railing, where he lives. No running on the second, jump, just amazing spring, straight up, and he makes it look like he's jumping two feet, onto a coffee table...
:eekers: :excl:

Cats are amazing.

Happy Holidays'...

Greg

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
Handruin said:
So, in one leap, your cat gets to the top of the door? That's insane.

I've seen a few cats do these sorts of things. Manx cats are the worst about this sort of thing. You always see claw marks up near the top of the door.

Some cats still have the wildness in them that their ancestors had, which they used to explore rock ledges and tree branches for birds and rodents.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
When I started to get an idea of her jumping ability was playing with fake mice. She loves it. She gets behind a door, or a box, and crouches. I throw the mouse, pretty hard, to very hard, and she jumps high enough to hit it with a paw, knock it down, and get ready for the next one.

The following picture was the result of a fastball, about chest high, right over her head. Jumpster went straight up, over the height of the door handle, did a mid air 180 front to rear turn, and took off after the mouse on landing.

gs5.jpg

Keep in mind, she's on her way down in the above picture.

And, just to show you how Much Jumpster loves the Holidays, we have this picture for all you Scrooges in the forum:

And to all a good night :wink:

GS
gs6.jpg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Funny how different things happen.

We have a ref who is nearly 70, and he had a golden retriever. Everytime I talk about Jumpster, he tells the story of why he's still with us.

He had a heart attack, fell, and was trying to reach the phon to dial 911. The dog went over, picked up the phone, and brought it over to him, and he dialed 911. He could NOT have made it on his own. So he's still here, and very greatful to God, and his now deceased dog, for his extra time here.

Doesn't owe anyone a dime, and just enjoys each day as it comes.

Great guy.

Great dog.

As for the cat: My cat was 1/2 feral, as close as we can guess. We know the mother was, but, the father could have been a big tabby next door, or another cat we don't know about. The mother cat left the litter early.

Jumpster pretty much, acts like she's human, and does the same things we do, mirroring behavior.

On a regular basis, she would walk on the keyboard for my computer, before I put it in a sliding shelf. She hates water, but, after I'm done, she'll go into the shower after me. Likewise if I'm taking a bath, she'll put paws on the tub, and look in.

She also mirrors human behavior. If we are laying next to each other,
and I don't pet her, she'll 'pet' me with a paw. This morning I woke up to a paw on my toe, no claws, telling me it was time to get out of bed, and of course, feed her. She has a hungry meow, a I'm not getting enough attention meow, and a I'm being bad katty, meow.

Some others, as well.

She just cried, and, when I went to find her, she had a string, which is her favorite, or second favorite toy, and she wanted me to swing the string for her.

Dialing 911? Unlikely that's mirror behavior, but, on a handicap phone, with big buttons, and a little help from the Lord, I can see it happening.

God Bless and Happy New Year.

Sincerely

Greg

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That is typical small predator behavior. Body weight of the domestic cat is low, so jumping ability compared to body length is more noticeable compared to the larger species.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio

Any chance you can past in the links for the smaller pictures, for the nasa stuff? I have them posted in the moderators forum.

Thanks

Greg

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
But they are much better. What's the max size pictures that we should allow? I'm using 1680x1050, but I know most are more limited. I think 800x600 should be fine.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'd like to try 1024, but, it maybe too big.

CougT: feel free to delete the pictures from my post, or, if you've got time, you can simply change "large" to "Small" in my picture links, and, that should give you 800X600 pics.

sorry for posting the big ones...

g
s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The above post refers to the NASA pictures, in the thread "Something Random"

gs

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
In many forums no more than ~800 pixels on the long side is considered appropriate for inline images. However, others may specify NMT ~200KB, with no dimensional limitations. Larger images should be linked. It goes without saying, but the images should be cropped to best effect prior to resizing. For some reason I see a lot of badly composed images posted in non-photo forums without any cropping whatsoever. :(

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Santilli said:
CougT: feel free to delete the pictures from my post, or, if you've got time, you can simply change "large" to "Small" in my picture links, and, that should give you 800X600 pics.
I only have admin powers on the front page, not in the forums. I cannot edit your posts.

