Another system build

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
BTW, you could have a faster Athlon II 630 (quad core) processor on a reliable and fully stuffed motherboard (Asus M3A78-EM) for less money.

ddrueding

Fixture
BTW, you could have a faster Athlon II 630 (quad core) processor on a reliable and fully stuffed motherboard (Asus M3A78-EM) for less money.

Is each core faster? Because these aren't power users, so I doubt even the second core will be worked very hard.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not going for "they won't notice". I'm saying that a quad-core 2.8Ghz CPU with 512KB of cache per core is slower for single-threaded tasks than a dual-core 2.96Ghz CPU with 3MB of cache. Considering that these are users who, for the most part, close Firefox and re-open it again if they are going from their web-based e-mail to Google Maps, multi-tasking is not on the menu (but fast app loading times are).

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If you can still get it, why not XP x64? After the last service pack, XP x64 really came to life. And it would use all the memory.
I have used the dual core Celerons and they are good for light work. But the the Core 2 Duo might be a better choice for the future. You never know what might be installed 6 months or a year from now.

ddrueding

Fixture
XP x64 is my favorite OS so far, but it does have some compatibility issues. I know that it doesn't like one of the older MSDE versions that is installed with our bidding software. Besides, I'm choosing the 4GB because it is the max for 32-bit windows, and can be a closed issue. I would be shocked if anyone went over 2GB of consumption.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My standard build at the moment is an E5300 (2.6GHz) with an Intel G41 motherboard, 4GB RAM, 2x 250GB drives and a Compucase mini-tower case.

In some cases, I'll swap the Intel board for the Gigabyte version, since it still has parallel and serial ports and I seem to have plenty of clients who use old printers.

I use two hard drives on any machine that might have data stored locally, with the second drive as a backup target.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Another point : a Pentium dual Core E6500 has the same frequency and front-side-bus frequency as the Core 2 Duo E7500, but it cost some 30$ less. That quite expensive for a single MB of additional L2 cache.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is that Vortex reliable enough for long term use? There are many complaints at the Egg.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Newegg product reviewers are about a quarter step above people who comment at Youtube or Aintitcoolnews.com - they're morons with no idea what the fuck they're talking about. "i bought one mutherbard and it didn't work but it shipped fast and im never buyin that kinid again newegg rulze and dont buy intel."

LunarMist

So you would put one in a system 1850 miles away and not be concerned about it?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Far more important: I'm putting a Vertex 120 in the PC I use every single day.

Granted, I trust my backup strategy, but that's beside the point. Like any other user, instability and outages really put me off. I won't use something in my personal rig unless I think it will work reliably and last a while.

LunarMist

OK, but every day is easy for me to fix. An inexpert user would have to be talked through the procedure.
I was thinking about buying the 30GB one on sale a couple of weeks ago, but opted against it. Maybe I will revist the SSDs in the Junetime.

ddrueding

Fixture

I think that that kind of distance would drive me to a RAID-1 of any kind of disk. I trust Vertex drives more than any moving-parts drive I've ever owned. I've deployed more than 50 of them, including into file servers, database servers, exchange servers, laptops, and desktops. I haven't even had one DOA or any kind of failure. I've run them way hot, way cold, hard-mounted to industrial equipment, etc.

LunarMist

OK, thanks. I've already deployed the velociraptor and spent more money than I intended to overall, so an SSD will have to wait until 2010. The main user is upgrading from a notebook, so anything will seem rather fast. ;)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Same purpose as Ddrueding's at the start of this thread, except they need to have a design life of 5 years, and there are two variants.

Configuration A
Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 mboard
Intel i3 540 3.06GHz CPU
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Corsair Force 80GB SSD
Inwin BK623 tiny tower with 300W 80+ PSU
DVD-RW drive
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Logitech MK320 keyboard+mouse
Samsung 2443BW 1920x1200 24" monitor or Sony 32" EX400 TV

Configuration B
Intel i5 760 2.80GHz CPU
Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3-1333
Sapphire 5670 512MB graphics
Corsair Force 80GB SSD
DVD-RW drive
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
HP ZR24w 1920x1200 24" S-IPS monitor

Notes
  • The motherboard has a lot of features, including DisplayPort and most importantly, two USB3.0 ports (only on the back, unfortunately).
  • The i3 gets the nod over the AMD 635 because it's faster with single-threaded software; the same reason Ddrueding gave 8 months ago. And power consumption is slightly better. Tough call because I would have liked a minimum of 4 real cores.
  • The 5670 products from Sapphire and XFX include DisplayPort (and Eyefinity). So they're more or less the cheapest, lowest power way to get it. With DDR5, 3D performance isn't too shabby either.
  • For me, the cheapest SandForce SSD is from Patriot, but I'm probably limited to Corsair in this situation. It would be nice to save money with just 60GB - the SSD is by far the most expensive component - but I'm worried that it will be too easy to fill. Thoughts?
  • The 13 liter case is a mere 276mm deep, making it especially easy to find space on a desk for. It can also be laid on its side and used a desktop. Four front USB2.0 + one 1394.
  • The wireless mouse uses only a single AAA battery, making it the lightest one I could find (but still heavier than a corded mouse). I would have preferred to get the keyboard and mouse separately, but I can't see any appealing mice at the moment - has anyone got any ideas, including corded? Biggest problem is that too many Microsoft and Logitech models are best suited to people with spider hands.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
OK, thanks. I've already deployed the velociraptor and spent more money than I intended to overall, so an SSD will have to wait until 2010. The main user is upgrading from a notebook, so anything will seem rather fast. ;)

