AMD Phenom II X6 1090T is here.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The new AMD Phenom II X6 1090T has appeared on my price lists today. Same price as a Core i7 860 or i7 930. An asian web site claim to have overclocked one sample up to 4.2GHz, using only 1.4V Vcore. Not bad. Yet I haven't found any review from a reputable source.

I wonder how fast it is at F@H?

The AM3 motherboards are quite a bit cheaper than the X58-based boards, but many H55 and P55 are in the same range. The i7 must consume less wattage though.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Combien quoi? Le prix?

Roughly 290$. I think it's not too bad. Let's not forget that it's 6 cores at 3.2GHz. It has a 125W thermal enveloppe.

Handruin

Administrator
Is the price of $290 your price or what you sell it for? I saw boxed listings for the i7 860 and i7 930 for $199 today from microcenter.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's pretty much the price I pay them. I sell them over 300$, obviously. I don't know how Microcenter does to sell them at this price. There's always been a slight disparity between the price in the U.S. and here, but it's never been that large before. Only the Core i7 seems to be affected though. If I compare my prices on other processors with those from, let's say, Newegg, I'm not that off.

Speaking of Newegg, it sells the i930 for 294,99$. That's more in line with what's on my price lists.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know how microcenter can price them that low either. They limit to in-store purchase only hoping you buy other stuff. When I bought my i7 860 at that price, I did buy other stuff along with it. When I compared the prices to newegg for my other parts, they were equal on all but one or two. The difference wasn't worth ordering from newegg, so I bought everything from microcenter.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Microcenter seems to always have some deal or other going on CPUs. I'm guessing it's a loss leader for them, to get people in the door. On the other hand, the employees know nothing and can't even locate smaller products most of the time. If I didn't have a customer a few blocks away from one I wouldn't bother.

I'm kind of looking for an excuse to buy some AMD-based systems, but I don't see myself selling anything as high end as a six-core PC.

Handruin

Administrator
The guy that helped me at microcenter was very knowledgeable. He was able to find everything I asked for and we were even discussing revisions of CPUs for overclocking, etc. He asked if I had any kind of AV and recommended NOD32 since I told him I didn't use anything. I gained a little respect for him and that place that day.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ask them for a small part sometime, like a cable or fan adapter. Watch them look for that part for two minutes and then disappear.

Last time I was at Microcenter I wound up having to explain to a group of employees that the guy who was asking about "iSCSI" was not talking about the hard drives and did not want an $80 cable.

Stinker

What is this storage?
I have always had a good impression of the Microcenter employees I was exposed to. Very professional and knowledgeable. But, I guess there's a bad apple everywhere, now and then.

Handruin

Administrator
It's hard to judge the entire chain on either of our three samples (both good and bad). From my specific experience it was several steps better than any compusa or bestbuy experience when asking for computer parts. I've only been there a couple times, but I would go back if I needed something sooner than online could provide (or the price was right).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Ask them for a small part sometime, like a cable or fan adapter. Watch them look for that part for two minutes and then disappear.

Last time I was at Microcenter I wound up having to explain to a group of employees that the guy who was asking about "iSCSI" was not talking about the hard drives and did not want an $80 cable.

At least you have some retail computer store options. I have to drive >100 mi. :(

ddrueding

Fixture
I haven't been to a retail computer store in a long time. Occasionally it sucks, but at the same time I can (nearly) always get exactly what I want. No need to compromise on make model or anything else to accommodate their inventory.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I haven't been to a retail computer store in a long time. Occasionally it sucks, but at the same time I can (nearly) always get exactly what I want. No need to compromise on make model or anything else to accommodate their inventory.

That is not so easy either. Most of the time FedEx is very expensive for shipping, since UPS has the larger market. Unfortunately it is not a simple thing to drive to the depot and pick up a box from UPS. Either way it is a pain. At least one could buy a few items at the CompUSA when they existed.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm fortunate in that I can have anything delivered to my office, and they will sign for it. Even exceptionally large items are automatically re-routed to our shop loading dock.