Thinking about it, I could do funny things if I had the right to edit even just your posts. I could do things like add a "P.S." note at the bottom of all your posts when you write about scuzzy, telling : "Scuzzy is only good value for folks with an overly sensitive seat of the pants" or something like this. Or "My dual-Xeon is for Jumpster, my cat. I type my Word documents on a Cray system." ;-)

[/poking]

Aren't we supposed to have mods spread over the world for 24/7 overseeing? JoJo, I know you have a newborn at home, but it doesn't take 8 hours to change a fully loaded Huggies. Come over here (without the used Huggies, please) and do your job.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'll size to 800 X 600 from here out, considering how the above post.

gs

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
My cat just did a poop so smelly she not only covered it with litter, but PICKED UP ONE OF MY TOWELS, AND COVERED THE POOP WITH THE TOWEL :excl: :excl: :wink:

She's never done that before, but it was REALLY smelly.

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Caught Jumpster doing her thing with the Nikon D50.

She does a nice, four foot, easy takeoff lands easily, and walks around, with the goal to be knocking my hair conditioner, and soap to the floor.

gs10.jpg

gs9.jpg

gs11.jpg

gs7.jpg

gs8.jpg

This is a minor, easy jump for her.

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Here's a couple of nice shots of the neighbors cat. She's really sweet, and affectionate, but, when she has had enough petting, she bites hard to let you know. Had to take my girlfriend to the hospital, since she nailed a vein when she bit her.
nc1.jpg

nc2.jpg

I've got to get a couple more shots of the outside, for perspective.

Between this cat, and another, male, very similar in appearance, they all can, and do, really jump around the building.

S

time

Storage? I am Storage!
In my experience, it's a good idea to scruff a cat if they bite you. You just need to make it clear that the behaviour may have consequences.

There's a theory that antisocial behaviour like this stems from early maternal separation, i.e. the mother needs to correct the kitten while they're learning social interaction, which takes about 10 weeks. Unfortunately, many are separated at six weeks.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
time said:
In my experience, it's a good idea to scruff a cat if they bite you. You just need to make it clear that the behaviour may have consequences.

There's a theory that antisocial behaviour like this stems from early maternal separation, i.e. the mother needs to correct the kitten while they're learning social interaction, which takes about 10 weeks. Unfortunately, many are separated at six weeks.

Our cat, the mother took off, she was feral.

The cat below I think, is either abandoned, or a seriously outdoor cat.
She's very strong, and getting into any kind of corrective behavior would require thick clothing, and strength, niether of which we had when she bit us.

Her claws are real sharp, and one can end up like swiss cheese easily.

I used to pick up Jumpster by the scruff of the neck, and say no, with my mouth, when she was younger. That is, until one day, I became allergic to her, and, my throat nearly became so swollen it was closed.

She has learned how hard she can bit me, but, I have thicker skin then her mother, and, she has drawn a bit of blood on occassion, playing with mom.

GS

Handruin

Administrator
Occasionally my cat will bite while I'm petting her. She's yet to break the skin, but she knows the biting isn't tolerated. I usually brisk the top of her head with my hand to let her know it's wrong. Or, if my water bottle is near by, she'll get squirted.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, it's air cat time again. It's spring, and, we've had more rain then you can imagine. Devil's Slide, Highway 1, south of San Fran, is washed out, for a long time.

It's been raining for nearly 3 months, with SEVERE results.

Around here, we have huge pollen bloom, along with massive masquitos, and,
along with that, massive may flys, to eat the skits.

MY SO leaves the door open, result, I've got about 5 real good bites, and, one giant may in the house. Grabbed it, took it in the bathroom, and, let it go.

Took jumpster, what, maybe 6 minutes, and a low located light, to track it down, paw it, play with it for about 30 seconds and eat it. :profright: :arge: :cheers: :puke-l: :puke-r:

Being feral, she has no lack of killer instinct...

S

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Send some of that rain our way. We are on our third year of (continuous) water restrictions due to not enough rain and inept government forward planing.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Canberra is about 300km (190mi) from Sydney, which has also had water restrictions for three years. Brisbane only moved to serious restrictions last year - no sprinklers or irrigation systems and handheld watering 3 days a week between 7pm and 7am (if you want to be mozzie fodder).

Many parts of Oz are facing changed rainfall patterns. Specifically, rain increasingly falls on the coast rather than inland. Unfortunately, the catchment areas (and dams) are of course inland. :(