LM: For what it's worth:
For some reason, on the HTPC, my install on a Vertex Turbo did not include the sound control panel. Conjecture is I should have pulled the sound card, done the install, gone back later and put the sound card in.

However, it's too much work, for little benefit, since this doubles as my SO's office computer, that she is rarely around to use, and HTPC. I kept the original Velociraptor I got from DD, 150 gigs, for playing games.

Pulling the Vertex Turbo, and going back to the Velociraptor, in this machine, didn't really seem to make much difference in normal tasks. I now have an extra Vertex 30gig Turbo laying around, and, I'm considering reinstalling, and using it as a page file, or something.

That, or, if I could find one, a decent, cheap, SATA laptop.

S

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Same purpose as Ddrueding's at the start of this thread, except they need to have a design life of 5 years, and there are two variants.

Configuration A
Intel i3 540 3.06GHz CPU
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Corsair Force 80GB SSD
DVD-RW drive
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Samsung 2443BW 1920x1200 24" monitor or Sony 32" EX400 TV

Configuration B
Intel i5 760 2.80GHz CPU
Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3-1333
Sapphire 5670 512MB graphics
Corsair Force 80GB SSD
DVD-RW drive
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
HP ZR24w 1920x1200 24" S-IPS monitor

Notes
  • The motherboard has a lot of features, including DisplayPort and most importantly, two USB3.0 ports (only on the back, unfortunately).
  • The i3 gets the nod over the AMD 635 because it's faster with single-threaded software; the same reason Ddrueding gave 8 months ago. And power consumption is slightly better. Tough call because I would have liked a minimum of 4 real cores.
  • The 5670 products from Sapphire and XFX include DisplayPort (and Eyefinity). So they're more or less the cheapest, lowest power way to get it. With DDR5, 3D performance isn't too shabby either.
  • For me, the cheapest SandForce SSD is from Patriot, but I'm probably limited to Corsair in this situation. It would be nice to save money with just 60GB - the SSD is by far the most expensive component - but I'm worried that it will be too easy to fill. Thoughts?
  • The 13 liter case is a mere 276mm deep, making it especially easy to find space on a desk for. It can also be laid on its side and used a desktop. Four front USB2.0 + one 1394.
  • The wireless mouse uses only a single AAA battery, making it the lightest one I could find (but still heavier than a corded mouse). I would have preferred to get the keyboard and mouse separately, but I can't see any appealing mice at the moment - has anyone got any ideas, including corded? Biggest problem is that too many Microsoft and Logitech models are best suited to people with spider hands.

I assume you are using the GA-H55M-USB3 as the Inwin is a m-atx case?

Have you considered the Silverstone SG02-F? m-atx as well, but more a "cube" case design, and similar pricing, but it takes standard ATX PSUs rather than the SFX ones in the Inwin.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
They are not of similar pricing because the In Win BK623 includes a power supply while the Silverstone SG02-F doesn't. I agree that it is preferable to get a standard ATX power supply though.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I assume you are using the GA-H55M-USB3 as the Inwin is a m-atx case?

Yes, sorry, typed the model number from memory. Actually, given the existence of the GA-H57M-USB3 with 2 crossfire slots, I don't know why 99.9% of people need anything bigger.

Have you considered the Silverstone SG02-F? m-atx as well, but more a "cube" case design, and similar pricing, but it takes standard ATX PSUs rather than the SFX ones in the Inwin.

I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but IMO that really is a stinker of a case. It actually takes up more desk real estate than most midtowers and - I seem to recall - is an absolute bastard to work on.

The Mt Jade design of the BK623 is actually reasonable to work on because once you lift out the optical drive and baffle, the interior is fully accessible.

The Silverstone SG03 or SG04 look better to me, but my choice was the more modestly priced Antec NSK3480. Two-thirds of the desk space of the SG-02, less depth (which is the problematic dimension) and pretty easy to work on. Unfortunately, it's out of stock everywhere that matters.

Another idea that was put to me is the Lian-Li PC-V352B. It's actually pretty big, but as the picture shows, it's meant to be turned sideways, reducing the depth and exposing all the ports to one side rather than the back. Redirects USB3.0 ports to the front as well. Very interesting, but ridiculously expensive.

Also noticed this:
T1-b.jpg