Any of you guys still building your own?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The joker is building mainframes all over again. Vintage era ones. I last worked with them in 1982. No thanks.

Handruin

Administrator
I like the project but I don't have the time or space to do something quite like that. The closest I get to something on this level would be with an Arduino. I realize it's still not even close to this low of a level of building a computer but it's fun to learn at a lower level.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm retired.

Wasn't the Altair (sp) a kit? Or am I thinking of Heathkit?

Cool project though.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Above about $4k I build, below that I just buy and drop in some upgrades.

hahaha, I know, that's why I'm asking Tony. I tend to be in the $2k to $4k range, with some exceptions. I have recently built some non-gaming ITX systems for loyal customers that hate OEM bloat and like the idea of a custom, reliable build.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tannin's philosophy in the past has been to make decent mid-spec all-around PCs. There's a compelling argument that centers around getting affordable quad- and hexacore systems with capable integrated graphics, especially for home users who might actually like the modest boost for gaming and content creation. It's the same reason sed was talking about getting a AMD desktop not that long ago.

ddrueding

Fixture
There is a system image on a bootable USB. My warrantied support consists of resetting the BIOS (to kill OC'ing) and restoring the image. If that works support will cost.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Just did, went with an OK Asus H97 board and the "bottom" end haswell with 960 video and trying out win 10 because why not?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Just did, went with an OK Asus H97 board and the "bottom" end haswell with 960 video and trying out win 10 because why not?

I just sold a mini-ITX system using the Asus H97I-Plus board. It's my first build in a long while that has an Asus board. Let's hope it goes well. I combined it with an i7-4790K and 16GB or RAM. But we're still using and selling WIN7 Pro. How has your experience been with WIN10 for this install?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Using an i7 in an ITX rig seems like a brave choice. How are you keeping it cool?

Windows 10 is just fine. The hassles and bugs are fairly minimal even if some of the UI components probably still aren't in the best state.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Using an i7 in an ITX rig seems like a brave choice. How are you keeping it cool?

The system does not have discrete graphics and only 1 SSD. The enclosure has a good ventilation system.

But why an i7? For the same reason that he has an i7 Alienware laptop in his garage - he's the type of customer that wouldn't have anything less, even though he will never need it. His wife has a similar setup, but with an i3. She's quite happy with it and uses it to manage all of the financial and legal work for their properties. He surfs the web, mostly eBay, and checks emails. He's a retired rancher, and his favorite show is Walker, Texas Ranger. If his smartphone frustrates him, he does a Coug and it's time for a new phone. When the household computers/network frustrate him, he'll gladly spend the money to have me fix it, no matter what it takes. Good customers. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
The system does not have discrete graphics and only 1 SSD. The enclosure has a good ventilation system.

But why an i7? For the same reason that he has an i7 Alienware laptop in his garage - he's the type of customer that wouldn't have anything less, even though he will never need it. His wife has a similar setup, but with an i3. She's quite happy with it and uses it to manage all of the financial and legal work for their properties. He surfs the web, mostly eBay, and checks emails. He's a retired rancher, and his favorite show is Walker, Texas Ranger. If his smartphone frustrates him, he does a Coug and it's time for a new phone. When the household computers/network frustrate him, he'll gladly spend the money to have me fix it, no matter what it takes. Good customers. :)

Yup, most of my customers are the same. Best kind, IMHO.