And another thing

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
My old Internode NBN connection was sluggish. I blame Internode.

My new Skymesh NBN connection at the shop is much faster.

Then I switched providers at home and - at the same damn time to confuse everyone! - a bloody mouse chewed the fibre-optic cable and took my service off-line! Who'da thunk it?

As a temporary measure, I used wireless, as it happens with a new 4G wireless gadget with wifi. To my great surprise, it was very fast! File transfers were nothing special (not that I measured - any difference small enough to be invisible to the naked eye is too small to worry about anyway) but the latency was sweet FA. Very impressive!

Today I finally got the new home NBN connection - and the latency is horrible! Reminds me of dial-up. Download speeds are probably fine (haven't really tried much yet ..... OK,I just tried and they are fine, quite impressive actually) but the 1 to 3 second pause before any page starts to load is awful.

I suspect it is Telstra's weirdo DNS system at fault here - load a second or a third page from the same site and it seems to work just fine. WTF?

PS: How do I know Telstra's DNS system is weird? Easy one: everything Telstra does is weird.