Annoyance of the day - ATM charge for usage

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm the opposite. I've never spoken to a teller inside a bank branch or at a drive up. I do everything through the machines.
I find that tellers and bankers are very useful for fixing problems.

ATMs are kind of like planes.... They're quite safe, but when things go wrong, it tends to be catastrophic.

If there's a problem, you end up having to talk to those people inside the bank, so why not just cut out the middle-machine.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My banking needs are met by ATMs. I don't see a reason to stand in line or bother a human being with my deposit-making needs.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I only use my debit card at Costco as they only take AmEx (and I think) Discover. Everything else goes on Chase rewards credit card. If I need cash, which is rare, I just get $20-40 cash back when buying something.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My banking needs are met by ATMs. I don't see a reason to stand in line or bother a human being with my deposit-making needs.

Sure, Mr. Moneybags. ;) For those of us company employees that receive automatic deposits twice per month, we need to withdraw cash. I deposit maybe 5 checks in a year.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Supposedly, Wells Fargo has decided to abandon its ATM/debit card fee because of consumer backlash. i.e. an unsuccessful pilot project.

Bank of America is said to be readjusting its plans to allow more ways to get the fee waved -- i.e required balances, required automatic deposits, or potentially other criteria, but have not yet specified thresholds. Seems to me, they still intend to force more money out of the consumer but haven't figured out how much they can take without losing too many customers.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Supposedly, Wells Fargo has decided to abandon its ATM/debit card fee because of consumer backlash. i.e. an unsuccessful pilot project.

Bank of America is said to be readjusting its plans to allow more ways to get the fee waved -- i.e required balances, required automatic deposits, or potentially other criteria, but have not yet specified thresholds. Seems to me, they still intend to force more money out of the consumer but haven't figured out how much they can take without losing too many customers.

Mercutio

Sure, Mr. Moneybags. ;) For those of us company employees that receive automatic deposits twice per month, we need to withdraw cash. I deposit maybe 5 checks in a year.

I'm not made out of money. My living expenses are well within my means and the "extra" money I get from contracting work is the money I carry around all the time or use to buy my toys.

LunarMist

Well there are some advantages to using cash. You probably don't have ~$20K on credit cards like I do now. :(

LunarMist

:roll: Higher is not exactly a good thing. I should get mine paid off in November if there is a slim chance of a new 500 in December.

Mercutio

Well there are some advantages to using cash. You probably don't have ~$20K on credit cards like I do now. :(

In a normal month, I probably charge $2500 for stuff and pay it off at the end by the due date. I'm at least two months ahead on any bill with a recurring charge; I'm a whole year ahead on my power bill.

I don't like owing people money or interest payments, and stay ahead on bills is is a particular cushion I like to have in the event that something might happen to my job. It's peace of mind.

Handruin

Administrator
In a normal month, I probably charge $2500 for stuff and pay it off at the end by the due date. I'm at least two months ahead on any bill with a recurring charge; I'm a whole year ahead on my power bill.

I don't like owing people money or interest payments, and stay ahead on bills is is a particular cushion I like to have in the event that something might happen to my job. It's peace of mind.

I'm in the same position. I don't like having any debt on my name and was happy when I paid off my car this year. I don't pay bills in advance, but I save the money for when they are do and leave a bunch in reserve in case of losing my job. I should have enough to ride out a year+ if I were to lose my job tomorrow.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My only debt is my mortgage. My wife has student loan debt, but it's all at very low interest rates. I always pay off my credit cards every month.

ddrueding

Fixture
In addition to the mortgage, one of the cars isn't paid off. That is at 1.9%, and is on a short enough term (3yrs) and a large enough down payment ($10k) that the value of the car will never be less than what is owed - still technically an asset.